Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I really like Bill King's radio program on XM 91 and listen to it on the way to work. It's all college sports with the main focus being on football.
Really like him too. It was really irritating when he left local radio here in Nashville. Even though he is a UT fan, he is very objective and is not hesitant to discuss the problems at UT. I thought it hilarious that when Randy Sanders was the OC at UT, he never would call him by his name, only RS.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I don't look for PF to "find a home" at any other Bham based station. IMO I think he's plateaued in this area career-wise and is probably getting tired of pitting the UA/*U fans against each other. Also, he seems to have been star-struck on his last visit to NYC and is probably chomping at the bit to get back up there.
I look for him to take his show to a larger market, or at least to an area that will support his burgeoning ego. Problem is, he won't find a market that is as big on football as are the folks in Alabama.
But who knows? Maybe he'll grow to love basketball and soccer. :rolleyes:
I see him doing something similar to Tim Brando. Brando originates his show from his home in Shreveport while it is simulcast on CBS Sports Network. PF could do the same while his show could air on one of any of the networks.

As far as going to NY, PF has commented about his trip there to Columbia University and the disdain that they seemed to have projected towards him because he was from Alabama. Of course, they didn't realize that his family is from NY only to have moved to the South at some point. Also, his wife is a successful MD in B'ham.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Yeah...Finebaum is not leaving Birmingham.

I think he could go the Joe Rumore route and just build a studio at home and simulcast from there. The only thing a professional studio does for him is keep him from buying all of his own equipment. I'm sure he could round up a few sponsors to cover that cost though. Most of his guests join him via the phone and he could probably still have a few in-studio guests from time to time even if he's in his own home.

In radio...it's all about your sponsors. Finebaum can draw in the best of the best when it comes to sponsors...because these businesses know people listen.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Other than the guest segments, he lost me a few years ago when the show became "Jim Rome Lite".
I have felt this way for quite a while...Rome doesn't really interact with the callers, just gives them the airwaves to rant or spew and then go and listen to their glorious selves on the podcast. I am amazed at how Darrel/Darryl from GA, Tammy, Jim from Tuscaloosa, Jim from Crestwood, I-man, Legend, et al. have made themselves noteworthy and almost acheived"celebrity" status when Finebaum lets them rant/spew the way Rome does...the only thing that sets Finebaum above so many others is, yes, his guests and when a big story breaks he's almost always on the forefront or "in the know".
I was a regular listener, not avid or devoted, I called on occassion, usually 3 or 4 times a year, heck, I was even a guest once back several years ago. When the big sports stories break, he is who I turned to for fast info...otherwise I had to filter out all of the regular callers, almost to the point where is was unbearable to listen.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I had Sirius when I traveled for work, thinking about signing back up. I liked King's show as well, never really caught on to him being a UT fan, but maybe that's because of Derrick Dooley there wasn't much to crow about. I would listen to Paul in the afternoons when out of town just to get some local news. Arute's show was pretty good as well, I listened when he was paired with Mike Leach.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Opinion about Finebaum is all over the board. I will say however, I think he deep down loves the SEC and he can talk about it but he's not going to put up with it from folks outside of this region. What he has done for the kid from Iowa which has CP has been tremendous. Finebaum took the time and went to vistit him and his parents were so thankful of Paul letting their son talk on his show on a daily basis. During the aftermath of the tornados of 2011, his show was pretty much dedicated to getting info out to victims as well as those who were looking for a way to help. If you'll remember, he had not been on Sirius for very long but he forged ahead trying to help the best he could. He was also instrumental along with Randy Owens in helping organize the Alabama Rises concert to raise money.

As for some of the callers you take the good with the bad. That being said I knda like when Legend calls after a win or better yet a barn loss. CLASSIC!

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
As for some of the callers you take the good with the bad. That being said I knda like when Legend calls after a win or better yet a barn loss. CLASSIC!
Legend is no better or more rational than Tammy. He's just right more often in his predictions because we've been winning. Swap the recent histories and the current directions of the programs and he'd seem just as delusional. And, he's just as classless. JMHO.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Opinion about Finebaum is all over the board. I will say however, I think he deep down loves the SEC and he can talk about it but he's not going to put up with it from folks outside of this region. What he has done for the kid from Iowa which has CP has been tremendous. Finebaum took the time and went to vistit him and his parents were so thankful of Paul letting their son talk on his show on a daily basis. During the aftermath of the tornados of 2011, his show was pretty much dedicated to getting info out to victims as well as those who were looking for a way to help. If you'll remember, he had not been on Sirius for very long but he forged ahead trying to help the best he could. He was also instrumental along with Randy Owens in helping organize the Alabama Rises concert to raise money.

Nice points about his show. I was in Salt Lake City when the tornadoes hit T-Town and the rest of the state that day in April. I tuned into the Weather Channel in the doctors lounge but not a lot of info at that early stage of the out break.

I have a app for Jox on my blackberry and tuned into the show. I will say this I did at least know what was going on 2000 miles away and the show did a good job. People he is an entertainer. He almost refuses to talk about the articles he wrote about Coach Bryant when he became a reporter for the Bham Post Hearld. So I for one now see him for what he is. I wouldnt care to buy him a beer or play golf with him but he does have an interesting show. If you dont like the show then dont listen. But I agree with what Bamamc1 says. I still cant stand what he wrote about Coach Bryant and that will be what i remember about finebaum.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
They may also be getting a raise for being in a "primetime" slot.
Roundtable wit and knowledge way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Finebaum Moron-Babysitting Variety Show.

This makes for a better hour-long ride home of the days I choose to listen, but it sends lunch-hour radio options down the tube for now. Hope they come up with something good as a replacement. Is the OD definitely staying 6-10?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Legend is no better or more rational than Tammy. He's just right more often in his predictions because we've been winning. Swap the recent histories and the current directions of the programs and he'd seem just as delusional. And, he's just as classless. JMHO.
Well, he didn't say that Legend wasn't delusional, just that he is fun to listen to and I agree. I've never understood the hate for the Finebaum show, I enjoy it for what it is, dumb fun entertainment. There is plenty of other serious sports talk radio, the Finebaum Show is a nice change of pace for the ride home (well, was), makes me laugh after a hard day's work. It's also a great reminder that all fan-bases have there share of dumb idiot redneck nut jobs.

tftplisa

1st Team
Jul 11, 2003
North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA
I enjoy the show living up in Ohio. I like hearing about Alabama football and SEC. I like the interviews and guests. The month after the tornado gave me insight found nowhere else. Yes there are some crazies on there and it can be like Jerry Springer....but what he does with guests like Robert from Waterloo and others shows me something about his character. Now if he could just get I-man to quit using the term "window-lickers"....that and "riding the short bus" drives me crazy. It's so offensive to anyone with special needs children.

I'll miss the show for 3 months.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Maybe, but the rush hour time slot gets a lot more ratings.
Yep . Mornings and afternoon drive are where it's at .

It was very odd back when NCC's popped up in our market and while nobody initially thought they would hold up , they either did or turned out to be too costly for some to battle . One of them had been a morning drive fixture for 30 years and these were for 12 months which caused some very hard times for anyone unwilling to move to another market . Radio was once a fun gig , but deregulation has pretty much been a disaster for most employees .

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I had Sirius when I traveled for work, thinking about signing back up. I liked King's show as well, never really caught on to him being a UT fan, but maybe that's because of Derrick Dooley there wasn't much to crow about. I would listen to Paul in the afternoons when out of town just to get some local news. Arute's show was pretty good as well, I listened when he was paired with Mike Leach.
When Bill was on a local show on the AM dial, it was no secret that he is a UT guy. But as was previously posted, he is fairly objective and treats his callers well. He's good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.