O'Brien wins Bear Bryant award

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
True but still not legendary IMO...Sumlin deserved it more than him....of course they gave it to Gundy last year so go figure...
His star running back left for USC (think he regrets that move?) in addition to the team losing its first 2 games. For him to do what he did at PSU under these circumstances, I think he deserves the award and recognition.

Sumlin did a fine job at A&M. Folks probably wonder two things: how much of it was Manziel and is he just getting more out of the talent than Sherman did?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I am more puzzled to why they gave the award to Chizik during his championship year in 2010 But they didn't give it to Saban in 2009 during his undefeated...championship year. Peterson got it in 2009. Last year Gundy got it.

Kind of ironic that Saban has only won the award, when he coached at LSU.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
My remark was more aimed at his not even being considered as a finalist. I just don't see how you can exclude him from the conversation...
I believe that his omission is really a type of flattery: everyone knows he's the best coach, so why bother saying it repeatedly. I doubt Saban even cares about the award. It's possible he told people to stop considering him for it and to give it to other guys. Saban is all about titles now, as his record indicates.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I had way more of problem with '09 than this year, although I agree he should have been a finalist. In '09, CNS beat the undefeated defending NC with a Heisman winning QB and a undefeated Texas team with a 2 time Heisman finalist and he both teams by more than 2 TD's. The award went the guy who the WAC and scraped by TCU in the bowl. C'mon man!!!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Typically these kinds of awards go to coaches of teams that did much better than expected not necessarily to the best coach. Coach Saban has better players because he and his staff are better at evaluating, recruiting and developing them. Winning 3 of the last 4 BCS Championships it's pretty convincing to me who the best coach is.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Typically these kinds of awards go to coaches of teams that did much better than expected not necessarily to the best coach. Coach Saban has better players because he and his staff are better at evaluating, recruiting and developing them. Winning 3 of the last 4 BCS Championships it's pretty convincing to me who the best coach is.
Well, then maybe they should create the Coach Nick Saban award and they could use the 'process' as the criteria for selecting the appropriate awardee. My one and only nominee is, naturally, Coach Nick Saban, until he retires and then we'll see how many qualify after that...a'ight!?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
And the guy who won four of the last eight BCSCGs wasn't even a finalist, even though he lost the heart of defense to the NFL. Just how far down into the sand shall we stick our heads?
When you win the BCS NC 3 out of the past 4 years, I think that deserves not only the Coach Paul W. "Bear" Bryant award for Coach of the Year, but probably the "Coach Nick Saban Collegiate Coach of the Year" Award! Coaching is recruiting players to be their best, teaching them to play each play as best they can, developing their minds and talent for their future, and just The Whole Process. Even Mrs. Terry probably deserves the award more than most.

By the way, has Coach Saban won the Coach Bryant award in any year that he has won the BCSNC at Alabama?

He is the BEST; therefore, give the award to THE BEST until he is no longer the Best!

JMHO!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.