CTE found in living football players.

chattabama12

Scout Team
Oct 22, 2008
Someone is going to design a new and smarter helmet and then swim in their own personal cash vault Scrooge McDuck style.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Prize fighting used to be banned. I remember UFC starting out in some unusual locations due to laws. The fact is I don't care if consenting adults want to hit themselves in the head, that's their right. The only moral quandary I can come up with is the situation as it relates to minors.

Anyway, my brother has done manual labor all his life. He sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies when he's walking around grimacing and I wonder if a wheelchair is in his future. The fact is that physical tasks take a physical toll.

However, we're worrying way too much about this. A lot of information coming out is regarding NFL players, and NFL players with lengthy careers, which is far from the norm. Those are basically guys that get to make millions doing their job instead of working on a coal mine or something. Adjustments can be made, but when you get right down to it, it's just another dangerous job. It happens to be a fabulously well compensated dangerous job at that. We also are not doing a fair contrast in regards to football and other sports.

Doctors have also concluded that sitting is more dangerous that smoking. So, we're sitting here discussing how dangerous football is, when in fact it might be safer for us to get up and play some football. While I say that in jest, the truth is that the impact football has on most people's life will be a positive one.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I would be curious to see how the results compare to rugby. Collisions in American football are so much more violent in my opinion because:

1. We have padding and helmets;
2. The players are much larger due to the short (stop/go) nature of plays. Thus, players gain incredible mass, that would be lost from a sport requiring more cardio. Basically, what I mean is that rugby players are still big, but not like American football players because they have to run the entire match which requires more oxygen. Muscles require more oxygen when under stress, so players wouldn't last as long.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Football isn't going anywhere unless Americans begin to like it less. There will always be people drawn to a sport as loved as football - people willing to take incredible risks to pursue a passion. Add the incentive of a free college education (even if you might not be a Div I caliber player) and, for the very best, there is a chance to attain more wealth than most can hope to achieve by standard means.

Will parents stop their children from playing football? Some might, but most will not. Heck, most parents couldn't even tell you the names of their children's teachers or what they made on their last report card. And too many live vicariously through their children when they show athletic promise.

The reality - for most, the risk isn't going to change a thing. The only thing that will kill this sport is legislation - and it makes too much money for too many people for me to see that as a likelihood.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
A professor at Virginia Tech has installed accelerometers in helmets for some years now. Telemetry is received live on the sideline, and they yank you out of the game if you take a knock above a certain threshold. It is a good idea and is bound to be mandated. The technology is now quite cheap, and they maintain a database of every collision you suffer in your entire playing career.

There is going to be shake-out while rule-making catches up with the technology. For instance, the helmet-to-helmet rule has been heavily criticized, but helmet-to-helmet plus accelerometer numbers from the telemetry might make a much better rule.

I am a bit of a "Rush-baby", and do worry that he is right that all the fun stuff including football will be taken away. But the real danger is whether technology can stay ahead of the lawyers.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, those that want this game to go away need to consider this. As football goes away, so do the Katherine Webbs of the world.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Perhaps the government should step in and regulate football players. For example, a linebacker couldn't be more than 6' tall, weight more than 190 lbs and incapable of running the 40 in under 5.5 seconds. And there's no reason in the world an offensive tackle should weigh more than 225 pounds.....:rolleye2:
And no polymer in their uniforms..... strictly wood stock...uh uniforms.... :)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Well, those that want this game to go away need to consider this. As football goes away, so do the Katherine Webbs of the world.

More to a realistic point - as football goes away so does virtually every other college sport; a plethora of academic programs such as band; and millions and millions of dollars that go to support things like Science Labs, Computer Labs, Heath and Therapeutic Facilities, Campus Renovations (for purely academic and not just athletic buildings), and Academic Scholarships, just to name a few.

Take away college football and you'll be taking away literally billions of dollars from America's Universities that they will not get from somewhere else. Take away college football and you'll be taking away hundreds of academic programs at thousands of Universities. How many Universities will continue to run Sports Science and Physical Therapy academic programs and facilities without football providing both the direct need and the funding to run them? Very few. Take away college football and not only will you be taking away millions of dollars that the football programs / athletic departments contribute directly to the academic side of things at most Universities but also the millions and millions of dollars that are contributed each year by fans and boosters directly to the academic side of things as a direct result of their interest in the football program. When fans/boosters give $10k, $50k, and $100k contributions to the University in order to get better standing in Tide Pride - so that they can get tickets or get better tickets for the regular season and/or post-season games - much of that money goes straight into academic funds and much of that straight into academic scholarships. Take away college football and you'll be taking away scholarships from tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of students across the country each year who will never officially play any sport, much less football, at their University.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
If you dont think the future of football is in jeopardy you are very wrong. Youth football leagues and high school programs are already feeling the pinch by the higher cost of obtaining liability insurance from insurance companies. Its becoming more and more expensive to insure the civic and school programs. Insurance companies are going to dictate the future of tackle football in this country. And if the NFL players win this lawsuit.......

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I would be curious to see how the results compare to rugby. Collisions in American football are so much more violent in my opinion because:

1. We have padding and helmets;
2. The players are much larger due to the short (stop/go) nature of plays. Thus, players gain incredible mass, that would be lost from a sport requiring more cardio. Basically, what I mean is that rugby players are still big, but not like American football players because they have to run the entire match which requires more oxygen. Muscles require more oxygen when under stress, so players wouldn't last as long.
Frank "Big Hurt" Thomas...whatsup dawg!!?? I thought you were a barn fan? You switching to the good side?

Oh btw, thanks for autographin' that picture I sent you about 15 years ago, I still have it!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you dont think the future of football is in jeopardy you are very wrong. Youth football leagues and high school programs are already feeling the pinch by the higher cost of obtaining liability insurance from insurance companies. Its becoming more and more expensive to insure the civic and school programs. Insurance companies are going to dictate the future of tackle football in this country. And if the NFL players win this lawsuit.......
Those costs are outweighed by the income brought into schools by football. It might cut into profits, but it will remain profitable, IMO.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Man, the sky is falling, huh?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't have any numbers to prove this but I believe the decline of american football has already begun and will continue although it will never go away completely. I believe it will evolve and become more of a fast-paced, high scoring, low contact game. Some variation of 7-on-7 may become the norm in 30-40 years especially in high school. I base this on what appears to be a decline in the interest at a young age which is probably a combination of expense and injuries. More and more children are playing soccer so I think you will see that continue to increase in popularity at the expense of football. IMHO this is the main reason why southern schools are dominating college football as interest seems to have faded in other places at a faster rate than in the south but I expect that to happen here as well over time. If my theory is true then football will have to evolve to survive.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.