Who's the Single Greatest Player in Alabama History?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Derrick Thomas would get my vote although John Hannah, Don Hutson, and Lee Roy Jordan were all great, great players. Kerry Goode might have been the greatest had he not had the devastating knee injury his sophomore year.

JunctionBoy

Scout Team
May 8, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Depends on the criteria being used. If we're talking about accomplishments as a college player, AJ McCarron has to be up there. If he wins three straight as a starting QB, he's one of the best COLLEGE football players of all time, not just at Alabama.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
In my lifetime, it would be hard to debate Derrick Thomas. He's the most amazing player I personally got to see play.

Or possibly Tyrone Prothro. If he had not been injured, he would've competed with Bush for the Heisman and possibly won it the next year.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You can't have this list without Stabler at least being mentioned, and take away the injuries and it would be Namath hands down.

But if I HAD to pick I'd vote for Leroy. The number of tackles he made per game was ridiculous. It was like there were five or six number 54's on the field.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Derrick Thomas would get my vote although John Hannah, Don Hutson, and Lee Roy Jordan were all great, great players. Kerry Goode might have been the greatest had he not had the devastating knee injury his sophomore year.
I like your post & would only add 2 Derrick Thomas

And how can we not place Barrett Jones in there? What he did I don't think we will ever see again. He will end up with more awards than any other Alabama player.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Some players who also could have been in the list:

1. Dixie Howell: technically a halfback, but really the consensus All American QB from the 1934 team. The Hartford Howitzer should be in the list somewhere.
2. Vaughan Mancha: Consensus first team AA Center for the 1945 team.
3. Fred Sington- Unanimous 1st team all-american at Tackle in 1930.

I would also put in my pitch for Biscuit: was part of an All-American team 3 different years (1984, 1985, and 1986), including unanimous his last year. Man our LB crop is incredible..

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
Forgive me for bringing up Don Shula's name but I have always been a Dolphins fan. Don Shula once called Dwight Stephenson the best football player he ever had the opportunity to coach. That is saying alot.
I once saw an opposing NFL coach say that he had never seen a defensive plan needed for a center but they had one for Dwight Stephenson. That said I'd have to go with Joe Namath. I once saw him injured, didn't start, come into the game with two minutes before the half tied 0-0, scored two TDs in that two minutes. Too many favorites to name but I'll throw in Johnny Musso.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
The best Bama player I've ever seen is Derrick Thomas. There are very few defensive players who can single handedly dominate a game and win it and he was one of them. Saw him do it at Bama and in KC.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You can't have this list without Stabler at least being mentioned, and take away the injuries and it would be Namath hands down.

But if I HAD to pick I'd vote for Leroy. The number of tackles he made per game was ridiculous. It was like there were five or six number 54's on the field.
He is, he's the #2 seeded QB on there.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I like your post & would only add 2 Derrick Thomas

And how can we not place Barrett Jones in there? What he did I don't think we will ever see again. He will end up with more awards than any other Alabama player.
He is, he's the #2 seeded OL.

Is the original link not working? It's working on my end, but I can repost it if it's not clickable or something.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Derrick Thomas would have been as dominant in any era, as would Barrett Jones. My vote goes to Thomas because he proved to be just as good against NFL talent, but let's see how Jones does in the NFL.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Robert Stewart was one of my favorites. Fireplug, but no chance against Hannah - one of the best ever.

My vote for GOAT would be Derrick Thomas. Never seen one better personally.

Proud graduate of Woodlawn High so Harry Gilmer and Tony Nathan have been drilled into the brain. :biggrin:
Look no further than your avatar for the answer.;)

Seriously, it's just about impossible to answer this. Maybe it should be broken down into different decades, which would still be hard. But if pressed, I would have to go with Leroy Jordan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.