Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonBeachBum's Avatar

Re: Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    As CrimsonSEC stated..That's nearly an impossible question to answer..Some of the greatest players the game has ever seen walked on our sideline..Even though he's a Senior this year..As the years pass by..What Barrett Jones did at Bama will only become more amazing & will be nearly impossible to duplicate(I don't think it will be done again)..

To become an All American at 3 different positions is unheard of..That feat puts him on the "Legend" level & status right now..He get my vote in this thread..50 yrs from now folks will look back with amazement as they talk about Barrett..And we had the pleasure to witness it as it happened..
    Hard to argue against that. We may never see anyone do this again at any school (All American at three different positions).
    "You got any biscuits fer sale in-nare?" "Reckin what you like to eat in-nare?"

2. Advertisement

Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I thought Urban Meyer invented the jump pass.
    Arkansas threw a jump pass in the 1980 Sugar Bowl (end of the '79 season). ESPN Classic recently rebroadcast the game. The pass failed : -)

BamaNation Second Team

Man, that Saban division is STACKED! Trent a 3? Hightower a 7? Wow
    ‘I can’t really say that you’re going to come in here and start. You’ve got to come here and be ready to compete because the best man plays.’ CNS

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Don Hutson--and no one else is even close at this point.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Barrett Jones was an all star at 3 different positions. That gets my vote.

BamaNation First Team BamaBoots's Avatar
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

I hope someone on our 100th National Championship in a row. Cause I want leave with no one else winning it.

How can I vote on this? Its just too hard to do.

Lee Roy Jordan (4) vs Shaun Alexander (5)
    Bobby Humphrey (2) vs Dont'a Hightower (7)
    Terrence Cody (3) vs (Chance Warmack (6)

Is Namath really the best QB 'Bama has ever had to be rated #1?
    Is AJ # 5??

I don't even know who I will vote for when Mark Ingram goes against Barry Krauss - I still remember that Penn State game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

For all you Hutson fans, the Hutson vs. Johnson matchup went up today. So far, Hutson is only winning 68%-32%

Click this link.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

I'll go with Colin MacGuire
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    For all you Hutson fans, the Hutson vs. Johnson matchup went up today. So far, Hutson is only winning 68%-32%

Click this link.
    Which means 32 percent of those voting are terribly misinformed rendering the entire process kind of meaningless

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

OK, someone has to do it so I'll be the one.......................FOREST GUMP!!

Seriously, it's impossible because no one has seen them all, but I will add my little tidbit, I'll be 72 in a few weeks and have been a Bama fan since 1947. Only saw a few bits of Bama football at the local movie theater in the news-reels between the usual Saturday double features. (Usually westerns.....I was a huge Durango Kid fan.) Harry Gilmer was my very 1st Bama football hero in 1947. Still, Lee Roy Jordan was and remains the best football player I've ever seen.

BTW, please get his name right.......Lee is his 1st name and Roy is his middle name....Lee Roy, not Leroy.
    Last edited by TommyMac; January 25th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

Some of the seed rankings don't make sense to me. Jay Barker is a 3 seed while AJ McCarron is a 5 seed in the same division. Shaun Alexander seems low as a 5 seed although we've had a lot of good backs.
    Discipline.
    Commitment.
    Effort.
    Toughness.
    Pride.
    (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100201/news/100209986)

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    OK, someone has to do it so I'll be the one.......................FOREST GUMP!!

Seriously, it's impossible because no one has seen them all, but I will add my little tidbit, I'll be 72 in a few weeks and have been a Bama fan since 1947. Only saw a few bits of Bama football at the local movie theater in the news-reels between the usual Saturday double features. (Usually westerns.....I was a huge Durango Kid fan.) Harry Gilmer was my very 1st Bama football hero in 1947. Still, Lee Roy Jordan was and remains the best football player I've ever seen.

BTW, please get his name right.......Lee is his 1st name and Roy is his middle name....Lee Roy, not Leroy.
    He would have most definitely been no. 2 on my list, right behind Don Hutson. He holds a record that will likely never be eclipsed--he had over 30 tackles in the '63 Orange Bowl. However, I chose Hutson mainly because of the impact that he had on the game itself. Take that out of the equation and the young man from Excel, AL, might very well have been the best player to ever suit up in Tuscaloosa, IMO...
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings