Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What delights me is that, in Alabama, it's long settled, by statute and court interpretations that non-competition clauses are void as against professionals. Ergo, Finebaum is, by definition, not "professional." :D

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
What delights me is that, in Alabama, it's long settled, by statute and court interpretations that non-competition clauses are void as against professionals. Ergo, Finebaum is, by definition, not "professional." :D
Somebody this morning made that point about non-compete clauses (I know they're basically worthless in my field). Another person said that they were enforceable against people in the media. Are media-related contracts different under Alabama law?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Somebody this morning made that point about non-compete clauses (I know they're basically worthless in my field). Another person said that they were enforceable against people in the media. Are media-related contracts different under Alabama law?
It all revolves around the meaning of the word "professional" in the statute and there are a number of cases on that. My own experience is really more in dealing with it as its not applying to medical personnel. I had one medical client sign a contract lately with a NC clause, but we warned them that she did not think it binding nor felt bound by it. I don't really know about media. If PF's legal team were leery enough to pull him off the air for three months, then I'd assume they think he's not a "professional," within the statue. That would make sense, because the courts have usually taken sort of a traditional, conservative approach to the definition...

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't look for PF to "find a home" at any other Bham based station. IMO I think he's plateaued in this area career-wise and is probably getting tired of pitting the UA/*U fans against each other. Also, he seems to have been star-struck on his last visit to NYC and is probably chomping at the bit to get back up there.
I look for him to take his show to a larger market, or at least to an area that will support his burgeoning ego. Problem is, he won't find a market that is as big on football as are the folks in Alabama.
But who knows? Maybe he'll grow to love basketball and soccer. :rolleyes:

I don't look for PF to "find a home" at any other Bham based station. IMO I think he's plateaued in this area career-wise and is probably getting tired of pitting the UA/*U fans against each other. Also, he seems to have been star-struck on his last visit to NYC and is probably chomping at the bit to get back up there.
I look for him to take his show to a larger market, or at least to an area that will support his burgeoning ego. Problem is, he won't find a market that is as big on football as are the folks in Alabama.
You are pretty much mistaken across the board. Finebaum knows an easy gig when he sees one, and pitting Alabama/Auburn fans against each other is like shooting fish in a barrel. Even the national appeal of the show is based on the localized aspect.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Employees of 97.3 do not know for certain if he'll end up there. I do know some employees are hoping their show doesn't get the boot because of his show moving.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
What does 'no compete' mean? Finebaum can't be on the radio for 3 months?
Just in the B'ham market.

D&B used to be on the "drive home" slot back when they were on the AM JOX station. I have a feeling they will do a great job in that same time slot now. The problem is that we are in the off-season for the majority of listeners in the Birmingham market...so getting good sports talk from now to August is going to be very difficult once we get past NSD.
Yes they did very well in that slot when Jox was AM, no reason to assume they wont do the same now.

He isn't going anywhere, look for him to stay in the state.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
So I'll be able to listen when I flip on the Montgomery station.
Only if he moved to Montgomery. He could choose ESPN radio and be played in B'ham, he just can't go to a "local" station like 97.3 and broadcast his show. I doubt he'll be on anywhere the next 3 months if what I heard is true.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
I'm not that crazy about Howell, but I'd rather they move him to the midday slot and get rid of that horrific Sports Czars show.
I only rarely catch the Sports Czars, but I would take them over Howell any day.

They're just a bunch of rednecks talking sports just like every other redneck does and they don't really claim to be anything else.

Howell claims to be something of an expert, and yet he is horribly bad. I've tried to listen when there's a big game coming up, or some sports story is breaking, but I can't do it. He won't go an entire show without making glaring factual errors, often worse than his callers. A week or so ago, he said it was completely against NCAA rules for scholarship athletes to have part time jobs. A caller questioned him and he repeated his assertion. He was so sure, I had to google it when I got home to make sure I hadn't missed some recent rules change.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
You are pretty much mistaken across the board. Finebaum knows an easy gig when he sees one, and pitting Alabama/Auburn fans against each other is like shooting fish in a barrel. Even the national appeal of the show is based on the localized aspect.
^^^This...FB is much more popular than one realizes. I listen to him when there is news to be had (turn off the freakshow junkie callers). His cash cow is right here in Alabama. He's not going anywhere.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I enjoy his interviews but I can't listen regularly because of the idiot callers. Someone calls in and rambles for about five minutes and then someone else calls in and talks smack to whoever just called. Just not interesting to me.

Back in the early 1990s, Paul had a nighttime show on a Birmingham station. Then he suddenly quit and it was announced he'd be joining another station and paired with Matt Coulter, who had a show there. Coulter promptly quit and moved to Paul's old station. Maybe he'll move back to Jox. Or call Herb Winches from retirement.

I can only listen in the afternoons so I'm stuck with the Czars. They aren't bad, but I'd rather hear the roundtable.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Thank god. I could never stand him and I hope his new show doesn't get picked up by xm radio. I really enjoyed the beer bath he got by the UGA fans after the 08 blackout in Athens, that was awesome.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
His website redirects to the generic Cumulus Media home page.

If he were still on the air somewhere...you would think his website would still be up and running.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I like Finebaum ok but it still amazes me that he made satellite radio. I wouldn't tune in to listen to Tammy give a rant if you paid me.
It's almost like the redneck football network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.