Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CTE found in living football players.

Y'all quit it with the "what about Sport X."

No other sport has the rate of concussions as football. No other sport is currently so popular. No other sport has former and current players committing suicide. No other sport has at least half of its participants banging heads together on at least every play.

This issue is about football, and football alone.

I love this sport dearly, but clearly something is amiss.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Y'all quit it with the "what about Sport X."

No other sport has the rate of concussions as football. No other sport is currently so popular. No other sport has former and current players committing suicide. No other sport has at least half of its participants banging heads together on at least every play.

This issue is about football, and football alone.

I love this sport dearly, but clearly something is amiss.
    People commit suicide in every walk of life, and in every sport. This is far from comprehensive, but this page shows more suicides in baseball than football. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...mitted_suicide

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

While I agree that something has to be done to protect the brains of football players, the recent lawsuits, like that by Junior Seau's family, make me care less and less. These athletes and their families know the risks that they are taking. Did they know the EXACT risks or outcomes? No - but they knew that their long term quality of life would be destroyed, and their lifespans shortened significantly. This has been common knowledge for decades. It is like cigarette smokers suing tobacco companies for selling a product that they know is killing them.

Tell me - if Junior Seau (example - not him specifically) knew that there was a chance that he would die young, but that he would make tens of millions of dollars and be adored by millions of fans - would he have chosen a different life? I seriously doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

A: One of the main ways to lose a boxing match is a "knockout".
    B: That suicide claim is highly dubious.

I think there are some health issues, but this is turning into the media run amok. In terms of blaming the league for player suicides? These were grown men voluntarily participating in an activity. It's especially ridiculous when a defensive player commits suicide, and they try to blame the league. He was the one hitting people! It's the fault of the league that he hurt himself hitting people?

The only legal grounds I see for that sort of thing is if they find the league knew about things like CTE, and intentionally hid the danger from players. Then, I think they have some sort of a case. Otherwise? These people were acting of their own free will. I might as well sue Little Cesar's because I gained a few pounds.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    ue knew about things like CTE, and intentionally hid the danger from players. Then, I think they have some sort of a case. Otherwise? These people were acting of their own free will. I might as well sue Little Cesar's because I gained a few pounds.
    When you do, I want in on that lawsuit!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

And I'm sure you gather with family and friends to watch cliff diving each weekend. What's on the menu this week?
    How many people have been killed playing football?

Hundreds of thousands of people fill the grandstands at NASCAR, IRL, and the hundreds of short tracks across our country every weekend during the racing season. Millions more watch at home and the cars are decorated with the names of a great many Fortune 500 companies.

Just over a season ago, the defending Indy 500 winner died live on national TV. A decade ago, the most popular driver in the history of NASCAR died on live TV. At all levels, somewhere around a dozen drivers will die every single year and the people keep coming, the sponsors keep coming, and TV keeps paying more and more for the rights.

Like racing, football will evolve. Rules will be tweaked (I really wouldn't be shocked to see something like youth league style player weight range limits eventually implemented at most levels) and equipment will improve, but it isn't going away until people quit wanting to watch it.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nx4bama View Post
    When you do, I want in on that lawsuit!
    Huge class action!

Interesting to look at Rugby. Lots of collisions there also but you have to tackle in a different way since you don't have a lot of protection. Obvious difference in the speed of the games.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Well boxing should be eliminated then. "We" are all excited to see someone get knocked out in boxing. Or have you seen the commercials and potential side effects from the drugs taken? Yet people take those drugs knowing the risk. The game may change some but there will always be risk involved. I believe some agreements will be signed and disclosures made but the game will essentially move on.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    FootMouth on TideFans.com

Once football is nothing more than an historical footnote, I believe bass fishing will be the next sport to get 86'd.

BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    You could say the same for Horse Racing, Boxing, Professional Wrestling, Nascar, Cliff Diving, etc.
    But you can't say that about mud wrestling....definitely not about mud wrestling.
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Looks like President Obama won't let his kid play football..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    Save all your DVR's, as one day we'll have to show our kids and grandkids what the game of football was via video because they won't know.
    I'm quite certain people said that when they started using helmets in the '20's, using polymer helmets with face-masks in the '50's, etc.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by efd840 View Post
    Like racing, football will evolve. Rules will be tweaked (I really wouldn't be shocked to see something like youth league style player weight range limits eventually implemented at most levels) and equipment will improve, but it isn't going away until people quit wanting to watch it.
    This.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!