Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: CTE found in living football players.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    And I'm sure you gather with family and friends to watch cliff diving each weekend. What's on the menu this week?
    Snarky Professor with Buffalo Sauce, yummmm
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

2. Advertisement

Football isn't going anywhere unless Americans begin to like it less. There will always be people drawn to a sport as loved as football - people willing to take incredible risks to pursue a passion. Add the incentive of a free college education (even if you might not be a Div I caliber player) and, for the very best, there is a chance to attain more wealth than most can hope to achieve by standard means.

Will parents stop their children from playing football? Some might, but most will not. Heck, most parents couldn't even tell you the names of their children's teachers or what they made on their last report card. And too many live vicariously through their children when they show athletic promise.

The reality - for most, the risk isn't going to change a thing. The only thing that will kill this sport is legislation - and it makes too much money for too many people for me to see that as a likelihood.

BamaNation First Team

A professor at Virginia Tech has installed accelerometers in helmets for some years now. Telemetry is received live on the sideline, and they yank you out of the game if you take a knock above a certain threshold. It is a good idea and is bound to be mandated. The technology is now quite cheap, and they maintain a database of every collision you suffer in your entire playing career.

There is going to be shake-out while rule-making catches up with the technology. For instance, the helmet-to-helmet rule has been heavily criticized, but helmet-to-helmet plus accelerometer numbers from the telemetry might make a much better rule.

I am a bit of a "Rush-baby", and do worry that he is right that all the fun stuff including football will be taken away. But the real danger is whether technology can stay ahead of the lawyers.

Well, those that want this game to go away need to consider this. As football goes away, so do the Katherine Webbs of the world.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Enjoy the game while we can, folks. It won't last that much longer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...l-ends/267412/
    Well, if you believe that, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTRIBE View Post
    Perhaps the government should step in and regulate football players. For example, a linebacker couldn't be more than 6' tall, weight more than 190 lbs and incapable of running the 40 in under 5.5 seconds. And there's no reason in the world an offensive tackle should weigh more than 225 pounds.....
    And no polymer in their uniforms..... strictly wood stock...uh uniforms....

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    Well, those that want this game to go away need to consider this. As football goes away, so do the Katherine Webbs of the world.

More to a realistic point - as football goes away so does virtually every other college sport; a plethora of academic programs such as band; and millions and millions of dollars that go to support things like Science Labs, Computer Labs, Heath and Therapeutic Facilities, Campus Renovations (for purely academic and not just athletic buildings), and Academic Scholarships, just to name a few.

Take away college football and you'll be taking away literally billions of dollars from America's Universities that they will not get from somewhere else. Take away college football and you'll be taking away hundreds of academic programs at thousands of Universities. How many Universities will continue to run Sports Science and Physical Therapy academic programs and facilities without football providing both the direct need and the funding to run them? Very few. Take away college football and not only will you be taking away millions of dollars that the football programs / athletic departments contribute directly to the academic side of things at most Universities but also the millions and millions of dollars that are contributed each year by fans and boosters directly to the academic side of things as a direct result of their interest in the football program. When fans/boosters give $10k, $50k, and $100k contributions to the University in order to get better standing in Tide Pride - so that they can get tickets or get better tickets for the regular season and/or post-season games - much of that money goes straight into academic funds and much of that straight into academic scholarships. Take away college football and you'll be taking away scholarships from tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of students across the country each year who will never officially play any sport, much less football, at their University.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

If you dont think the future of football is in jeopardy you are very wrong. Youth football leagues and high school programs are already feeling the pinch by the higher cost of obtaining liability insurance from insurance companies. Its becoming more and more expensive to insure the civic and school programs. Insurance companies are going to dictate the future of tackle football in this country. And if the NFL players win this lawsuit.......

Enjoy the game while we can, folks. It won't last that much longer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...l-ends/267412/
    If I remember correctly, aren't you a proponent of stricter safety rules in football, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by FThomas View Post
    I would be curious to see how the results compare to rugby. Collisions in American football are so much more violent in my opinion because:

1. We have padding and helmets;
    2. The players are much larger due to the short (stop/go) nature of plays. Thus, players gain incredible mass, that would be lost from a sport requiring more cardio. Basically, what I mean is that rugby players are still big, but not like American football players because they have to run the entire match which requires more oxygen. Muscles require more oxygen when under stress, so players wouldn't last as long.
    Frank "Big Hurt" Thomas...whatsup dawg!!?? I thought you were a barn fan? You switching to the good side?

Oh btw, thanks for autographin' that picture I sent you about 15 years ago, I still have it!

Quote Originally Posted by TideHiFlyer View Post
    If you dont think the future of football is in jeopardy you are very wrong. Youth football leagues and high school programs are already feeling the pinch by the higher cost of obtaining liability insurance from insurance companies. Its becoming more and more expensive to insure the civic and school programs. Insurance companies are going to dictate the future of tackle football in this country. And if the NFL players win this lawsuit.......
    Those costs are outweighed by the income brought into schools by football. It might cut into profits, but it will remain profitable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TideHiFlyer View Post
    Man, the sky is falling, huh?

01/04/1926-08/11/2012

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    Cue the linebacker girlfriend jokes. 3..2..1..
    He didn't say they had to be real....