Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: Infographic on just how dominant Alabama was against Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by RollinTider1335 View Post
    Were you an attorney, accountant, doctor or teacher in a past life?
    I am still a practicing attorney and I was an accountant at one time...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Tider@GW_Law's Avatar

Were you an attorney, accountant, doctor or teacher in a past life?
    Can we PLEASE at least all agree to use the Oxford comma. That's all I ask.

Take those AP Rules back where they belong.

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Infographic on just how dominant Alabama was against Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I am still a practicing attorney and I was an accountant at one time...
    Interesting. I am currently an accountant. How/why did you make that transition, Counselor? ;-)

Interesting. I am currently an accountant. How/why did you make that transition, Counselor? ;-)
    Well, I had two older brothers who were CPAs and I went to work in one of their offices at 15. I went through Bama with an accounting major, working for the University Auditor, accountant for Northington Laundry, and for Jamison, Money, McWhorter and Farmer - but I didn't really want to become an accountant, so I went to law school. The last two years of law school, I worked half time for the AL Dept of Revenue as an income tax auditor. Finishing law school, I thought it would be a shame to waste all the accounting background, so I went to NYU and got an LLM in Taxation. That's the story...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tider@GW_Law View Post
    Can we PLEASE at least all agree to use the Oxford comma. That's all I ask.

Take those AP Rules back where they belong.
    Yes, please!!!

My favorite analogy on that is this sentence:
    The intramural teams competing in the tournament will each be wearing jerseys in one of the following solid colors or color combinations: blue, red, orange and white, purple, green and yellow and black.

Without using the Oxford comma, you cannot definitively say - simply by reading the above sentence - how many teams are in the tournament, much less what the actual colors all of the jerseys will be. You know there are at least five teams but there could be six even without the sentence technically being grammatically incorrect - and that's assuming that they correctly used commas in the series, meaning semicolons were unnecessary.

There are obviously four teams with these jerseys:
    - Blue Colored Jerseys
    - Red Colored Jerseys
    - Orange and White Colored Jerseys
    - Purple Colored Jerseys

However, you cannot determine whether there is only a fifth team that is wearing Green, Yellow, and Black Colored Jerseys; a fifth team wearing Green Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Yellow and Black Colored Jerseys; or a fifth team wearing Green and Yellow Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Black Colored Jerseys.

And - regarding punctuation marks - can we also please [at least try to] get everyone to stop using apostrophes for plurality, learn to use semicolons in a series with comma delimited elements and use commas in a series without them, and stop comma splicing three or four times in every other sentence by using commas as a "pause" placeholder?

[/RANT]

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

I hate when I dangle my participle in front of everyone.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Yes, please!!!

The intramural teams competing in the tournament will each be wearing jerseys in one of the following solid colors or color combinations: blue, red, orange and white, purple, green and yellow and black.

Without using the Oxford comma, you cannot definitively say - simply by reading the above sentence - how many teams are in the tournament, much less what the actual colors all of the jerseys will be. You know there are at least five teams but there could be six even without the sentence technically being grammatically incorrect - and that's assuming that they correctly used commas in the series, meaning semicolons were unnecessary.

- Blue Colored Jerseys
    - Red Colored Jerseys
    - Purple Colored Jerseys

However, you cannot determine whether there is only a fifth team that is wearing Green, Yellow, and Black Colored Jerseys; a fifth team wearing Green Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Yellow and Black Colored Jerseys; or a fifth team wearing Green and Yellow Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Black Colored Jerseys.

And - regarding punctuation marks - can we also please [at least try to] get everyone to stop using apostrophes for plurality, learn to use semicolons in a series with comma delimited elements and use commas in a series without them, and stop comma splicing three or four times in every other sentence by using commas as a "pause" placeholder?

[/RANT]

Just between you and I, it makes me crazy when I don't know where to put the comma at.

The above sentence has my two biggest grammatical pet peeves.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride--and never quit--you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards." Coach Paul Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by tmv85 View Post
    Just between you and I, it makes me crazy when I don't know where to put the comma at.

The above sentence has my two biggest grammatical pet peeves.
    I see what you did. I've had to face that the language is changing at the most rapid rate in centuries. In either HS or college, had I used the construction "have went" for "have gone," or "have ran" for "have run," there would have been a big, fat red "F" on the front of the paper. Those constructions were used only by uneducated people. Now, I hear it on national TV by commentators...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; January 19th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I see what you did. I've had to face that the language is changing at the most rapid rate in centuries. In either HS or college, had I used the construction "have went" for "have gone," or "have ran" for "have run," there would have been a big, fat red "F" on the front of the paper. Those constructions were used only by uneducated people. Now, I hear it on national TV by commentators...
    I cringe every time I hear somebody who "should" know better use incorrect grammar. We had an English teacher a couple of years ago who felt that teaching grammar was unnecessary because students would "get it" through reading. First of all, most students don't read. Secondly, if they do read, what's to say that what they do read is grammatically correct?
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride--and never quit--you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards." Coach Paul Bryant

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by tmv85 View Post
    I cringe every time I hear somebody who "should" know better use incorrect grammar. We had an English teacher a couple of years ago who felt that teaching grammar was unnecessary because students would "get it" through reading. First of all, most students don't read. Secondly, if they do read, what's to say that what they do read is grammatically correct?
    That's a lazy teacher who probably was afraid his / her own ignorance would be revealed.

On the subject of Grammar Nazis, I'm all for them. We can't at the same time make fun of the boogs' bad grammar, then attack folks who correct our own posts as Grammar Nazis or frustrated schoolmarms.

Earle, having tried for several years now to wring coherent sentences out of college graduates new to the business world, I have to say your estimate of 90% of errors being due to haste is overly charitable. Most of these folks just don't know. Then they attack anyone who points it out, no matter how constructively or tactfully it's done.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation First Team Alajambama's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

While vastly undereducated compared to most of you, I do try to punctuate correctly. My biggest pet peeve on message boards is the use of "text slang" and abbreviations.
    The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee...I-65 heading south.

He prefers Offense to Defense..........

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Yes, please!!!

- Blue Colored Jerseys
    - Red Colored Jerseys
    - Purple Colored Jerseys

[/RANT]

Can the rest of us who aren't as gammatically 'well versed' still post, and just try really hard to get it right???