Infographic on just how dominant Alabama was against Notre Dame

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just between you and I, it makes me crazy when I don't know where to put the comma at.

The above sentence has my two biggest grammatical pet peeves.
I see what you did. :D I've had to face that the language is changing at the most rapid rate in centuries. In either HS or college, had I used the construction "have went" for "have gone," or "have ran" for "have run," there would have been a big, fat red "F" on the front of the paper. Those constructions were used only by uneducated people. Now, I hear it on national TV by commentators...

Last edited:

tmv85

All-SEC
I see what you did. :D I've had to face that the language is changing at the most rapid rate in centuries. In either HS or college, had I used the construction "have went" for "have gone," or "have ran" for "have run," there would have been a big, fat red "F" on the front of the paper. Those constructions were used only by uneducated people. Now, I hear it on national TV by commentators...
I cringe every time I hear somebody who "should" know better use incorrect grammar. We had an English teacher a couple of years ago who felt that teaching grammar was unnecessary because students would "get it" through reading. First of all, most students don't read. Secondly, if they do read, what's to say that what they do read is grammatically correct?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I cringe every time I hear somebody who "should" know better use incorrect grammar. We had an English teacher a couple of years ago who felt that teaching grammar was unnecessary because students would "get it" through reading. First of all, most students don't read. Secondly, if they do read, what's to say that what they do read is grammatically correct?
That's a lazy teacher who probably was afraid his / her own ignorance would be revealed.

On the subject of Grammar Nazis, I'm all for them. We can't at the same time make fun of the boogs' bad grammar, then attack folks who correct our own posts as Grammar Nazis or frustrated schoolmarms.

Earle, having tried for several years now to wring coherent sentences out of college graduates new to the business world, I have to say your estimate of 90% of errors being due to haste is overly charitable. Most of these folks just don't know. Then they attack anyone who points it out, no matter how constructively or tactfully it's done.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
While vastly undereducated compared to most of you, I do try to punctuate correctly. My biggest pet peeve on message boards is the use of "text slang" and abbreviations.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Yes, please!!! :)

My favorite analogy on that is this sentence:
The intramural teams competing in the tournament will each be wearing jerseys in one of the following solid colors or color combinations: blue, red, orange and white, purple, green and yellow and black.

Without using the Oxford comma, you cannot definitively say - simply by reading the above sentence - how many teams are in the tournament, much less what the actual colors all of the jerseys will be. You know there are at least five teams but there could be six even without the sentence technically being grammatically incorrect - and that's assuming that they correctly used commas in the series, meaning semicolons were unnecessary.

There are obviously four teams with these jerseys:
- Blue Colored Jerseys
- Red Colored Jerseys
- Orange and White Colored Jerseys
- Purple Colored Jerseys

However, you cannot determine whether there is only a fifth team that is wearing Green, Yellow, and Black Colored Jerseys; a fifth team wearing Green Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Yellow and Black Colored Jerseys; or a fifth team wearing Green and Yellow Colored Jerseys and a sixth team wearing Black Colored Jerseys.

And - regarding punctuation marks - can we also please [at least try to] get everyone to stop using apostrophes for plurality, learn to use semicolons in a series with comma delimited elements and use commas in a series without them, and stop comma splicing three or four times in every other sentence by using commas as a "pause" placeholder?

[/RANT]

:biggrin2:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Can the rest of us who aren't as gammatically 'well versed' still post, and just try really hard to get it right???
:)

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Just between you and I, it makes me crazy when I don't know where to put the comma at.

The above sentence has my two biggest grammatical pet peeves.
I am surprised someone hasn't already told you where to put the comma. It's probably just a matter of time. ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, I had two older brothers who were CPAs and I went to work in one of their offices at 15. I went through Bama with an accounting major, working for the University Auditor, accountant for Northington Laundry, and for Jamison, Money, McWhorter and Farmer - but I didn't really want to become an accountant, so I went to law school. The last two years of law school, I worked half time for the AL Dept of Revenue as an income tax auditor. Finishing law school, I thought it would be a shame to waste all the accounting background, so I went to NYU and got an LLM in Taxation. That's the story...
if you were at northington you probably worked with/knew my grandfather. he worked there for what seemed like forever.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
if you were at northington you probably worked with/knew my grandfather. he worked there for what seemed like forever.
Actually, I lived in Northington, but, as the house accountant, I seldom really visited the laundry. I worked downtown at Jamison, Money. The funny thing was that I was so fed up with accounting (not to mention the UA bureaucracy), I went to Northington looking for a counter job. I interviewed with Mrs. Barrett (Col. Barrett's wife, who really ran the place). She told me that countermen were a dime a dozen, but she knew I was a trained accountant and they needed one. I couldn't figure it out for years, since I'd not put down the UA Auditor as a reference, bu there must have been some cross-connection. I had gone out at the Auditor's office with a flourish, leaving behind a ten-page treatise on what was wrong with the financial part of the administration. I found out later that they'd actually printed it up and used it...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Actually, I lived in Northington, but, as the house accountant, I seldom really visited the laundry. I worked downtown at Jamison, Money. The funny thing was that I was so fed up with accounting (not to mention the UA bureaucracy), I went to Northington looking for a counter job. I interviewed with Mrs. Barrett (Col. Barrett's wife, who really ran the place). She told me that countermen were a dime a dozen, but she knew I was a trained accountant and they needed one. I couldn't figure it out for years, since I'd not put down the UA Auditor as a reference, bu there must have been some cross-connection. I had gone out at the Auditor's office with a flourish, leaving behind a ten-page treatise on what was wrong with the financial part of the administration. I found out later that they'd actually printed it up and used it...
my granddad did a lot of the pick-up business and spent a lot of time on campus. i still remember getting to play in their van as a little kid. he worked there until he was 90 or so (he lived to be 102)

ah, the joys of leaving with a bang when you know what's really happening. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, believe me, I know. It makes me crazy when others don't. Hahaha
Well, as I said way back, I'm not concerned with errors in posts. The only times I correct spelling grammar are in thread titles, because it reflects on the site, whether the TS realizes it or not...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.