Happy Lee-Jackson Day.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In Virginia, today is Lee-Jackson Day. The day is observed as a state holiday.
On Monday, Lee's Birthday is observed in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia & Mississippi.
In Florida, R. E. Lee's Birthday is celebrated in on Saturday.
In Texas January 19th is Confederate Memorial Day.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
On Monday, Lee's Birthday is observed in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia & Mississippi.
Holy mackerel, I thought it initially said Jackson-Lee as in Sheila Jackson-Lee.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Found out on Christmas day that I was going to be a first time GrandDad. A boy... At my suggestion...Jackson Lee Payne. Ya, I'm from the South.:smile:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Holy mackerel, I thought it initially said Jackson-Lee as in Sheila Jackson-Lee.
The thought had crossed my mind.
Those not disposed to commemorate the lives of T. J. Jackson and R. E. Lee can use this day to celebrate the contributions of the Congresswoman who "asked if Mars rover had taken an image of the flag planted there in 1969 by Neil Armstrong."

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Found out on Christmas day that I was going to be a first time GrandDad. A boy... At my suggestion...Jackson Lee Payne. Ya, I'm from the South.:smile:
Maybe he can join the armed forces and become Major Payne.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They have had a JR terrior for years. His name...Major. Also my idea.:smile:
The SiL is in the Army and they are currently in Germany.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No, Monday is not a celebration of Lee's birthday for Alabama state employees. It's a celebration of my birthday. Robert E. Lee just happens to have been born on January 19th like me.:wink:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Washington and Lee University has a week long break in February to commemorate Washington's birthday. Lee's birthday is a bit close to Christmas for such an honor. ;)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The thought had crossed my mind.
Those not disposed to commemorate the lives of T. J. Jackson and R. E. Lee can use this day to celebrate the contributions of the Congresswoman who "asked if Mars rover had taken an image of the flag planted there in 1969 by Neil Armstrong."
Tidewater, I do not have the exact quote handy, but I don't believe Ms. Jackson-Lee mentioned Armstrong or the year 1969 in her question during her visit to NASA. I doubt seriously she would have had those facts in order.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
MLK day biznachos...what it is!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoop there it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
At least that honors non traitors.
As does Lee-Jackson Day.

Robert E. Lee said:
I can only say that while I have considered the preservation of the constitutional power of the General Government to be the foundation of our peace and safety at home and abroad, I yet believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people, not only essential to the adjustment and balance of the general system, but the safeguard to the continuance of a free government. I consider it as the chief source of stability to our political system, whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it. …. The South has contended only for the supremacy of the constitution, and the just administration of the laws made in pursuance to it. Virginia to the last made great efforts to save the union, and urged harmony and compromise.
Robert E. Lee said:
"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South dearest rights, and have never seen the day when I did not pray for them."
Robert E. Lee said:
"My conduct during the last five eventful years has been governed by my sense of duty. I had no other guide, nor have I any other object than the defense of those principles of American liberty upon which the constitutions of the several states were originally founded; and, unless they are strictly observed, I fear there will be an end to republican government in this country."
Thomas J. Jackson said:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible; and when you strike and overcome him, never let up in the pursuit so long as your men have strength to follow; for an army routed, if hotly pursued, becomes panic-stricken, and can then be destroyed by half their number. The other rule is, never fight against heavy odds, if by any possible maneuvering you can hurl your own force on only a part, and that the weakest part, of your enemy and crush it. Such tactics will win every time, and a small army may thus destroy a large one in detail, and repeated victory will make it invincible."
Thomas J. Jackson said:
"You may be whatever you resolve to be."
Thomas J. Jackson to William "Grumble" Jones said:
"Through God's blessing, the enemy suffered severely."
Thomas J. Jackson to Captain John D. Imboden 1861 said:
“Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave”

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
By way of eulogy...
Benjamin H. Hill said:
"When the future historian comes to survey the character of Lee, he'll find it rising like a huge mountain above the undulating planes of humanity, and he will have to lift his eyes toward heaven to catch its summit. He possessed the every virtue of the great commanders, without their vices. He was a foe without hate; a friend without treachery; a private citizen without wrong; a neighbor without reproach; a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guilt. He was a Caesar without his ambition; a Frederick without his tyranny; and Napoleon without his selfishness; and a Washington without his reward. He was obedient to authority as a servant, and loyal in authority as a true King. He was gentle as a woman in life; modest and purer as a virgin and thought; watchful as a Roman vestal in duty; submissive to law as Socrates; and grand in battle as Achilles."

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
In Georgia, Lee's birthday will be officially observed on November 29, the day after Thanksgiving, this year.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Guess its a state's right to decide when to observe (or not to).
The actual birthday is 19 January. Virginia just observes it on the Friday before the Federal MLK Day observance.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/codeofalabama/1975/1-3-8.htm

Holidays enumerated; personal leave days; state holidays observed by closing of state offices; compensatory leave days.

(a) Sunday, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, Robert E. Lee's birthday, George Washington's birthday, Thomas Jefferson's birthday, Confederate Memorial Day, National Memorial Day, Jefferson Davis' birthday, the Fourth day of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day and Fraternal Day, Veterans' Day, American Indian Heritage Day, and the day designated by the Governor for public thanksgiving shall each be deemed a holiday. If any holiday falls on Sunday, the following day is the holiday. If any holiday falls on Saturday, the preceding day is the holiday. Veterans' Day shall be observed by the closing of all state, county, and municipal offices, all banks located within this state, and the public schools on such day. Public schools, grades K to 12, inclusive, and all public two-year institutions of higher education shall also be closed on National Memorial Day, and such closing shall be applicable to all students and non-essential employees. The Superintendent of Banks, with the concurrence of not less than two members of the state Banking Board, may authorize any state bank to close on National Memorial Day, the last Monday in May, and on such other days as may be declared by the Governor to be state holidays in honor of a special event. If any authorized state holiday falls on Friday, the Superintendent of Banks may authorize the Saturday following that Friday to be a holiday. The superintendent may also authorize the closing of banks at 12:00 noon on the day prior to Christmas Day, and the day prior to New Year's Day, if such days fall on business days.
(b) Of the above enumerated legal public holidays, the following shall be observed on the dates herein prescribed:
(1) Robert E. Lee's birthday - the third Monday in January.
(2) George Washington's birthday - the third Monday in February.
(3) Confederate Memorial Day - the fourth Monday in April.
(4) Jefferson Davis' birthday - the first Monday in June.
(5) Columbus Day and Fraternal Day - the second Monday in October.
(6) Veterans' Day - the eleventh day of November.
(7) Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday - the third Monday in January.
(8) National Memorial Day - the last Monday in May.
(9) Thomas Jefferson's birthday - the third Monday in February.
(10) American Indian Heritage Day - the second Monday in October.

Some are paid holidays some are not. State employees are given 1 personal day per year I guess they can choose which of the unpaid holidays to celebrate.
Tidewater, Lee was from Virginia do they have actual celebration there?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.