Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They will punish someone completely unrelated to the offense.
    Poor Cleveland State.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Re: NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    This 15 month old story about a proceding that was over two years old when it was written will give you some insight as to how all the twists and turns of this one came to this point. Sounds like a trial run to me----we want to make certain our information comes from public sources and not private depositions-----

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/1...ankruptcy.html

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I like David Ridpath's point via Twitter. "The Miami investigators didn't just learn this--this is par for the course."

In the Means case, they colluded with the US Attorney's office and compelled Lynn Lang to cooperate with the NCAA enforcement staff as part of his plea deal.

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/news/2002/1113/1460410.html

That's in addition to using secret witnesses (that we allowed them to).

And I'm telling y'all... if the Jackie Sherrill lawsuit ever gets to deposition and or trial testimony, this Shapiro and the old Means case are gonna look like good ol' fashioned detective work from Dragnet.

Edit to add:

"That is my big question -- why now as if it has not happened in the past?" wondered Dr. David Ridpath, Assistant Professor of Sports Administration at Ohio University, who is an expert on the NCAA process. "I have been accusing enforcement of not following their own rules for years [interviewing wrong people, threats, improper procedures, rogue investigators etc.], and they always rebuffed me saying the system was perfect. My only thought is someone was ready to blow the lid on this [Shapiro perhaps?] and Emmert had no choice. I cannot imagine him doing this unless he saw a storm coming.

"I think the [UCLA Shabazz] Muhammad case shows how these investigators can get drunk with power. In their defense, it is difficult to get information without subpoenas. But if they expect people to follow rules of conduct, they must do the same. However, they have gotten attorney information before. They certainly did in the Albert Means case."
    Via Bruce Feldman

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ing-is-curious
    Last edited by GulfCoastTider; January 23rd, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation First Team

I'm going to shift careers and become an AD. I'm going to find the team ranked in the bottom 60 that has a strong law school and half-decent alumni support. We're going to pay players in cash, gold bricks, jewelry, whatever. One wing of the athletic department will be to process payments and control any media or other leaks of recruiting activities. We'll have a plan in place to sue the NCAA as an institution as well as any individual who investigates. The suits will be filed in our local jurisdiction, of course, and potential for court bias will be one of my criteria for choosing my school.

The head coach will make $100k a year. His job will be to supervise an OC and DC who can gameplan, and ensure S&C occurs. Motivation will come not from the head coach but from player incentive pay. They'll get paid for their linemen ratings, QB rating, # of hurrys, interceptions, FGs made, etc. Sure, there will be chemistry issues but these will result in docked pay. Besides, a recruiting class of 25 5* players each year can overcome a few fights.

We're even going to donate an extra 10% of our annual profits to the NCAA out of the goodness of our hearts. I believe that the karma in the universe will ensure I get a high return on that investment.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    I'm going to shift careers and become an AD. I'm going to find the team ranked in the bottom 60 that has a strong law school and half-decent alumni support. We're going to pay players in cash, gold bricks, jewelry, whatever. One wing of the athletic department will be to process payments and control any media or other leaks of recruiting activities. We'll have a plan in place to sue the NCAA as an institution as well as any individual who investigates. The suits will be filed in our local jurisdiction, of course, and potential for court bias will be one of my criteria for choosing my school.

The head coach will make $100k a year. His job will be to supervise an OC and DC who can gameplan, and ensure S&C occurs. Motivation will come not from the head coach but from player incentive pay. They'll get paid for their linemen ratings, QB rating, # of hurrys, interceptions, FGs made, etc. Sure, there will be chemistry issues but these will result in docked pay. Besides, a recruiting class of 25 5* players each year can overcome a few fights.

We're even going to donate an extra 10% of our annual profits to the NCAA out of the goodness of our hearts. I believe that the karma in the universe will ensure I get a high return on that investment.
    Tulane is holding for you on line 2...
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I saw also where Nevin Shapiro's lawyer was on the NCAA payroll. Apparently, one (or more) of the investigators asked him to subpoena and/or depose figures in their case against the institution.

Questions weren't raised until someone processing invoices in the accounts payable department asked a simple question: "What the hell is this for?"
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation First Team KentuckianaBFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well, if the Mega Thread isn't going to be reopened, I guess this mess will have to do until the next game...might be interesting, though.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I just think the Division I conferences and universities need to form a new organization and formulate reasonable rules/regulations that ALL must comply with and sue the NCAA so that it can receive some/most of the $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$ that the NCAA has received from its members.

It's location needs to be in a place equi-distance from North/South and East/West.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

The other annoying thing to me, is that the NCAA has gone out of their way to make themselves impotent. I find this frustrating because about the only way to stop Alabama now, is to go the Auburn route. Now, the NCAA is going oh hey, don't worry, we won't do anything.

This also becomes a trap because not only is it encouraging rule breaking by making it obvious they're not being as aggressive, but it can encourage Alabama boosters as well. And, for some reason I feel like Alabama still wouldn't get away with it, because too many people want them to go down.

I want to applaud this whole thing, because it makes the NCAA look like idiots, but the NCAA picked the wrong time to grow a conscious.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think the situation with the NCAA has come about not because they grew a conscience, but because their actions cross not just ethical and professional, but also legal bounds. That's the crux of the situation. Breaking their own rules really wasn't the issue. Breaking professional rules and the rule of law - that will get you into trouble as individuals and as an organization.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't blame the NCAA for using Shapiro to help them find the bodies, so to speak, but if their entire case is dependant on the testimony of this kind of liar then they are beyond help.
    Gee, I know you've been here awhile. We're sitting here figuring irony can be pretty ironic. Since when is having the coach of an arch-rival as the secret witness against you "reliable" testimony?

And it was a liar, Gene Jelks, who got the ball rolling on us in the first place. Although we didn't get hit for anything regarding Jelks, it was one of those "let's see what else we can find" searches that got us in the NCAA doghouse.

You simply aren't going to find any more Tide fans who think the NCAA is even remotely fair than you will Buckeye fans. It's one thing to have punished us - that would have been one thing. Killing a man for jaywalking, though is something else.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles15 View Post
    I think the situation with the NCAA has come about not because they grew a conscience, but because their actions cross not just ethical and professional, but also legal bounds. That's the crux of the situation. Breaking their own rules really wasn't the issue. Breaking professional rules and the rule of law - that will get you into trouble as individuals and as an organization.
    Then explain the Cam situation. They hammered other programs with less proof.

They did every underhanded and unethical tactic against Alabama, and threatened to do worse. Something changed, but it's a little late isn't it? Now, it makes Alabama's punishment that much more pointless. They can't even say they used Alabama as an example anymore, now the example is you can shop your kid, and you can break the rules so long as the NCAA can't make you admit to doing it.

I hate the NCAA, but the NCAA policy is turning into don't ask don't tell. I swear someone there is like look, the only way to stop Nick Saban's recruiting is to buy recruits. It's like one more way for the NCAA to get Alabama, heh...
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Gee, I know you've been here awhile. We're sitting here figuring irony can be pretty ironic. Since when is having the coach of an arch-rival as the secret witness against you "reliable" testimony?

And it was a liar, Gene Jelks, who got the ball rolling on us in the first place. Although we didn't get hit for anything regarding Jelks, it was one of those "let's see what else we can find" searches that got us in the NCAA doghouse.

You simply aren't going to find any more Tide fans who think the NCAA is even remotely fair than you will Buckeye fans. It's one thing to have punished us - that would have been one thing. Killing a man for jaywalking, though is something else.
    Yep - the NCAA has always acted capriciously. This has to be driven by something other than a desire to be "fair" or "ethical" in their investigations.