Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The morning until 2pm is the worst offenders on the the low-sports-content front. You are right that the Round Table is better but its worse to me because they have that sorry singer/musician type who just seems like he's around to make Gay Waltrip jokes and sing crappy 90s alt rock music.
That's "Rock Star". I'm a fan of the Round Table in general, but agree he's the worst part of it. No matter what non-sports subject they talk about, he's too cool for it. Any TV show? Any singer or band? Any movie? They're all derivative and/or from a dead genre and/or have a transparent plot and/or lame and/or produced by sell-outs and he can't believe that the ignorant masses watch or listen to it. He's a hipster dufus. :p_eyes:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
If you have I Heart Radio on you iPhone or iPad, try 620 WDAE in Tampa. Mornings has Ian Beckles a great former Buc lineman & Ron they have Awsome exchanges

But the Best is The Big Dog Steve Dueming. I wish he did more college but they guy is great. He is the one who broke the story about Levitts hitting the kid in the locker room (we almost got this coach before CNS)

I hated listening to the callers on FB they made southern folks look stupid, but he had Great guest & is a very good interviewer.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Any halfway decent football fan—and certainly any journalist—could tell that Paul had very little real game knowledge, didn't really follow players, and in fact was not even that in tune with the college football universe beyond the scandalous, which was where he excelled (and that is not praise). He had great guests on his Birmingham show, but THEY brought the knowledge, and at times Paul struggled to interview them... his questions were surface-level at best and not terribly insightful. And he didn't seem to care, either.

The guests always made up for it. For example, he'd ask Gary Danielson "What do you think about XX game?" and Gary would bring it for five minutes on that one question.

Paul was a decent editorialist and knew how to tap into and stir public opinion. He was a good writer, but a very awkward wordsmith on the radio. He frequently struggled for words, and used the wrong words when he meant something else. That will not play well on TV.

ESPN got a very raw deal, and Birmingham radio is better off. The Roundtable runs circles around Paul for football and general sports knowledge. The only thing I dislike is having to wait until 2:00 now for the best show in the market (and indeed in pretty much ANY market in the SE; I travel a lot and have found it's hard to beat The Roundtable).

Good riddance, and sorry, SEC Network. You're not getting what you think you're paying for.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Any halfway decent football fan—and certainly any journalist—could tell that Paul had very little real game knowledge, didn't really follow players, and in fact was not even that in tune with the college football universe beyond the scandalous, which was where he excelled (and that is not praise). He had great guests on his Birmingham show, but THEY brought the knowledge, and at times Paul struggled to interview them... his questions were surface-level at best and not terribly insightful. And he didn't seem to care, either.

The guests always made up for it. For example, he'd ask Gary Danielson "What do you think about XX game?" and Gary would bring it for five minutes on that one question.

Paul was a decent editorialist and knew how to tap into and stir public opinion. He was a good writer, but a very awkward wordsmith on the radio. He frequently struggled for words, and used the wrong words when he meant something else. That will not play well on TV.

ESPN got a very raw deal, and Birmingham radio is better off. The Roundtable runs circles around Paul for football and general sports knowledge. The only thing I dislike is having to wait until 2:00 now for the best show in the market (and indeed in pretty much ANY market in the SE; I travel a lot and have found it's hard to beat The Roundtable).

Good riddance, and sorry, SEC Network. You're not getting what you think you're paying for.
Paul Finebaum is more of a macroview guy. He does have a good feel for things. He was always lukewarm on Shula and Chizik. He was right in both cases. People don't like it because he tells the hard truth (most of the time). He can get caught up in the scandalous a bit but for the most part I just think he cuts the truth too hard for partisans. No one wants to hear that Shula is lost or a hack when he's the guy leading their beloved program. Notice how cries of being "pro-bama" are common now that we have a high-quality coach when Alabama fans were calling him "anti-bama" from around 2002 through 2006.

At least his success avails him to quality guests. I hope that joining ESPN won't kill his segments with CBS affiliated guest.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He also has what is a called "a great face for radio". Will people want to look at him every day?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I don't think anything on WJOX is worth a darn anymore. Opening Drive is bad. The Round Table is annoying. The new stuff is setting new lows.

I feel like each of their shows somehow talk about sports less than Finebaum when I know Finebaum's shows frequently veered off course a good bit.

Curious about what you find annoying? They're pretty knowledgable and treat their callers with respect which is pretty rare in sports talk radio.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Curious about what you find annoying? They're pretty knowledgable and treat their callers with respect which is pretty rare in sports talk radio.

I find it annoying that they are never, ever critical of anyone. They pump sunshine for people like Dan Mullen and Huge Freeze. Cam Newton could have been caught reenacting the Demi Moore money scene from Indecent Proposal with Bobby Lowder and they would have ignored but they gave Clay Travis air time to push the T-Town Menswear story.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Notice how cries of being "pro-bama" are common now that we have a high-quality coach when Alabama fans were calling him "anti-bama" from around 2002 through 2006.

At least his success avails him to quality guests. I hope that joining ESPN won't kill his segments with CBS affiliated guest.
I hear F-bomb get labeled as Pro-Bama all the time but I think that comes from the XM Radio folks that have only heard him give Bama props since Saban came on board. They never heard the bashing he gave us during the Shula era. If anything, Paul has a love affair with Coach Saban, not Alabama.

As for guests, I really like when he gets the main CBS gurus Brando and Barnhart on. I can only tolerate Brando for about an hour a week and him getting grilled on F-bomb is always entertainment.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Basically what CrimsonProf said...also all their non-sports segments are dumb to me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I had never heard of this guy until Alabama made its recent run of national championships. Another man who has leveraged Alabama's success and made the most of the resultant opportunities.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I had never heard of this guy until Alabama made its recent run of national championships. Another man who has leveraged Alabama's success and made the most of the resultant opportunities.

He was always huge in the state of Alabama. Even though based in Birmingham, I remember living in North Alabama (a separate media market) as a kid and my Dad would go out of his way to pick up a paper with Finebaum's columns. Strangers would talk about it together at coffee shops. He's been serious business for almost thirty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.