Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Seeding works a little differently than it looks. Each position was seeded. Gilmer was the #4 seeded QB. Technically he has a lower seed than Tiffin, but only because they were seeded based on position, not as 1-64.

I do agree Arenas should be higher. Perhaps the most important ST player we've ever had.
what about the deuce?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Obviously, a lot of the same names are popping up.
And, I think, Don Hutson, John Hannah, and Dwight Stephenson are probably the three with the greatest personas when considering their entire careers. All three are in the discussion when debating the best of all time at their positions in the NFL.

And, tribute to Chris Samuels' excellence: "He started 42 straight games, from early in his 1996 freshman season until his last regular-season game as a senior, without yielding a sack. Samuels did not allow a quarterback pressure in 1999, had 91 knockdown blocks (7 per game) and played nearly every offensive snap during the regular season."

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
what about the deuce?
I dunno, Arenas nearly set the NCAA record for punt return yardage.

Only 4 people have ever had 100+ punt return games and it's been done 6 times. Javy had 3 by himself.

Palmer's career yardage was 866
Arena's career yardage was 1,752

And this is just a ballpark guess, but I'd bet Arena's had at least 150-200+ yards that were called back due to holding calls.

If we're going kickoff returns
Palmer had 818 career yards
Arenas had 2,166 career yards

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
As CrimsonSEC stated..That's nearly an impossible question to answer..Some of the greatest players the game has ever seen walked on our sideline..Even though he's a Senior this year..As the years pass by..What Barrett Jones did at Bama will only become more amazing & will be nearly impossible to duplicate(I don't think it will be done again)..

To become an All American at 3 different positions is unheard of..That feat puts him on the "Legend" level & status right now..He get my vote in this thread..50 yrs from now folks will look back with amazement as they talk about Barrett..And we had the pleasure to witness it as it happened..
Hard to argue against that. We may never see anyone do this again at any school (All American at three different positions).

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
How can I vote on this? Its just too hard to do.

Lee Roy Jordan (4) vs Shaun Alexander (5)
Bobby Humphrey (2) vs Dont'a Hightower (7)
Terrence Cody (3) vs (Chance Warmack (6)

Is Namath really the best QB 'Bama has ever had to be rated #1?
Is AJ # 5??

I don't even know who I will vote for when Mark Ingram goes against Barry Krauss - I still remember that Penn State game.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
OK, someone has to do it so I'll be the one.......................FOREST GUMP!! :D

Seriously, it's impossible because no one has seen them all, but I will add my little tidbit, I'll be 72 in a few weeks and have been a Bama fan since 1947. Only saw a few bits of Bama football at the local movie theater in the news-reels between the usual Saturday double features. (Usually westerns.....I was a huge Durango Kid fan.) Harry Gilmer was my very 1st Bama football hero in 1947. Still, Lee Roy Jordan was and remains the best football player I've ever seen.

BTW, please get his name right.......Lee is his 1st name and Roy is his middle name....Lee Roy, not Leroy.

Last edited:

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
Some of the seed rankings don't make sense to me. Jay Barker is a 3 seed while AJ McCarron is a 5 seed in the same division. Shaun Alexander seems low as a 5 seed although we've had a lot of good backs.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
OK, someone has to do it so I'll be the one.......................FOREST GUMP!! :D

Seriously, it's impossible because no one has seen them all, but I will add my little tidbit, I'll be 72 in a few weeks and have been a Bama fan since 1947. Only saw a few bits of Bama football at the local movie theater in the news-reels between the usual Saturday double features. (Usually westerns.....I was a huge Durango Kid fan.) Harry Gilmer was my very 1st Bama football hero in 1947. Still, Lee Roy Jordan was and remains the best football player I've ever seen.

BTW, please get his name right.......Lee is his 1st name and Roy is his middle name....Lee Roy, not Leroy.
He would have most definitely been no. 2 on my list, right behind Don Hutson. He holds a record that will likely never be eclipsed--he had over 30 tackles in the '63 Orange Bowl. However, I chose Hutson mainly because of the impact that he had on the game itself. Take that out of the equation and the young man from Excel, AL, might very well have been the best player to ever suit up in Tuscaloosa, IMO...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.