Finebaum finally leaves WJOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I'd started to listen to 97.3 a bit more anyway--Scarbinsky isn't nearly the twit he seems to be in print. While Finebaum does great interviews, his regular callers set my teeth on edge.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
So glad to hear this! I can't take his regular callers and the lack of real football discussion. And even though he gets the biggest personalities for interviews, the interviews themselves are really pathetic. He doesn't ask the questions you want answered, in my opinion.

Any ideas on who might fill the mid-day slot?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The Rondtable is moving from 10-2 to 2-6.

His satellite show will also be gone as it was just a mirror of the WJOX show. He has a no-compete for the next 3 months.
So will satelite pick it back up in 3 months? It seems to make no sense for them not to have him back on satelite and have a national audience.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I know... I work out of my house, and the roundtable is what I listen to from 10-2. It's going to be hard to make a change.
I wonder what the guys think about changing their schedule. I bet they liked getting off the air in the early afternoon.

So what is taking their spot from 10-2?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
No idea on the 10-2. I'm also guessing the Roundtable crew knew this was always the plan since Finebaum's exit has been in the works for months.
I really like some of the young guys that work on Sat. mornings during the season on the JOX Gameday. Maybe something will come of that.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I really like some of the young guys that work on Sat. mornings during the season on the JOX Gameday. Maybe something will come of that.
I know that article/blurb mentioned that WJOX Program Manager, Ryan Haney, is leaving WJOX to go to 97.3. I want to say Haney was one of the guys who did the Saturday morning show...along with Pat Smith.

I assume 97.3 will transition Coach Max Howell out once Finebaum makes the move. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out by the end of the summer when Sports Talk Radio really begins to ramp up in the Southeast.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
They may also be getting a raise for being in a "primetime" slot.
D&B used to be on the "drive home" slot back when they were on the AM JOX station. I have a feeling they will do a great job in that same time slot now. The problem is that we are in the off-season for the majority of listeners in the Birmingham market...so getting good sports talk from now to August is going to be very difficult once we get past NSD.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
What does 'no compete' mean? Finebaum can't be on the radio for 3 months?
Pretty much. Most of the time the non-compete clause is only for that market. So, if he wanted to start a show for the ATL market, he probably could. It depends on how the clause is written. There's speculation that he could start a new show that would be satellite-based (SiriusXM) during the Birmingham blackout period and then just start broadcasting locally once the non-compete perod is over. Clay Travis says that PF will just take a 3-month vaction, though.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I know that article/blurb mentioned that WJOX Program Manager, Ryan Haney, is leaving WJOX to go to 97.3. I want to say Haney was one of the guys who did the Saturday morning show...along with Pat Smith.

I assume 97.3 will transition Coach Max Howell out once Finebaum makes the move. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out by the end of the summer when Sports Talk Radio really begins to ramp up in the Southeast.
I'm not that crazy about Howell, but I'd rather they move him to the midday slot and get rid of that horrific Sports Czars show.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
If the Boog, Haney is going to 97.3 then that station is doomed. Believe it or not, he will do more damage than what Finebaum could. And I am someone who has not listened to Finebaum in a LONG time, I can't wait till we get another OD show on a different station. That was my end of the straw moment with sports radio. I have given up on sports talk altogether. Tide Fans (and a few other sites) is more informative and entertaining to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.