OL Bradley Bozeman will greyshirt

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
No no no. This is CNS once again manipulating they system and breaking his word to a young man...

This is said in total jest. Remember all the articles and crud about situations like this and medical issues? Seems like they are doing the best they can by the young man.
Yeah - just wondering how long it will take some pea-brained journalist at AJC to pick up on this, like they did last year with the RB (Taylor?) that ended up at UK.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Yeah - just wondering how long it will take some pea-brained journalist at AJC to pick up on this, like they did last year with the RB (Taylor?) that ended up at UK.
Apparently not long. I can't link it now, but Carvell already has an article posted about it on ajc.com.
What, does this guy give up sleep to write negative articles about Alabama and Saban? Apparently.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Wouldnt he only pay for the 2013 fall semester, and then his scholarship would start in January 2014. At that point he would still have 5 years to play 4, plus be able to participate in spring 2014 practice before his first fall with the team, which would be fall 2014.
yes

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's an interview Bradley did with Kevin Scarbinsky and Scott Griffith about his greyshirt. I'll warn you that both ask a few times about him being sure about accepting the greyshirt to Bama. I personally don't see it as anything other as the two of them doing their job and asking a question like any reporter should do.

Audio

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Here's an interview Bradley did with Kevin Scarbinsky and Scott Griffith about his greyshirt. I'll warn you that both ask a few times about him being sure about accepting the greyshirt to Bama. I personally don't see it as anything other as the two of them doing their job and asking a question like any reporter should do.

Audio
Reporters are just that, reporters. Not interrogators. No need for "a few times". Gather news and report it should be their only jobs. Just sayin. You and I both know why they "asked a few times". They're trying to create news, which is not their jobs.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Reporters are just that, reporters. Not interrogators. No need for "a few times". Gather news and report it should be their only jobs. Just sayin. You and I both know why they "asked a few times". They're trying to create news, which is not their jobs.
Unless it involves some other team's players.:wink:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And how does a reporter report the news without asking questions? Or looking for clarification on the interviewee's comments? Folks attacked Thayer Evans for doing the same thing you are wanting Scott and Kevin to do.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here's an article about his situation.
Oh look, an article that isn't completely brain damaged.

I can't get how the media tries to turn this into a bad thing.

Let's see, a kid gets 6 years to be ready for a potential pro career, or 5 years. 5 is better, right? Right? Uhh... come on now, they act like it's a crime but the kid is going to have more time to prepare himself mentally and physically. What is he losing here?

I'm glad to see that at least the player isn't as easily brainwashed as the media and sheeple.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh look, an article that isn't completely brain damaged.

I can't get how the media tries to turn this into a bad thing.

Let's see, a kid gets 6 years to be ready for a potential pro career, or 5 years. 5 is better, right? Right? Uhh... come on now, they act like it's a crime but the kid is going to have more time to prepare himself mentally and physically. What is he losing here?

I'm glad to see that at least the player isn't as easily brainwashed as the media and sheeple.
Facts don't matter. It's just that it gives them one more opportunity to bash Saban...

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
And how does a reporter report the news without asking questions? Or looking for clarification on the interviewee's comments? Folks attacked Thayer Evans for doing the same thing you are wanting Scott and Kevin to do.
Um, perhaps re-read what I said? Asking the same question multiple times is necessary? Ring a bell?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Um, perhaps re-read what I said? Asking the same question multiple times is necessary? Ring a bell?
Sometimes it is - think Manti Te'o.

Greyshirting can be abused, so I don't think that reporters should just brush the subject aside. But this sounds like one of the rare cases in which both the player and the school benefit, and both are more than happy with the arrangement. Ask away, but there really isn't anything to see here but a kid with his head on straight.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Sometimes it is - think Manti Te'o.

Greyshirting can be abused, so I don't think that reporters should just brush the subject aside. But this sounds like one of the rare cases in which both the player and the school benefit, and both are more than happy with the arrangement. Ask away, but there really isn't anything to see here but a kid with his head on straight.
A school can't force a kid to greyshirt, he has a choice just like Justin Taylor did last year. So what instances are you referring to that would be abusive? Just curious, not a flame.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
A school can't force a kid to greyshirt, he has a choice just like Justin Taylor did last year. So what instances are you referring to that would be abusive? Just curious, not a flame.
I think what he meant was if its done underhandedly...at the last minute to make roster room for a better player, but the kid isn't afforded the time or opportunity to look at other options.

Thats really where the issue resides.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
AL.COM said:
"We've been talking about it for about two months," Bozeman said of his discussions with the Alabama coaching staff regarding the grayshirt option. "It was kind of an option that could happen but they weren't really sure. We kind of kept it on the hush-hush. We found out this weekend it was for sure.
This is what I got from Scalici's article.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Exactly. Our staff is up front about the possibility of grayshirting, especially with kids that are coming off injuries (Bozeman; Taylor). BB sees the advantages of it, especially for an OL, that extra year of maturity/ development is extremely beneficial. We can't force a kid to take the grayshirt offer; they can go elsewhere. I feel bad for the kids that expect to enroll early, only to be turned away (USC incident this season); that is worse than asking a kid to grayshirt, but there's not so much negative press on that incident.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Couple of thoughts...

First off, yes, it is the media's job to interrogate. That's the point of an interview - no one forced Bozeman to go on the air and from all accounts Scott and Kevin were persistent but fair. No harm in that. Asking questions is how they report, and given the controversy, it makes sense to ask a question in those terms. In fact, it gave Bozeman and, by extension, our program a chance to clear its name. Worked well, I would think.

As for the abuse, I could envision a scenario where a greyshirt was offered late in the process or done in an evenhanded way that perhaps a student (for whatever reason) chose not to make public. I don't believe that ever happened at Alabama, but I could imagine a scenario where that might take place. Again, I don't believe that happened at UA but it's certainly a possibility somewhere, sometime.. Clearly a greyshirt is the best option here for Bozeman.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When a kid is not made aware of the change until the last minute, limiting his opportunities to find another "home".

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.