Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Toughest Schedules for 2013

Just read a nice article on ESPN discussing the toughest schedules in each Conference this year. I came away feeling bad for what pile of mess Butch Jones stepped in a Tennessee. In the first 8 games they play 5 teams who will, presumably, be per season top 10. The first four SEC games come against Florida, Georgia, USCe, and Alabama. Plus they have an ooc game against Oregon. Throw in playing a WKU team who returns good talent, and adds Bobby Patrino as HC and they could easily be 2-6 over their first 8 games...

Anyone seen a tougher schedule?

Thoughts?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Toughest Schedules for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    Just read a nice article on ESPN discussing the toughest schedules in each Conference this year. I came away feeling bad for what pile of mess Butch Jones stepped in a Tennessee. In the first 8 games they play 5 teams who will, presumably, be per season top 10. The first four SEC games come against Florida, Georgia, USCe, and Alabama. Plus they have an ooc game against Oregon. Throw in playing a WKU team who returns good talent, and adds Bobby Patrino as HC and they could easily be 2-6 over their first 8 games...

Thoughts?
    Hahah I don't feel sorry for them. They got themselves into this mess. You get what you get.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Count me in as not feeling sorry for them. I am in for them never being good again.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good! They had the most favorable schedule that Roy Kramer could give them for the first twenty years. 1992-2011.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that I'm definitely not complaining about our schedule this year! We've had some tough ones in the past - remember 2010, anyone? - but you couldn't plan a better schedule for a BCS CG run for us than the one we have this year.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they are about to experience a couple of "firsts". They are the only current 1A school that has never lost more than 7 games in a season. Also, they have never had four consecutive losing seasons. A 4-8 would take care of both of those.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Roy Kramer's influence is truly gone from the SEC office!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    All I know is that I'm definitely not complaining about our schedule this year! We've had some tough ones in the past - remember 2010, anyone? - but you couldn't plan a better schedule for a BCS CG run for us than the one we have this year.
    At A@M in game two is going to be extremely difficult but it beats playing them the week after LSU.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    At A@M in game two is going to be extremely difficult but it beats playing them the week after LSU.
    It's early in the season after they'll have only played two complete pansies - that won't test the new team chemistry, especially the O-Line - with us having two weeks to prepare. The only better scenario would be not having to play them, which isn't possible.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel sorry for them. They've had a frontloaded schedule for years. Did you happen to take a look at the last five weeks of their schedule?

at Missouri
    Auburn
    Off
    Vanderbilt
    at Kentucky

They also get to play Austin Peay, Western Kentucky, and South Alabama.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post

Thoughts?
    Link?

The Vols may be buried. Tennessee is not a fertile recruiting ground. They used to get a lot of guys from South Carolina and those guys are staying home now. Vandy may be on the way to being consistently competitive. UT has to play USCe, Georgia, Florida, and Bama every year. It's going to be hard for the Vols to dig their way out of this hole created by Fat Phil and Little Laney. It seems to me the AD's at UT aren't willing to pay enough money for a top tier coach. Tickets are easy to come by in Knoxville.

It's funny, I live in west Tennessee and see almost as much Bama gear as I do UT. The Vols are now a closet nation. Most Vols fans have never heard of Butch Jones.

This is the biggest mess the UT football program has seen in my lifetime. I'm torn because I've always hated the Vols but I went to graduate school at UT. Tennessee is a great place to live. In an ideal world, Vandy becomes the premier program in Tennessee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Link?

The Vols may be buried. Tennessee is not a fertile recruiting ground. They used to get a lot of guys from South Carolina and those guys are staying home now. Vandy may be on the way to being consistently competitive. UT has to play USCe, Georgia, Florida, and Bama every year. It's going to be hard for the Vols to dig their way out of this hole created by Fat Phil and Little Laney. It seems to me the AD's at UT aren't willing to pay enough money for a top tier coach. Tickets are easy to come by in Knoxville.

It's funny, I live in west Tennessee and see almost as much Bama gear as I do UT. The Vols are now a closet nation. Most Vols fans have never heard of Butch Jones.

This is the biggest mess the UT football program has seen in my lifetime. I'm torn because I've always hated the Vols but I went to graduate school at UT. Tennessee is a great place to live. In an ideal world, Vandy becomes the premier program in Tennessee.
    It's 160 miles further from Memphis to Knoxville than to Tuscaloosa and more than two hours more driving time. Memphis really the only area in TN which produces a large number of FBS prospects. These days, it's a bit of a surprise to see them retain somebody like Carr. In fact, it makes you a little suspicious that Adams is back out of retirement...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It's 160 miles further from Memphis to Knoxville than to Tuscaloosa and more than two hours more driving time. Memphis really the only area in TN which produces a large number of FBS prospects. These days, it's a bit of a surprise to see them retain somebody like Carr. In fact, it makes you a little suspicious that Adams is back out of retirement...
    A lot of Tennessee is closer to Tuscaloosa than Knoxville. I grew up in Fayetteville, TN. Most of white collar Fayetteville works in Huntsville. Still, Lincoln county bleeds orange as does most of Tennessee.

Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Alabama are all geographically closer to west Tennessee than Knoxville is. Jackson, TN has good high school football.

It's always been a mystery to me why the Vols didn't recruit middle Tennessee heavier than what they do. The people there bleed orange. Murfreesboro, Franklin (Brentwood Academy), and Gallatin routinely have great high school football, but UT a lot of these guys wind up somewhere other than UT.