Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wide Receivers Next Year-Has Any Team Ever Had As Much Quality Depth?

Seriously think about it. There have been teams like Southern Cal and others who have had absolutely a complete one or two super studs at Wide Receiver.

But in overall numbers of quality receivers has any team ever had better and more explosive potential than us coming up next season with Norwood, Amari, Chris Black, Kenny Bell, Deandre White, Robert Foster(incoming), Christian Jones. Marvin Shinn, Cyrus Jones etc.

I might honestly have to vote no.

Our depth at that one position simply beats all I've ever seen.

Time will tell but I sure feel good about it!

sip

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wide Receivers Next Year-Has Any Team Ever Had As Much Quality Depth?

Two seasons ago, Baylor had Titans #1 pic Kendall Wright, Browns rookie Josh Gordon, who finished his rookie season with 805 yards, and present day senior bowl sensation and soon to be first rounder, Terrance Williams. I'm sure there are a few other schools that have had similar great groups.
    On the Alabama roster, Cooper appears to be a top ten NFL pick, with several of the others having a great chance to go in the top three rounds when they come out. I'll be interested to see how much this talent is used to get the ball down the field. You almost have to go with three wides, etc more often just so you don't waste talent. With AJ returning, the ball could be flyin'.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Your depth at RB is also the best that I have ever seen. If your new O-Line gels and AJ stays healthy, you should have an even better offense next year than you had this year.
    Last edited by B1GTide; January 23rd, 2013 at 05:58 PM.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree... 6 of those you listed could start anywhere. I love our dominating running game, but if we need explosive plays or need to score quickly, we have plenty of receivers to use as weapons. AJ will have options at every position. (XYZ)

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm super stoked to see Chris Black in action! He looked so good in the warm ups for the championship game and looked like he could have easily played.

Of course the same goes for Kenny Bell and Deandrew White in terms of looking forward to them coming back from injury.

We know what Norwood, Bell and Cooper can do..hopefully they improve along with Shinn who looked better late in the year.

I fully expect Cyrus Jones to blossom and hopefully Christian Jones continues to improve.

Robert Foster looks to be smooth as silk and full of potential!!! Also can't wait to see what Falkins (sp?) can do with his size...around 6'4" I think!

Also don't forget about OJ Howard who is listed as a TE, but most believe can play wide receiver too!

As is said here often, it's an "embarrassment of riches!"
    Last edited by BamaMoon; January 23rd, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Going to make it easier on McCarron AND Cooper. Not many practical ways to double Cooper when every guy can make a play. McCarron also doesn't have to force a throw because the open guy can make plays too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I'm super stoked to see Chris Black in action! He looked so good in the warm ups for the championship game and looked like he could have easily played.

Of course the same goes for Kenny Bell and Deandrew White in terms of looking forward to them coming back from injury.

We know what Norwood, Bell and Cooper can do..hopefully they improve along with Shinn who looked better late in the year.

I fully expect Cyrus Jones to blossom and hopefully Christian Jones continues to improve.

Robert Foster looks to be smooth as silk and full of potential!!! Also can't wait to see what Falkins (sp?) can do with his size...around 6'4" I think!

Also don't forget about OJ Howard who is listed as a TE, but most believe can play wide receiver too!

As is said here often, it's an "embarrassment of riches!"
    Shinn showed some impressive development between the SECCG and BCSCG. His deep completion he dropped may have been a little late from McCarron which led to the hit. Christion Jones is due to take the next step next year and White+Bell is a competent burner threat. Not to forget our Hines Ward, Kevin Norwood. Not a flashy guy but he makes the winning plays.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Amari Cooper has blown me away with his play. We might have 3 Cooper clones in Chris Black, DeAndrew White, and Robert Foster...WOW!
    Last edited by TheSabanator; January 23rd, 2013 at 06:39 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Couple that WR corps with potential of OJ Howard at TE - WOW! I'd give anything to have the OL we had this year just one more year! If the OL comes together (and honestly, I think they will) we could be looking at the most prolific offense we've ever had by a mile. If Jalston can come back at full strength at FB, we may be telling our grandkids about next year's offense.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Best comparison I could find, and only judging on College work, is the 1996 Florida Gators..

• 3 Travis McGriff - Sophomore
    • 5 Jacquez Green - Sophomore
    • 8 Nafis Karim - Sophomore
    • 15 Reidel Anthony - Junior
    • 18 Jamie Richardson - Freshman
    • 19 Ike Hilliard - Junior
    • 20 Tyrone Baker - Junior
    • 31 Craig Dudley - Freshman
    • 83 Jason Dean - Senior
    • 84 David Nabavi - Senior
    • 85 Ian Skinner - Freshman

Mcgriff, Green, Anthony, and Hilliard all were All Americans at one time. They all posted 1000+ seasons in their careers. They all were drafted in the first three rounds (Mcgriff 3rd, Green, 2nd, Anthiny and Hilliard 1st). That's a nice comparison to be able to have...

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

I'd love to see us come out in some of those stacked formations that Charlie Stubbs was fond of. We could send the opposing DC to the hospital by halftime.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Don't forget about Raheem Falkins out of NOLA as well that is coming in. Another 6'4" kid. With O.J. coming in as well this should be fun!!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Your depth at RB is also the best that I have ever seen. If your new O-Line gels and AJ stays healthy, you should have an even better offense next year than you had this year.
    As you said IF our OL gels and AJ stays healthy. Our RB and receiver talent complement each other. If a defense loads up to stop the run they get burned down field. I think it's possible this could actually help our OL since they should have equality with the defense on most plays.