Scott Cochran Is Our Unsung Hero

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Scott Cochran's profile

When I watch Scott work I'm reminded of an opening line from the old TV show
The Six Million Dollar Man

'We can build him bigger, we can build him faster'...
Seems appropriate for the types of players we put on the field.
Other schools think they match up well with us, till we get on the field.

Last edited:

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
In his book, "How Good Do You Want To Be" Coach Saban describes the week of his coaches.

During the season they work approximately 100 hours per week.

On Sunday, following the game, they go in at 7 and break down the film. They get off around 6PM I believe because he says, "So they can spend some time with their families".

He's not easy to work for to say the least, but it's a pretty darn good paying job...lol

And let me say this...If I could work coaching football for 100 hours a week, I'd be in heaven on earth.

The key to happiness is doing something you can't wait to wake up and do.

My two cents :)

sip
Well they (coaches) are certainly well compensated for their hours. In the grand scheme it's still football and many make money that would make a successful surgeon blush.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When Gus hired his S&C coach, Aubs were sending and showing each other a YouTube video of him yelling at the Arky State players. A coworker of mine looked at me and mentioned Cochran. The Aubs looked up a video of him to see what he was like. Their enthusiasm went away after seeing Cochran's video. :D

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
One thing I've noticed about Coach Saban, he definitely sets the guidelines for the program, the game plan etc. but he doesn't try to change his coaches personalities. He allows them to be themselves.
I say that only because Cochran's personality and Coach Saban's are like night and day.
sip

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
CSC probably spends more time with the players than any coach on staff at Bama. I know a couple of former players that played for CNS and they talk more about CSC than any coach on the staff. To say that the man is loved and respected would be an understatement.
Also, someone mentioned Amy Bragg, and she too plays a big part in this team. As I was told, "Bama players don't eat pizza and ramen noodles.......much. There is an occasional sneak in" I would love to eat dinner each evening with these guys. Partly to say I eat with the Champs, but they eat good each night.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
CSC probably spends more time with the players than any coach on staff at Bama. I know a couple of former players that played for CNS and they talk more about CSC than any coach on the staff. To say that the man is loved and respected would be an understatement.
Also, someone mentioned Amy Bragg, and she too plays a big part in this team. As I was told, "Bama players don't eat pizza and ramen noodles.......much. There is an occasional sneak in" I would love to eat dinner each evening with these guys. Partly to say I eat with the Champs, but they eat good each night.
I'm trying to work out harder and to eat better. I'd love to have her day to day menu just to see the food groups she emphasizes.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I don't think his importance can be stressed enough. It's not only the players strength, but the ability to deal with injuries from a S&C standpoint that is critical as well.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I'm trying to work out harder and to eat better. I'd love to have her day to day menu just to see the food groups she emphasizes.
I can't go into much detail, but she plans the meals for charters and hotels as well. If you compared the menus from Alabama vs. let's just say AU you'd see why we're the championship team. It really is amazing. Every food has a purpose, seriously.

She does cut them some slack after the games though. After all some of them burn 5-10 pounds off each game. Maybe I should play football. LOL.

Scott and Amy are a valuable part of the process and great people. Lets just say I wouldn't trade 'em for nothin'! :cool:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Maybe Falcons call on Cochran?

Not to be a downer but I do wonder... Falcons just fired their strength and conditioning coach. Cited "philosophical differences". Falcons couldn't play 60 minutes with the best of 'em (like UGA <snort>) as shown against Seattle and SF <snort>. Any chance Coach Cochran gets a call?

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Re: Maybe Falcons call on Cochran?

Not to be a downer but I do wonder... Falcons just fired their strength and conditioning coach. Cited "philosophical differences". Falcons couldn't play 60 minutes with the best of 'em (like UGA <snort>) as shown against Seattle and SF <snort>. Any chance Coach Cochran gets a call?
Bite your tongue!
It may come down to CSC would much rather work with college kids than pro athletes. I wonder what the difference is between a college S&C coach who has a ton of say and power over the program, to say a pro team S&C coach who deals with players who train all over the country with other S&C people throughout the offseason?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.