Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team wishbonedays's Avatar

Big A Re: Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

Quote Originally Posted by Jref View Post
    Other than the guest segments, he lost me a few years ago when the show became "Jim Rome Lite".
    I have felt this way for quite a while...Rome doesn't really interact with the callers, just gives them the airwaves to rant or spew and then go and listen to their glorious selves on the podcast. I am amazed at how Darrel/Darryl from GA, Tammy, Jim from Tuscaloosa, Jim from Crestwood, I-man, Legend, et al. have made themselves noteworthy and almost acheived"celebrity" status when Finebaum lets them rant/spew the way Rome does...the only thing that sets Finebaum above so many others is, yes, his guests and when a big story breaks he's almost always on the forefront or "in the know".
    I was a regular listener, not avid or devoted, I called on occassion, usually 3 or 4 times a year, heck, I was even a guest once back several years ago. When the big sports stories break, he is who I turned to for fast info...otherwise I had to filter out all of the regular callers, almost to the point where is was unbearable to listen.
    22 30
    "If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't ask you to try."
    Coach Paul Bryant, telling his players of the switch to the wishbone, Fall camp 1971.

2. Advertisement

Re: Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

I had Sirius when I traveled for work, thinking about signing back up. I liked King's show as well, never really caught on to him being a UT fan, but maybe that's because of Derrick Dooley there wasn't much to crow about. I would listen to Paul in the afternoons when out of town just to get some local news. Arute's show was pretty good as well, I listened when he was paired with Mike Leach.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Opinion about Finebaum is all over the board. I will say however, I think he deep down loves the SEC and he can talk about it but he's not going to put up with it from folks outside of this region. What he has done for the kid from Iowa which has CP has been tremendous. Finebaum took the time and went to vistit him and his parents were so thankful of Paul letting their son talk on his show on a daily basis. During the aftermath of the tornados of 2011, his show was pretty much dedicated to getting info out to victims as well as those who were looking for a way to help. If you'll remember, he had not been on Sirius for very long but he forged ahead trying to help the best he could. He was also instrumental along with Randy Owens in helping organize the Alabama Rises concert to raise money.

As for some of the callers you take the good with the bad. That being said I knda like when Legend calls after a win or better yet a barn loss. CLASSIC!
    Last edited by bamamc1; January 23rd, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

BamaNation All-American Catfish's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    As for some of the callers you take the good with the bad. That being said I knda like when Legend calls after a win or better yet a barn loss. CLASSIC!
    Legend is no better or more rational than Tammy. He's just right more often in his predictions because we've been winning. Swap the recent histories and the current directions of the programs and he'd seem just as delusional. And, he's just as classless. JMHO.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

Suspended
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

As a previous poster responded, The Paul Finebaum Show is like a train wreck.
    You have to look...In this case listen.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Opinion about Finebaum is all over the board. I will say however, I think he deep down loves the SEC and he can talk about it but he's not going to put up with it from folks outside of this region. What he has done for the kid from Iowa which has CP has been tremendous. Finebaum took the time and went to vistit him and his parents were so thankful of Paul letting their son talk on his show on a daily basis. During the aftermath of the tornados of 2011, his show was pretty much dedicated to getting info out to victims as well as those who were looking for a way to help. If you'll remember, he had not been on Sirius for very long but he forged ahead trying to help the best he could. He was also instrumental along with Randy Owens in helping organize the Alabama Rises concert to raise money.

Nice points about his show. I was in Salt Lake City when the tornadoes hit T-Town and the rest of the state that day in April. I tuned into the Weather Channel in the doctors lounge but not a lot of info at that early stage of the out break.

I have a app for Jox on my blackberry and tuned into the show. I will say this I did at least know what was going on 2000 miles away and the show did a good job. People he is an entertainer. He almost refuses to talk about the articles he wrote about Coach Bryant when he became a reporter for the Bham Post Hearld. So I for one now see him for what he is. I wouldnt care to buy him a beer or play golf with him but he does have an interesting show. If you dont like the show then dont listen. But I agree with what Bamamc1 says. I still cant stand what he wrote about Coach Bryant and that will be what i remember about finebaum.

What did he write about Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    They may also be getting a raise for being in a "primetime" slot.
    Roundtable wit and knowledge way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Finebaum Moron-Babysitting Variety Show.

This makes for a better hour-long ride home of the days I choose to listen, but it sends lunch-hour radio options down the tube for now. Hope they come up with something good as a replacement. Is the OD definitely staying 6-10?

What is airing now from 10-2?

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    What is airing now from 10-2?
    Temporary stuff for now. They did have Chris Stewart and Jacob Allison filling time from 11-2, and it was actually worth listening to.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

I think andrew bone from rivals will be in the 10 to 2 slot today talking about recruiting.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Legend is no better or more rational than Tammy. He's just right more often in his predictions because we've been winning. Swap the recent histories and the current directions of the programs and he'd seem just as delusional. And, he's just as classless. JMHO.
    Well, he didn't say that Legend wasn't delusional, just that he is fun to listen to and I agree. I've never understood the hate for the Finebaum show, I enjoy it for what it is, dumb fun entertainment. There is plenty of other serious sports talk radio, the Finebaum Show is a nice change of pace for the ride home (well, was), makes me laugh after a hard day's work. It's also a great reminder that all fan-bases have there share of dumb idiot redneck nut jobs.

I enjoy the show living up in Ohio. I like hearing about Alabama football and SEC. I like the interviews and guests. The month after the tornado gave me insight found nowhere else. Yes there are some crazies on there and it can be like Jerry Springer....but what he does with guests like Robert from Waterloo and others shows me something about his character. Now if he could just get I-man to quit using the term "window-lickers"....that and "riding the short bus" drives me crazy. It's so offensive to anyone with special needs children.

I'll miss the show for 3 months.