Link: Interesting tweet and retweet by NC St. former player and current player...

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Their message boards laughed at us. Said he didn't win here b/c it wasn't a bball school. Now they are saying the same things we have said. HA! HA! HA!

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Their message boards laughed at us. Said he didn't win here b/c it wasn't a bball school. Now they are saying the same things we have said. HA! HA! HA!
Yep. They should realize that his teams do not play well on defense, and have trouble winning on the road.

Did anyone catch the halftime discussion last night between Seth Greenburg and Jay Williams? They were discussing the NC St. loss to a terrible Wake team and how NC St. needs to validate their win over Duke by winning on the road.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Gottfraud redux. Nothing more. Only game adjustment he ever made in his "coaching" was the part in his hair. And what was his road record again - or do we need to get out a few rolls of pennies and a couple of $20 gold pieces to work as an abacus for calculating it...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Gottfried is a good recruiter, but only a decent coach. That is why we has so many kid leave disillusioned after a year or 2. NC state has great talent right now and to screw that up takes some doing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Funny to see some of the Alabama media react to the loss on Twitter Tuesday night. I would check Twitter to see what the media was saying about the Bama game and came across some of them tweeting about "same ole Gottfried" or "we know Mark Gottfriend too well."

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
I remember when cmg was hired. He was constantly promising the upbeat offense he ran at his prior school. He ran just the opposite at Bama. I think he also had the best 1st half record of any ncaa coach and worst 2nd half at the same time. Blown leads and no chance on the road was our mo for several years.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Gottfraud redux. Nothing more. Only game adjustment he ever made in his "coaching" was the part in his hair. And what was his road record again - or do we need to get out a few rolls of pennies and a couple of $20 gold pieces to work as an abacus for calculating it...
I remember sitting in Coleman watching us play UT when CMG took his jacket off. The lady sitting next to me asked her husband why Gottfried always did that and the man said it was the only adjustment and coaching decision that he made during a game. I burst out with a laugh and the lady had a bewildered look on her face while the man just shook his head.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I remember sitting in Coleman watching us play UT when CMG took his jacket off. The lady sitting next to me asked her husband why Gottfried always did that and the man said it was the only adjustment and coaching decision that he made during a game. I burst out with a laugh and the lady had a bewildered look on her face while the man just shook his head.

He'd also lock his fingers above his head to signal some type of play call. I never figured out what that meant. I met a guy that played basketball for Vandy at a networking event. I asked him what he thought of CMG. He said that it easy to watch film on Bama. We didn't run any set plays for there was nothing to prepare for. As long as you had equal to more talent you could beat us with fundamentals. I also asked about the fingers above the head. He said he had no idea what that meant. They never saw anything on film.

countrytider

Suspended
Mar 19, 2001
Marion Co., AL
Gottfried is not a bad coach. Do we really have to go here again?

I understand the gripes people had with him, (lose games we shouldn't, no defense, can't win on the road)...and I had those same gripes too. Bottom line is he had his flaws, but we did have some pretty good teams under him and he brought in a lot of talent...a whole heck of a lot more than what we have now, or have been getting the last 4 years.

5 Straight Tourney appearances
Elite 8
and a regular season SEC championship.

That's not too bad at Alabama.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

I understand the gripes people had with him, (lose games we shouldn't, no defense, can't win on the road)...and I had those same gripes too. Bottom line is he had his flaws, but we did have some pretty good teams under him and he brought in a lot of talent...a whole heck of a lot more than what we have now, or have been getting the last 4 years.

Elite 8

That kinda makes our point about him not being a very good "game" coach. You are saying that he had far more talent than Grant (and I can't argue with that), yet his overall winning percentage and winning percentage in SEC games while at Alabama is lower than that of Coach Grant while at Alabama.

...and I agree that CMG's body of work at Alabama was pretty good for a while.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Elite 8

He was fired over unforgivable mistakes in his personal life. Well, if it weren't for that, he might have gotten another year...

countrytider

Suspended
Mar 19, 2001
Marion Co., AL
I think Grant is an excellent defensive coach, offense not so much. Also, as far as overall game day coach I'm not completely sure of that either...don't you remember the timeout he called with about 2 secs left in the first rd of the tourney last year against Creighton? Killing any chance we had at a drive and a foul called or gw shot.

Regardless, even if he was the best game day coach in the America, he has got to start recruiting better or we are going to continue to put less talented teams on the court than any teams I can remember at Alabama other than the Hobbs era.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think Grant is an excellent defensive coach, offense not so much. Also, as far as overall game day coach I'm not completely sure of that either...don't you remember the timeout he called with about 2 secs left in the first rd of the tourney last year against Creighton? Killing any chance we had at a drive and a foul called or gw shot.

Regardless, even if he was the best game day coach in the America, he has got to start recruiting better or we are going to continue to put less talented teams on the court than any teams I can remember at Alabama other than the Hobbs era.
Well, I thought the thread was about Gottfried, not Grant. Also, I don't know of anyone who questioned Gottfried's recruiting ability. The point of the tweets from the former and present players for Gottfried was that he can recruit but not coach. TBF, that was the opinion of the last few teams he coached at Bama also. It just wasn't made public like this. As I said, the thread is not about Grant, but I'd agree that the jury is still out on him as a recruiter, and, to a lesser degree, as a coach. But, again, this thread is not about Grant or even a comparison between Grant and Gottfried. It's really about the way Gottfried was perceived here and the way he's being perceived at NCS. And, to repeat, Gottfried's moral blunder made it necessary to fire him. Retaining him was impossible, no matter how he coached. He's lucky that it was just semi-public and he didn't have a motorcycle accident to reveal it to the world...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Retaining him was impossible, no matter how he coached. He's lucky that it was just semi-public and he didn't have a motorcycle accident to reveal it to the world...
Unfortunately as NC State's finding out, how his teams play (matador) defense, break (under) the press, "run" the UCLA high-post offense, and give up leads (and are thenceforth done until the next game) are all too public. Gottfraud's a Wolfpack problem now. But he's always got that first and only No. 1 ranking for 'Bama in basketball to fall back - along with "coaching" the first No. 1 team to fall completely out of the Top 25 and miss the tournament altogether.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Unfortunately as NC State's finding out, how his teams play (matador) defense, break (under) the press, "run" the UCLA high-post offense, and give up leads (and are thenceforth done until the next game) are all too public. Gottfraud's a Wolfpack problem now. But he's always got that first and only No. 1 ranking for 'Bama in basketball to fall back - along with "coaching" the first No. 1 team to fall completely out of the Top 25 and miss the tournament altogether.
I think we made the tourney that year, one and done

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
It looks like Gottfried's still got his old magic. NC State managed to hold on and not quite blow most of an almost 30 point or so lead to UNC at home. Some things never change except at Bama under him we would've blown the whole lead and lost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.