AJ Wins 2012 College Football Performance Awards QB Trophy

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron earned the 2012 CFPA Quarterback Trophy, announced today by College Football Performance Awards.

McCarron, who led Alabama to back-to-back National Championships, set the school record for passing touchdowns in a season (30) and in a career (49). As Alabama's starting quarterback over the past two seasons, McCarron has compiled a 25-2 record with 46 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. During the 2011 and 2012 seasons, he completed the SEC's second-longest streak of 291 pass attempts without an interception.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
About time he started getting properly recognized. He has been nothing short of amazing in his two years, especially in the way he has grown and matured into not only his role as a QB, but also as a leader.

This is some crow that I don't mind eating, I was not real big on AJ from the beginning, I picked Phillip Sims to be the next great QB for us. I thought AJ had a little too much gunslinger in him and thought he might be turnover prone as a result. Boy, was I wrong, he's turned into just the opposite and best of all, he rises to the moment.

I think it can safely be said that Coach Saban wouldn't trade him for any other QB, even Johnny Football. I wouldn't either.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is some crow that I don't mind eating, I was not real big on AJ from the beginning, I picked Phillip Sims to be the next great QB for us. I thought AJ had a little too much gunslinger in him and thought he might be turnover prone as a result.
That was my exact sentiment. In our defense, perhaps we really weren't wrong. May be that was the AJ that came to play for Alabama, it's just not the one that good coaching helped him become.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Congrats, AJ! Thrilled to see him get this recognition.

As an aside, I re-watched the entire BCSCG last night. After the trophy ceremony, CNS and AJ are separated but both headed to the locker room. AJ calls out to Coach, and says something in his ear. Fortunately, the ESPN microphone was close enough to catch what he said, which was, "I love you coach. I appreciate everything you do for us." I didn't catch that first time around, and thought it was cool enough to share.

Can't wait to see him in action next year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
About time he started getting properly recognized. He has been nothing short of amazing in his two years, especially in the way he has grown and matured into not only his role as a QB, but also as a leader.

This is some crow that I don't mind eating, I was not real big on AJ from the beginning, I picked Phillip Sims to be the next great QB for us. I thought AJ had a little too much gunslinger in him and thought he might be turnover prone as a result. Boy, was I wrong, he's turned into just the opposite and best of all, he rises to the moment.

I think it can safely be said that Coach Saban wouldn't trade him for any other QB, even Johnny Football. I wouldn't either.
When AJ and Sims came to Alabama I thought they were essentially even. (I was wrong)
I told Fred Sington and he laughed, and told me when the dust settled that AJ would be
the next great one...
Fred's seen enough and talked to enough people to spot the potential for greatness.
I'm glad to say that Fred's right.
We had two good competitors and the better became our starter.
I hate that Sims moved on, but he wanted more than mop up duty at Alabama.
AJ McCarron is a proto typical Pro QB, gaining one more years experience before he moves
on to the pros.
AJ is a QB built by Coach Saban, to run Coach Saban's Alabama Offense.
It helps we've had a couple of great guys as QB coach to mold AJ into a man
who can run our Offense, or in a pinch take it on his shoulders to try to win.
The awards are nice, but the two BCS Championship rings AJ has are fantastic.
AJ want's to come back for another...
Face it... AJ McCarron is now mentioned with the all time greats at the Capstone.
He deserves to be...
:BigA:

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Hear, hear!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Awesome. AJ is so deserving as his numbers indicate.

He's just an extremely classy young man and a good example. "Yes ma'am." I heard the "I love you, Coach" but missed what came after that. Thanks for sharing.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Roll, National Champion, Roll!
Great for AJ.
I am hoping for him, a third straight National Championship, but no matter what, I knowhe will give his utmost best, and his heart to achieve it.
He's definitely made all of us proud.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.