US to allow women in combat roles - Good idea or bad?

Should women be allowed in combat roles?

• Bad idea

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • About time

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes, but only if they can meet the same standards as males

Votes: 28 41.2%

• Total voters

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Leon Panetta, in one of his last acts as President Obama's defense secretary, is preparing to announce the policy change, which would open hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war, the Pentagon confirmed Wednesday.
I think it is a bad idea in general, but if they reduce the physical requirements like they have done for women in non-combat roles then it will deffinately be a horrible idea.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/23/panetta-opens-combat-roles-to-women/#ixzz2Iqn7Ic5Y

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
If these women can handle it both physically and mentally, I don't see why not. Me personally I never would, but some women I'm sure can hang with the men.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think it is a bad idea in general, but if they reduce the physical requirements like they have done for women in non-combat roles then it will deffinately be a horrible idea.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/23/panetta-opens-combat-roles-to-women/#ixzz2Iqn7Ic5Y
I would not gender-norm standards. I have little faith in the military's ability to keep standards and accomplish this. There will be pressure to lower standards so women can pass. Combat is a very unforgiving environment and the penalty for getting it even slightly wrong is horrendous. Ask the French in 1940.
On the other hand, nobody cares what's between the soldier's legs, but what between the ears, as how strong & fast he is. Women have been getting into firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan for years, and sometimes doing quite well. On other occasions, women have not done so well.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If these women can handle it both physically and mentally, I don't see why not. Me personally I never would, but some women I'm sure can hang with the men.
My first infil into Iraq, my ruck weighed 150 pounds, not counting weapon, LBE, etc. I haven't met too many women would could hump that ruck.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I generally think it's not a good idea, but if a female meets the same standards as her male counterparts and wants to put herself in harm's way, then so be it.

Also, it would be interesting to see how an all-female combat team performs in the field, especially a special operations team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We're entering the It Doesn't Matter era of military engagement. Our Ruthless Leader is fond of shooting folks from drones so does this really matter?

That said, I used to have an example I gave at work: Pick me up and run. I weighed 175, and I wasn't exactly muscular. You'd get folks my size and 230. How many gals can pick that up? Sure, a few could. But this isn't about social advancement.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I seem to remember reading somewhere (prior to the Internet) that the average woman could not throw a hand grenade far enough to avoid being hit by the shrapnel it produces. That's a problem, so no, I don't think it's a good idea.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Speaking from personal experience, there are a handful of women in the military that are tough as nails. There are also a handful that would fare quite well in combat situations.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I thought we were leaving all the war zones?

The genders are different. If the military has no problem with it then fine. If they don't lower the standards women won't make it. All evidence says that they have and will. That will put them and the guys in more danger. To do that just o be PC is unforgivably insane.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Women as POWs would cause great stress on our country. Muslims view women poorly, and their treatment as prisoners would be horrible.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
As a former service member, I am definitely against it. But in this liberal era of us being unable/unwilling to recognize the differences between the sexes, it was bound to happen.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
man, i thought everyone on here would be all for wimmenz in the military. just think about how much easier it will be to overthrow the tyrannical obama regime now that you will be going against a bunch of chicks ;) :p

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.