CNS Entering Uncharted Territory Even for Him - The ThreePeat

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CNS had 3 opportunities to produce a "repeat" (I guess it's ok to use this term now).

Third time was a charm.

But each time, starting with 2004 at LSU and then 2010 at Alabama his team lost three games and failed to repeat.

He finally got it right this past year and managed to do it.

NOW, he is in uncharted territory for even himself.

We know the process is the same each year, but now how do you really keep this year's team hungry to win it all?

Fire way...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Different team. There is no defending a championship because it's not the same team. New faces and challenges await this team.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I think sabans big challenge is sustaining beyond the 4th yr or so when he used to hunt other coaching jobs. Hes at the right place to do that because he has mal m. to bounce things off of and he learned from the master of sustaining football programs. But really.. saban probably dosent need any advice hes a pretty smart cookie. But i dont think he can do what he has done and will do in the future anywhere else but U of A.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I tell you, that 2010 was very disappointing. They should have gone back to back. I still can't explain all of it. "Miraculously" we turned it around last year. Well, spilled milk now. Time to work for a 3-peat.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
Agree 100%. The way we played the bowl game and dismantled Mich. St just gave us a glimpse of how talented this team really was.

Which is a great reminder to this year's "very talented" team that talent needs heart, focus and determination.

I can almost guarantee you that CNS learned something in 2010 that produced what we saw in 2012 and hopefully what we'll see in 2013!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think sabans big challenge is sustaining beyond the 4th yr or so when he used to hunt other coaching jobs. Hes at the right place to do that because he has mal m. to bounce things off of and he learned from the master of sustaining football programs. But really.. saban probably dosent need any advice hes a pretty smart cookie. But i dont think he can do what he has done and will do in the future anywhere else but U of A.
Do you mean to tell me that CNS won't actually read this thread??? So much for sending him our ideas through TideFans!:rolleye2:;)

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
I think with the talent we have this coming year, and the favorable schedule, we have one of the best chances ever of anyone pulling off a three-peet. I think it will mostly come down to injuries and how much do the guys want it. Hopefully they can keep their heads on straight and focus.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
The loss to SC in 2010 is still a shock to me. I caught the reply on ESPN classics not too long ago. Garcia played the game of his life! No doubt it was the high water mark of his career.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
how do you really keep this year's team hungry to win it all?
Saban recruits competitive types. And I think he has created a "culture of competition" within the program that keeps the players striving to be their best on a daily basis. Every day they are hungry to improve.

No one's place is totally secure (there are no guaranteed starters) - this helps to eliminate complacency.

This fall there will be a fresh wave of 4 and 5-star talent arriving in Tuscaloosa. These guys will pressure the upperclassmen and the cycle continues.

Playing time will be the reward for the most hungry.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. The way we played the bowl game and dismantled Mich. St just gave us a glimpse of how talented this team really was.

Which is a great reminder to this year's "very talented" team that talent needs heart, focus and determination.

I can almost guarantee you that CNS learned something in 2010 that produced what we saw in 2012 and hopefully what we'll see in 2013!
Yeah thing about the process that its always changing to get better. Other teams' fans poke fun at it but they refuse to look the results. 2010 to me is kinda like that missing ring season, except this was on the players and not the media. There was no team that should have come close but the leadership was too lax. Then the process changed and produced 2011, then 2012, and now that we've gotten what happened in 2010 out of the system, wash, rinse and repeat.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah thing about the process that its always changing to get better. Other teams' fans poke fun at it but they refuse to look the results. 2010 to me is kinda like that missing ring season, except this was on the players and not the media. There was no team that should have come close but the leadership was too lax. Then the process changed and produced 2011, then 2012, and now that we've gotten what happened in 2010 out of the system, wash, rinse and repeat.

I really think you've just described the "genius" of Nick Saban. Nobody can "copy" the process because he's constantly updating what needs to happen. Every game and every year are a little different and he's the best at analyzing, planning and motivating the players to rise to that occasion!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Saban is the best recruiter in the game - with no one even close. He is also the best recruiter of assistant coaches in the game. He knows how to recognize talent (players and coaches). He knows how to develop coaches, and his coaches know how to develop players.

His "process" is awesome, but it is not unique. Many coaches follow a similar program. And even he admits that he isn't the best coach in college football - but he is always looking to hire the best.

Alabama wins because you have the most talent, and you have the most talent because you have the best talent evaluater and recruiter.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The strange thing about the last two seasons is that we really won it two different ways, 2011 was all about defense. Sure McCarron had a big day against LSU but the Defense choked the life out of them and gave McCarron fantastic field position almost every time. 2012 was different, our secondary struggled a bit and at times allowed points in bunches, yet McCarron kept firing the ball deep and kept hitting those passes and brought us back. It's unfortunate they kind of screwed up on the goal line against Texas A&M because that would have been yet another amazing comeback. I really thought they would win it when they got to the five.

Anyway, 2013 is anyone's guess, some good players returning on both sides and some big time winners missing on both sides. I have no idea what to expect.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.