Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Re: Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

I think the guy from Columbus is Jim, may be a Barn fan.

I used to listen to him back when he had his night time show in the early 90s but switched to the other station's show because I thought he was too much of a jerk back then. And this was when he had normal people calling in.

As for how a show like his got on Sirius, have you ever seen Honey Boo Boo? I enjoyed hearing people from outside the area call in, but I like a show with a local focus. Sadly, most of the locals are the idiots who ramble and never make a point.

Do the regulars have a special number to call so they always get in every day?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Other than the guest segments, he lost me a few years ago when the show became "Jim Rome Lite".

I'd like to see him cut back to two hours -- 4 PM to 6 PM.
    "And the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson." -- Eli Gold, 1/7/10

"ZERO DOUBT" -- Tuscaloosa News Headline 1/10/12

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post

Do the regulars have a special number to call so they always get in every day?
    I believe they do.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

I did not know that this happened until yesterday on the way home from work when I was listening to the Sirius-XM channel that ran his show. There was another show being run in the time slot that had been his. Some of his regular callers were calling in to that show and were asking where the PF show went. Sounded like they were going through withdrawals!
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I only like the guest. The callers are a disgrace on all sides & a set up. 90% of the show is one caller talking about another & saying nothing about sports.

Jack Arute's & Packers show on XM are pretty good. I know CNS likes those show & is on regularly. I don't always agree but they are good shows IMO.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I really like Bill King's radio program on XM 91 and listen to it on the way to work. It's all college sports with the main focus being on football.

Finbaum is on by default when I get in the car to drive home. I have a 40 minute commute. I'll listen to it some but I'd be much happier if XM would put a show on which had more substance. I like listening to Herbstreet and used to enjoy the segment with Pat Dye and Gene Stallings. The regular callers wore thin a long time ago so I change channels as soon as I hear Jim or Tammy or Legend or any of the other numerous rednecks. "Paw ... I'm gon run around the stadium nekkid if Auburn loses to Alabama." Geez ...

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

All I can tell you is, without Finebaum on Sirius, I get no Alabama talk. So yeah, I'll be glad when he's back.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Finebaum's show is unbearable at times. He does have a good guest lineup during the football season though. I don't listen that often outside of football season accordingly.

He will be back by next fall. With the exception of national signing day, the PF show in the off season is rather dull.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Some info. regarding Finebaum's future possibilities, including ESPN interest...http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...m_already.html

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I really like Bill King's radio program on XM 91 and listen to it on the way to work. It's all college sports with the main focus being on football.
    Really like him too. It was really irritating when he left local radio here in Nashville. Even though he is a UT fan, he is very objective and is not hesitant to discuss the problems at UT. I thought it hilarious that when Randy Sanders was the OC at UT, he never would call him by his name, only RS.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    I don't look for PF to "find a home" at any other Bham based station. IMO I think he's plateaued in this area career-wise and is probably getting tired of pitting the UA/*U fans against each other. Also, he seems to have been star-struck on his last visit to NYC and is probably chomping at the bit to get back up there.
    I look for him to take his show to a larger market, or at least to an area that will support his burgeoning ego. Problem is, he won't find a market that is as big on football as are the folks in Alabama.
    But who knows? Maybe he'll grow to love basketball and soccer.
    I see him doing something similar to Tim Brando. Brando originates his show from his home in Shreveport while it is simulcast on CBS Sports Network. PF could do the same while his show could air on one of any of the networks.

As far as going to NY, PF has commented about his trip there to Columbia University and the disdain that they seemed to have projected towards him because he was from Alabama. Of course, they didn't realize that his family is from NY only to have moved to the South at some point. Also, his wife is a successful MD in B'ham.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah...Finebaum is not leaving Birmingham.

I think he could go the Joe Rumore route and just build a studio at home and simulcast from there. The only thing a professional studio does for him is keep him from buying all of his own equipment. I'm sure he could round up a few sponsors to cover that cost though. Most of his guests join him via the phone and he could probably still have a few in-studio guests from time to time even if he's in his own home.

In radio...it's all about your sponsors. Finebaum can draw in the best of the best when it comes to sponsors...because these businesses know people listen.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.