US to allow women in combat roles - Good idea or bad?

Should women be allowed in combat roles?

• Bad idea

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • About time

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes, but only if they can meet the same standards as males

Votes: 28 41.2%

• Total voters

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This is a horrible idea. It's human nature for men to protect their women, whether it's at home or abroad. Whether the woman is at home waiting for him or in the same unit as him makes no difference. If there is a woman beside a man, even in combat, in his mind it is his job to protect her. If a man takes his mind off of his job even for an instant in a combat situation he's dead, and more than likely, so is she.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I seem to remember reading somewhere (prior to the Internet) that the average woman could not throw a hand grenade far enough to avoid being hit by the shrapnel it produces. That's a problem, so no, I don't think it's a good idea.
Wait a minute now!!!!! People could read before the internet was invented!!?? :eek:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This is a horrible idea. It's human nature for men to protect their women, whether it's at home or abroad. Whether the woman is at home waiting for him or in the same unit as him makes no difference. If there is a woman beside a man, even in combat, in his mind it is his job to protect her. If a man takes his mind off of his job even for an instant in a combat situation he's dead, and more than likely, so is she.
With enough selection pressure, this idea will die out.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
"Social burden" I believe is what this is being referred to. Women serve honorably and bravely in our armed forces. A lot of them are moms who get deployed. Do we really have the stomach to see moms of young kids come back in body bags?

Putting women on the front lines of combat is beyond stupid.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
the boys doing the real work need to eat and get laid....let the women in.

But it is going to cost the boys their paychecks!
Seriously, I am all for it and since the Sec of State thinks it doesn't matter how they might die or what might cause their deaths, Chelsea would make a great infantry woman.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
"Social burden" I believe is what this is being referred to. Women serve honorably and bravely in our armed forces. A lot of them are moms who get deployed. Do we really have the stomach to see moms of young kids come back in body bags?

Putting women on the front lines of combat is beyond stupid.

I agree, I have never been for it and never will.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
I have a couple female relatives who have served in the United States Military. I would never want to see either of them, or any woman at all, on the front lines. However one of those women I know could very well keep up with the men. It's not a yes or no situation for me.

Some jobs in the military are gender specific for a reason and it has nothing to do with politics. Yet politics always finds it's way into a place it doesn't belong.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Let me reiterate that there are a handful of females in the military that are tough as nails, expert marksman, trained in hand-to-hand combat, and are fully aware of the consequences of what may or may not happen if captured. I think some of you are selling women short. Yes, generally speaking, women are not as effective as men during a firefight. Some are. In my experience, those few that are, they are not "butch" and clean up quite well. It goes back to the desire to be the very best they can be both physically and mentally. I am for them being allowed as long as they can meet the same physical requirements as men do. Not many can meet those requirements however.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.