Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Re: Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    No idea on the 10-2. I'm also guessing the Roundtable crew knew this was always the plan since Finebaum's exit has been in the works for months.

They may also be getting a raise for being in a "primetime" slot.
    Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

The Rondtable is moving from 10-2 to 2-6.

His satellite show will also be gone as it was just a mirror of the WJOX show. He has a no-compete for the next 3 months.
    What does 'no compete' mean? Finebaum can't be on the radio for 3 months?
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    I really like some of the young guys that work on Sat. mornings during the season on the JOX Gameday. Maybe something will come of that.
    I know that article/blurb mentioned that WJOX Program Manager, Ryan Haney, is leaving WJOX to go to 97.3. I want to say Haney was one of the guys who did the Saturday morning show...along with Pat Smith.

I assume 97.3 will transition Coach Max Howell out once Finebaum makes the move. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out by the end of the summer when Sports Talk Radio really begins to ramp up in the Southeast.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    They may also be getting a raise for being in a "primetime" slot.
    D&B used to be on the "drive home" slot back when they were on the AM JOX station. I have a feeling they will do a great job in that same time slot now. The problem is that we are in the off-season for the majority of listeners in the Birmingham market...so getting good sports talk from now to August is going to be very difficult once we get past NSD.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

BamaNation All-American Catfish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    What does 'no compete' mean? Finebaum can't be on the radio for 3 months?
    Pretty much. Most of the time the non-compete clause is only for that market. So, if he wanted to start a show for the ATL market, he probably could. It depends on how the clause is written. There's speculation that he could start a new show that would be satellite-based (SiriusXM) during the Birmingham blackout period and then just start broadcasting locally once the non-compete perod is over. Clay Travis says that PF will just take a 3-month vaction, though.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGyowski View Post
    I know that article/blurb mentioned that WJOX Program Manager, Ryan Haney, is leaving WJOX to go to 97.3. I want to say Haney was one of the guys who did the Saturday morning show...along with Pat Smith.

I assume 97.3 will transition Coach Max Howell out once Finebaum makes the move. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out by the end of the summer when Sports Talk Radio really begins to ramp up in the Southeast.
    I'm not that crazy about Howell, but I'd rather they move him to the midday slot and get rid of that horrific Sports Czars show.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

If the Boog, Haney is going to 97.3 then that station is doomed. Believe it or not, he will do more damage than what Finebaum could. And I am someone who has not listened to Finebaum in a LONG time, I can't wait till we get another OD show on a different station. That was my end of the straw moment with sports radio. I have given up on sports talk altogether. Tide Fans (and a few other sites) is more informative and entertaining to me.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Move this to non-sports if needed, but it's breaking now that Finebaum has finally left WJOX. After a 3 month no-compete, look for him to join 97.3 in Birmingham.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

The only downside for me, personally, is the Roundtable is moving to 2-6.
    i also kind of hate they are moving the Roundtable. it helps me get through the middle of the day.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

Post Thanks / Like

What delights me is that, in Alabama, it's long settled, by statute and court interpretations that non-competition clauses are void as against professionals. Ergo, Finebaum is, by definition, not "professional."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    What delights me is that, in Alabama, it's long settled, by statute and court interpretations that non-competition clauses are void as against professionals. Ergo, Finebaum is, by definition, not "professional."
    Somebody this morning made that point about non-compete clauses (I know they're basically worthless in my field). Another person said that they were enforceable against people in the media. Are media-related contracts different under Alabama law?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Somebody this morning made that point about non-compete clauses (I know they're basically worthless in my field). Another person said that they were enforceable against people in the media. Are media-related contracts different under Alabama law?
    It all revolves around the meaning of the word "professional" in the statute and there are a number of cases on that. My own experience is really more in dealing with it as its not applying to medical personnel. I had one medical client sign a contract lately with a NC clause, but we warned them that she did not think it binding nor felt bound by it. I don't really know about media. If PF's legal team were leery enough to pull him off the air for three months, then I'd assume they think he's not a "professional," within the statue. That would make sense, because the courts have usually taken sort of a traditional, conservative approach to the definition...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; January 22nd, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I don't look for PF to "find a home" at any other Bham based station. IMO I think he's plateaued in this area career-wise and is probably getting tired of pitting the UA/*U fans against each other. Also, he seems to have been star-struck on his last visit to NYC and is probably chomping at the bit to get back up there.
    I look for him to take his show to a larger market, or at least to an area that will support his burgeoning ego. Problem is, he won't find a market that is as big on football as are the folks in Alabama.
    But who knows? Maybe he'll grow to love basketball and soccer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    I don't look for PF to "find a home" at any other Bham based station. IMO I think he's plateaued in this area career-wise and is probably getting tired of pitting the UA/*U fans against each other. Also, he seems to have been star-struck on his last visit to NYC and is probably chomping at the bit to get back up there.
    I look for him to take his show to a larger market, or at least to an area that will support his burgeoning ego. Problem is, he won't find a market that is as big on football as are the folks in Alabama.
    But who knows? Maybe he'll grow to love basketball and soccer.
    You are pretty much mistaken across the board. Finebaum knows an easy gig when he sees one, and pitting Alabama/Auburn fans against each other is like shooting fish in a barrel. Even the national appeal of the show is based on the localized aspect.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick