CNS Entering Uncharted Territory Even for Him - The ThreePeat

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The reason that the 2010 team performed, or under-performed, the way that they did was because of three, related things: over-confidence, self-centered thinking, and a lack of followed leadership.

Going undefeated in 2009, with the talent we had coming back, caused many people on the team to think - at least in the back of their minds - that the team was unbeatable. It was not. Many of the upperclassmen were thinking way too much about the NFL Draft in 2011 even before the 2010 season began. Combine this with the extra distraction of the ESPN cameras following them around campus and this led to a tendency for many players to think about themselves and their goals more so than the team and its goals. And, while we did have several veteran players willing to try to lead the team and try to keep everyone's focus in the right place, many of the veteran players that the team looked to weren't as concerned about the team's focus. All of these things combined to result in poor preparation at times, poor chemistry and communication at times, and varying levels of performance from game to game. Add to that one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in the SEC if not the nation and the end result is three losses that quite possibly should have all been wins.

This team, even with the talent coming back, knows that it is not unbeatable. The Texas A&M game last year was a bit of a perfect storm for the Aggies - the timing turned out to be the best opportunity for an upset and they took advantage of that opportunity. Coach Saban and the rest of the coaching staff have certainly learned from the 2010 season how to better help the team to maintain focus after a successful season. There are also quite a few players on this team that remember that 2010 season and will not want to repeat it. This team, both last year and this year following the BCS Championship Game, have shown an attitude of commitment to the team and its goals, noticeably above and beyond their own. We also have a lot of veteran leaders coming back who are both respected by their teammates as well as fully committed to "the process". Because of that I do not think Coach Saban and the staff will have a hard time getting this team to focus through the Spring, Summer, and Fall leading into the season as well as Monday through Friday during the season; this team will be ready to compete on Saturday before Saturday arrives, not just willing to begin competing whenever Saturday finally rolls around. In addition, we also have a schedule that sets up perfectly for a run at an undefeated season. As much as the Texas A&M game set up last year to be the perfect opportunity for an Aggie upset, this year's game sets up perfectly for a nice can of Crimson Tide revenge. Our biggest question mark - and likely our biggest weakness - heading into next season will be our Offensive Line. No one on our schedule, though, looks to have the horses to take advantage of that potential weakness. Texas A&M should be a tough game but our offense should be able to put up points on their defense while our defense should be able to perform better against them than it did this past season and, as I mentioned, this game sets up perfectly for us to go into College Station and come out with a big win. LSU could be a tough game as well but LSU lost a ton, including their entire starting Defensive Line, and looks to match up very poorly - despite having a lot of overall talent - on both sides of the ball against Alabama. No one else on our schedule should get within 14 points of us, even playing our "B" game, outside of possibly Ole Miss.

After the Texas A&M game, there's a very decent chance that we'll be a double digit favorite in every game up until a potential berth in the SEC Championship Game.

Personally, taking everything into account, I think we've got about a 90% chance of winning the SEC West, a 60% chance of winning the SEC Championship, and a 50% chance of winning the BCS Championship - even with the added pressure of a possible "three-peat".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Bama even got close to that they would kick us out of the NCAA.
The NCAA would open an infractions office in Tuscaloosa and start digging. But worry not - they are focused on becoming an ethical organization.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I believe the team will be well prepared through-out the season. Even at the highest level of play, sometimes you need the ball to bounce your way. We had three close games this past year and then things went our way with regard to Oregon and K-State. Just one more wrong bounce and we would be looking back at 2012 very differently.
That being said...Bama will be well prepared and talented...and often the ball "bounces the right way" for the better team.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
The reason that the 2010 team performed, or under-performed, the way that they did was because of three, related things: over-confidence, self-centered thinking, and a lack of followed leadership.

Going undefeated in 2009, with the talent we had coming back, caused many people on the team to think - at least in the back of their minds - that the team was unbeatable. It was not. Many of the upperclassmen were thinking way too much about the NFL Draft in 2011 even before the 2010 season began. Combine this with the extra distraction of the ESPN cameras following them around campus and this led to a tendency for many players to think about themselves and their goals more so than the team and its goals. And, while we did have several veteran players willing to try to lead the team and try to keep everyone's focus in the right place, many of the veteran players that the team looked to weren't as concerned about the team's focus. All of these things combined to result in poor preparation at times, poor chemistry and communication at times, and varying levels of performance from game to game. Add to that one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in the SEC if not the nation and the end result is three losses that quite possibly should have all been wins.
I agree but even with the lack of leadership and focus, I believe we still would have had a shot to win it all if it weren't for Robby Green's suspension and key defensive injuries. Dareus and Upshaw were injured much of the season and weren't 100% until the Michigan St. game. Donta' was not right until the end of the year. Menzie was injured before the 1st game and played but was not 100%. Then Barron's injury in the au game was at the worst possible time and likely cost us that game. I'm not saying we would have beat SC or LSU, but it would have been closer but for key injuries.

The same is true this year. If AJ goes down for more than a game or two, I certainly don't see us winning the SEC, but there aren't many teams who can lose their starting QB and win much . Injuries would hurt us in the secondary and on the OL. We have a lot of talented guys both places just not much experience.

I agree but even with the lack of leadership and focus, I believe we still would have had a shot to win it all if it weren't for Robby Green's suspension and key defensive injuries. Dareus and Upshaw were injured much of the season and weren't 100% until the Michigan St. game. Donta' was not right until the end of the year. Menzie was injured before the 1st game and played but was not 100%. Then Barron's injury in the au game was at the worst possible time and likely cost us that game. I'm not saying we would have beat SC or LSU, but it would have been closer but for key injuries.

The same is true this year. If AJ goes down for more than a game or two, I certainly don't see us winning the SEC, but there aren't many teams who can lose their starting QB and win much . Injuries would hurt us in the secondary and on the OL. We have a lot of talented guys both places just not much experience.
Agreed. We had so much going on that season. The ESPN special was just wrong though it "kinda" helped recruiting. We should have run away with games and being in position to win those games we lost was depressing. Well, I'm over it now!

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
CNS had 3 opportunities to produce a "repeat" (I guess it's ok to use this term now).

Third time was a charm.

But each time, starting with 2004 at LSU and then 2010 at Alabama his team lost three games and failed to repeat.

He finally got it right this past year and managed to do it.

NOW, he is in uncharted territory for even himself.

We know the process is the same each year, but now how do you really keep this year's team hungry to win it all?

Fire way...
For the sake of argument :D I would say that CNS is not in uncharted territory. We won the NC this year, same as in 2011. 2013 should be viewed as nothing more than a repeat. How CNS approached the 2012 season very well should work for the 2013 season. I'm sure he learned some things in 2012 that he will do different in 2013. As always, the chemistry and leadership of the 2013 team will dictate how to approach the task of keeping the team motivated and hungry. (I have not read the whole thread. Hope I didn't step on anyone).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.