NCAA launches external review of enforcement program due to issues in Miami case

Interesting read here:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...unches+external+review+of+enforcement+program

In light of this incident and other recent events involving the enforcement staff, President Emmert has commissioned an external review of the enforcement program. The review will include a thorough investigation into the current issue as well as the overall enforcement environment, to ensure operation of the program is consistent with the essential principles of integrity and accountability. The NCAA has retained Kenneth L. Wainstein, a partner with the law firm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP to conduct this investigation. Wainstein specializes in corporate internal investigations and civil and criminal enforcement proceedings. He was formerly Homeland Security Advisor to President George W. Bush and has served as the Assistant Attorney General for National Security as well as the FBI General Counsel.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
May be I'm reading too much into it, and I guess I should breath a sign of relief... but the NCAA under Emmert is sounding more and more like, let's try and find an excuse not to punish schools. That's all well and good, but he wasn't around when Alabama was getting hammered, of course he'd be around when some foul stuff is going on at other schools.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Miami may end up getting a lot better deal than was expected. Depending on what information the NCAA did not properly obtain.

NCAA is a joke.
Yep. Finally, a school got smart, got good lawyers, and pushed back substantially instead of rolling over... I guess schools have done this in the past, but it was kept more "hush hush"...

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Seems the article on ESPN said that Shapiro's lawyer was on the payroll of the NCAA and that they had obtained some information via that channel that helped them "prosecute Miami". At least that's how I read it. Said they weren't going to use the information garnered in that manner, which seems to make me think, Miami may skate now.

NCAA president Mark Emmert announced the findings Wednesday. The sports governing body said former enforcement staff members worked with the criminal defense attorney for former Miami booster and convicted Ponzi scheme architect Nevin Shapiro "to improperly obtain information ... through a bankruptcy proceeding that did not involve the NCAA."
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8872992/ncaa-reveals-found-improper-conduct-investigation-miami-hurricanes

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't blame the NCAA for using Shapiro to help them find the bodies, so to speak, but if their entire case is dependant on the testimony of this kind of liar then they are beyond help.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Miami may end up getting a lot better deal than was expected. Depending on what information the NCAA did not properly obtain.

NCAA is a joke.
Auburn already got off once, so I guess this means they'll get off again huh? That's just how it feels, but it also feels like if Alabama gets in trouble again all this friendlier crap will go out the window.

NCAA to Auburn: We know you did it, but we can't prove you did it.
NCAA to Miami: We can prove you did it, but we can't know you did it.

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
This 15 month old story about a proceding that was over two years old when it was written will give you some insight as to how all the twists and turns of this one came to this point. Sounds like a trial run to me----we want to make certain our information comes from public sources and not private depositions-----

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/11/2449217/um-booster-shapiros-bankruptcy.html

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I like David Ridpath's point via Twitter. "The Miami investigators didn't just learn this--this is par for the course."

In the Means case, they colluded with the US Attorney's office and compelled Lynn Lang to cooperate with the NCAA enforcement staff as part of his plea deal.

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/news/2002/1113/1460410.html

That's in addition to using secret witnesses (that we allowed them to).

And I'm telling y'all... if the Jackie Sherrill lawsuit ever gets to deposition and or trial testimony, this Shapiro and the old Means case are gonna look like good ol' fashioned detective work from Dragnet.

Edit to add:

"That is my big question -- why now as if it has not happened in the past?" wondered Dr. David Ridpath, Assistant Professor of Sports Administration at Ohio University, who is an expert on the NCAA process. "I have been accusing enforcement of not following their own rules for years [interviewing wrong people, threats, improper procedures, rogue investigators etc.], and they always rebuffed me saying the system was perfect. My only thought is someone was ready to blow the lid on this [Shapiro perhaps?] and Emmert had no choice. I cannot imagine him doing this unless he saw a storm coming.

"I think the [UCLA Shabazz] Muhammad case shows how these investigators can get drunk with power. In their defense, it is difficult to get information without subpoenas. But if they expect people to follow rules of conduct, they must do the same. However, they have gotten attorney information before. They certainly did in the Albert Means case."
Via Bruce Feldman

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...04690/timing-of-ncaas-eyes-opening-is-curious

Last edited:

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I'm going to shift careers and become an AD. I'm going to find the team ranked in the bottom 60 that has a strong law school and half-decent alumni support. We're going to pay players in cash, gold bricks, jewelry, whatever. One wing of the athletic department will be to process payments and control any media or other leaks of recruiting activities. We'll have a plan in place to sue the NCAA as an institution as well as any individual who investigates. The suits will be filed in our local jurisdiction, of course, and potential for court bias will be one of my criteria for choosing my school.

The head coach will make $100k a year. His job will be to supervise an OC and DC who can gameplan, and ensure S&C occurs. Motivation will come not from the head coach but from player incentive pay. They'll get paid for their linemen ratings, QB rating, # of hurrys, interceptions, FGs made, etc. Sure, there will be chemistry issues but these will result in docked pay. Besides, a recruiting class of 25 5* players each year can overcome a few fights.

We're even going to donate an extra 10% of our annual profits to the NCAA out of the goodness of our hearts. I believe that the karma in the universe will ensure I get a high return on that investment.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'm going to shift careers and become an AD. I'm going to find the team ranked in the bottom 60 that has a strong law school and half-decent alumni support. We're going to pay players in cash, gold bricks, jewelry, whatever. One wing of the athletic department will be to process payments and control any media or other leaks of recruiting activities. We'll have a plan in place to sue the NCAA as an institution as well as any individual who investigates. The suits will be filed in our local jurisdiction, of course, and potential for court bias will be one of my criteria for choosing my school.

The head coach will make $100k a year. His job will be to supervise an OC and DC who can gameplan, and ensure S&C occurs. Motivation will come not from the head coach but from player incentive pay. They'll get paid for their linemen ratings, QB rating, # of hurrys, interceptions, FGs made, etc. Sure, there will be chemistry issues but these will result in docked pay. Besides, a recruiting class of 25 5* players each year can overcome a few fights.

We're even going to donate an extra 10% of our annual profits to the NCAA out of the goodness of our hearts. I believe that the karma in the universe will ensure I get a high return on that investment.
Tulane is holding for you on line 2...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I saw also where Nevin Shapiro's lawyer was on the NCAA payroll. Apparently, one (or more) of the investigators asked him to subpoena and/or depose figures in their case against the institution.

Questions weren't raised until someone processing invoices in the accounts payable department asked a simple question: "What the hell is this for?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.