Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

Interesting read here:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...cement+program

In light of this incident and other recent events involving the enforcement staff, President Emmert has commissioned an external review of the enforcement program. The review will include a thorough investigation into the current issue as well as the overall enforcement environment, to ensure operation of the program is consistent with the essential principles of integrity and accountability. The NCAA has retained Kenneth L. Wainstein, a partner with the law firm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP to conduct this investigation. Wainstein specializes in corporate internal investigations and civil and criminal enforcement proceedings. He was formerly Homeland Security Advisor to President George W. Bush and has served as the Assistant Attorney General for National Security as well as the FBI General Counsel.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

May be I'm reading too much into it, and I guess I should breath a sign of relief... but the NCAA under Emmert is sounding more and more like, let's try and find an excuse not to punish schools. That's all well and good, but he wasn't around when Alabama was getting hammered, of course he'd be around when some foul stuff is going on at other schools.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPride25's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miami may end up getting a lot better deal than was expected. Depending on what information the NCAA did not properly obtain.

NCAA is a joke.

BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPride25 View Post
    Miami may end up getting a lot better deal than was expected. Depending on what information the NCAA did not properly obtain.

NCAA is a joke.
    Yep. Finally, a school got smart, got good lawyers, and pushed back substantially instead of rolling over... I guess schools have done this in the past, but it was kept more "hush hush"...
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

-Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Blah on TideFans.com

Seems the article on ESPN said that Shapiro's lawyer was on the payroll of the NCAA and that they had obtained some information via that channel that helped them "prosecute Miami". At least that's how I read it. Said they weren't going to use the information garnered in that manner, which seems to make me think, Miami may skate now.

NCAA president Mark Emmert announced the findings Wednesday. The sports governing body said former enforcement staff members worked with the criminal defense attorney for former Miami booster and convicted Ponzi scheme architect Nevin Shapiro "to improperly obtain information ... through a bankruptcy proceeding that did not involve the NCAA."
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ami-hurricanes
    Last edited by AlistarWills; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I don't blame the NCAA for using Shapiro to help them find the bodies, so to speak, but if their entire case is dependant on the testimony of this kind of liar then they are beyond help.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope we are witnessing the beginning of the end of the NCAA....
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

But .... are secret witnesses still acceptable?

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

So if the NCAA is guilty, would it be given a postseason and TV ban and scholarship reductions?
    Lucky #13

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BocaLance View Post
    But .... are secret witnesses still acceptable?
    Only double top secret ones...

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonChuck View Post
    So if the NCAA is guilty, would it be given a postseason and TV ban and scholarship reductions?
    They will punish someone completely unrelated to the offense.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Couldnt happen to a more deserving bunch of folks...
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.
    I support PAWS.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPride25 View Post

NCAA is a joke.
    Auburn already got off once, so I guess this means they'll get off again huh? That's just how it feels, but it also feels like if Alabama gets in trouble again all this friendlier crap will go out the window.

NCAA to Auburn: We know you did it, but we can't prove you did it.
    NCAA to Miami: We can prove you did it, but we can't know you did it.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"