Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: CTE found in living football players.

I don't have any numbers to prove this but I believe the decline of american football has already begun and will continue although it will never go away completely. I believe it will evolve and become more of a fast-paced, high scoring, low contact game. Some variation of 7-on-7 may become the norm in 30-40 years especially in high school. I base this on what appears to be a decline in the interest at a young age which is probably a combination of expense and injuries. More and more children are playing soccer so I think you will see that continue to increase in popularity at the expense of football. IMHO this is the main reason why southern schools are dominating college football as interest seems to have faded in other places at a faster rate than in the south but I expect that to happen here as well over time. If my theory is true then football will have to evolve to survive.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Football isn't going anywhere for a long time, but I do expect a lot of rule changes in increments. I mean, there are rule changes when there is no fear. Add a little fear, and we'll certainly have some rule changes.

I have certainly seen a lot of families decide to not let their children play football. It was even a point of discussion on sports talk a few weeks ago. The host, who played CFB, said he will not let his children play football "knowing what we know now." But, there will always be enough people who will want to play. That's not the concern to me. The concern is the rule changes, IMO.

BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Enjoy the game while we can, folks. It won't last that much longer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...l-ends/267412/

Save all your DVR's, as one day we'll have to show our kids and grandkids what the game of football was via video because they won't know.
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

-Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    Football isn't going anywhere for a long time, but I do expect a lot of rule changes in increments. I mean, there are rule changes when there is no fear. Add a little fear, and we'll certainly have some rule changes.

I have certainly seen a lot of families decide to not let their children play football. It was even a point of discussion on sports talk a few weeks ago. The host, who played CFB, said he will not let his children play football "knowing what we know now." But, there will always be enough people who will want to play. That's not the concern to me. The concern is the rule changes, IMO.
    Yep, hopefully it's gonna be like smoking: We know it's bad, yet a LOT of us are still dumb enough to do it.
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    More to a realistic point - as football goes away so does virtually every other college sport; a plethora of academic programs such as band; and millions and millions of dollars that go to support things like Science Labs, Computer Labs, Heath and Therapeutic Facilities, Campus Renovations (for purely academic and not just athletic buildings), and Academic Scholarships, just to name a few.

Take away college football and you'll be taking away literally billions of dollars from America's Universities that they will not get from somewhere else. Take away college football and you'll be taking away hundreds of academic programs at thousands of Universities. How many Universities will continue to run Sports Science and Physical Therapy academic programs and facilities without football providing both the direct need and the funding to run them? Very few. Take away college football and not only will you be taking away millions of dollars that the football programs / athletic departments contribute directly to the academic side of things at most Universities but also the millions and millions of dollars that are contributed each year by fans and boosters directly to the academic side of things as a direct result of their interest in the football program. When fans/boosters give $10k, $50k, and $100k contributions to the University in order to get better standing in Tide Pride - so that they can get tickets or get better tickets for the regular season and/or post-season games - much of that money goes straight into academic funds and much of that straight into academic scholarships. Take away college football and you'll be taking away scholarships from tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of students across the country each year who will never officially play any sport, much less football, at their University.
    Actually, I was just being facetious. But thanks for the reality check.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation First Team Alajambama's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

More propaganda for the soccer nazis to take over the world.
    The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee...I-65 heading south.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TideHiFlyer View Post
    If you dont think the future of football is in jeopardy you are very wrong. Youth football leagues and high school programs are already feeling the pinch by the higher cost of obtaining liability insurance from insurance companies. Its becoming more and more expensive to insure the civic and school programs. Insurance companies are going to dictate the future of tackle football in this country. And if the NFL players win this lawsuit.......
    You are, unfortunately, dead on here. Lawyers will win suit after suit after suit as more evidence builds that show how dangerous the game is, and as a result premiums for Stadiums, leagues, schools, and parents (the parents and families of the kids who do the hitting will eventually become targets) will escalate to the point of being prohibitive for all but the very few. There will be more and more rules. The fun will leave the game. If the NFL players win all the lawsuits that are building, then the NFL could be done for as well...and any other league that may rise to take its place.

My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    Save all your DVR's, as one day we'll have to show our kids and grandkids what the game of football was via video because they won't know.
    I would seriously doubt that.

01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

What about baseball? I know that it's not AS dangerous, but is there not risk involved? The longer a player plays the game, the greater his chances of taking a line drive to the head. Same can be said for basketball. Chuck Davis at Alabama suffered a horrible injury on the basketball court a few years ago. Remember Hank Gathers from Loyola-Marymount about 23 years ago? What about Hockey? Tennis? Boxing? Horse racing? Should those go away too? After all, they do involve risk.

01/04/1926-08/11/2012

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    What about baseball? I know that it's not AS dangerous, but is there not risk involved? The longer a player plays the game, the greater his chances of taking a line drive to the head. Same can be said for basketball. Chuck Davis at Alabama suffered a horrible injury on the basketball court a few years ago. Remember Hank Gathers from Loyola-Marymount about 23 years ago? What about Hockey? Tennis? Boxing? Horse racing? Should those go away too? After all, they do involve risk.
    The death of Hank Gathers still influences sports at all levels and really brought to the forefront Brugada Syndrome and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in young athletes in all sports. In that case it isn't so much about the sport itself but in properly screening for heart problems and so is more of a medical issue than an issue about the sport of basketball. There is still ongoing debate in this area from a standpoint of best practices and liability, so the it still very influential.

Again, injuries will always be a part of the game and of life in general. What will happen is that as we learn more there will be more rule changes to offer protection to athletes in the prevention of head injuries. The game will not drastically change, but will become a little less violent.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Wasn't there an article or 60 minutes episode about how the antenna in cell phones caused brain tumors many years ago. As I recall, it was this research which led to the reason none of us have cell phones today.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    Yep, hopefully it's gonna be like smoking: We know it's bad, yet a LOT of us are still dumb enough to do it.
    That's when the do gooders will really step in. It will be made out to be a racist game since such a large number of black youth play it versus white youth. They will say that the black youth and poor youth are forced to risk their long term health for the entertainment of others, mostly whites, because they are desperate to change their life's circumstances.
    I know some of you will refuse to believe it is even possible, but how many people thought even 5 years ago the size if soft drink you drink or the amount of salt in your food would be regulated in some places?
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; January 23rd, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    Actually, I was just being facetious. But thanks for the reality check.
    Oh, I knew you were.

I was just shooting off from that on a [somewhat] related tangent.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell