Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

Questions in the same category -

How long is a piece of string?
    Do we choose to believe in determinism or are we predestined to believe in free will?
    Is it a self-help book if someone else wrote it?
    Is there another word for synonym?
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?
    If you try to fail, is it possible to succeed?
    What was the best thing before sliced bread?
    What is the difference between ugly and orange?

For the record, Don Hutson was/is the greatest Alabama Athlete. I will humbly accept my pseudo-degree in UA philosophy now, thank you.
    “In the South everybody’s got a story, a long, elaborate, rambling, subordinate-clause-filled, possibly even entirely made-up story.”

—Diane Roberts, quoted in book review by Jay Watson
    in The Southern Register, Fall 2009

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Javier Arenas is criminally underseeded (#5 in Bryant Division). All the kickers rated above him made some big kicks in their careers, but we simply don't go undefeated in 2009 without him. I would even go so far to say that statement holds even if you discount the considerable work he did as the Star.

BamaNation All-American Crimson Speed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRevT View Post
    Hard to say. Got a lot of good ones. How bout number 97-Bisquit
    I was thinking about Bennett myself. He was a great one. Tough call though between him and Leroy Jordan; but I have to go with Leroy.

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Harry Gilmer was the most phenomenal football player in his era. There literally has not been another football player since him that was as amazing across the board as he was. He passed, ran, kicked, and returned kicks...he even led the nation in some of those stats. He also led the 1945 team to an undefeated season and Rose Bowl win. IMHO, that team could have won the national championship had there not been such a push for Army and Navy coming out of WWII. Heck...Navy finished 7-1-1 and was voted #2 in the final AP Poll.

The fact that Gilmer is a 4 seed in his area of the bracket...behind Barker, Van Tiffin, and Leigh Tiffin...is a joke. Harry Gilmer is the only one of those four who is in the College Football Hall of Fame.

I have no problem with the bracket in general...as it is just for fun...but I think you'd have to separate each era of football to honestly name the best player in each era. You cannot begin to compare Harry Gilmer to most of these other players because none of them were as successful at multiple positions. McCarron isn't leading the team in rushing and punting while also being a great QB...for example.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hutson

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I thought Urban Meyer invented the jump pass.
    ..Urban Meyer ensured its demise...

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Don Hutson. Not only a great in Alabama football history but high among the all time greats in NFL history as well.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGyowski View Post
    Harry Gilmer was the most phenomenal football player in his era. There literally has not been another football player since him that was as amazing across the board as he was. He passed, ran, kicked, and returned kicks...he even led the nation in some of those stats. He also led the 1945 team to an undefeated season and Rose Bowl win. IMHO, that team could have won the national championship had there not been such a push for Army and Navy coming out of WWII. Heck...Navy finished 7-1-1 and was voted #2 in the final AP Poll.

The fact that Gilmer is a 4 seed in his area of the bracket...behind Barker, Van Tiffin, and Leigh Tiffin...is a joke. Harry Gilmer is the only one of those four who is in the College Football Hall of Fame.

I have no problem with the bracket in general...as it is just for fun...but I think you'd have to separate each era of football to honestly name the best player in each era. You cannot begin to compare Harry Gilmer to most of these other players because none of them were as successful at multiple positions. McCarron isn't leading the team in rushing and punting while also being a great QB...for example.
    Seeding works a little differently than it looks. Each position was seeded. Gilmer was the #4 seeded QB. Technically he has a lower seed than Tiffin, but only because they were seeded based on position, not as 1-64.

I do agree Arenas should be higher. Perhaps the most important ST player we've ever had.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Seeding works a little differently than it looks. Each position was seeded. Gilmer was the #4 seeded QB. Technically he has a lower seed than Tiffin, but only because they were seeded based on position, not as 1-64.

I do agree Arenas should be higher. Perhaps the most important ST player we've ever had.
    what about the deuce?

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, a lot of the same names are popping up.
    And, I think, Don Hutson, John Hannah, and Dwight Stephenson are probably the three with the greatest personas when considering their entire careers. All three are in the discussion when debating the best of all time at their positions in the NFL.

And, tribute to Chris Samuels' excellence: "He started 42 straight games, from early in his 1996 freshman season until his last regular-season game as a senior, without yielding a sack. Samuels did not allow a quarterback pressure in 1999, had 91 knockdown blocks (7 per game) and played nearly every offensive snap during the regular season."

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    what about the deuce?
    I dunno, Arenas nearly set the NCAA record for punt return yardage.

Only 4 people have ever had 100+ punt return games and it's been done 6 times. Javy had 3 by himself.

Palmer's career yardage was 866
    Arena's career yardage was 1,752

And this is just a ballpark guess, but I'd bet Arena's had at least 150-200+ yards that were called back due to holding calls.

If we're going kickoff returns
    Palmer had 818 career yards
    Arenas had 2,166 career yards
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation First Team Capt. Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

David Paine

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

What is it gauged on?

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk