Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: BJ Scott, former Bama player, added to Senior Bowl roster

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I have nothing against BJ, but someone asked why he was a late addition. He was a late addition because they always try to shoehorn South Alabama players in. I was happy when he committed to Alabama, I was sad things didn't work out, but it doesn't make South Alabama less of a waste of resources and less of a pollution to the college football landscape.
    Dude, resentful much. Am I missing something? We pull for the greatest football team in college football history I don't know why that must mean we have to blast others so hard?

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Arkytider68 View Post
    Dude, resentful much. Am I missing something? We pull for the greatest football team in college football history I don't know why that must mean we have to blast others so hard?
    I cheer for the greatest college football team in history. Why wouldn't I resent football welfare messing up college football?

Do you think it's coincidence that once Nick Saban showed up at Alabama, after all these years South Alabama suddenly wanted a football team? Perhaps I'm not the one that is resentful...
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    Great to hear. Good luck BJ!
    Classy post!!

BamaNation All-SEC

I cheer for the greatest college football team in history. Why wouldn't I resent football welfare messing up college football?

Do you think it's coincidence that once Nick Saban showed up at Alabama, after all these years South Alabama suddenly wanted a football team? Perhaps I'm not the one that is resentful...
    stop, take a nap, and then come back to your keyboard.

you seem to be a little aggressive with the negativity towards others at times.
    The little kids need to play the game so we have teams to dominate, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    stop, take a nap, and then come back to your keyboard.

you seem to be a little aggressive with the negativity towards others at times.
    The little kids need to play the game so we have teams to dominate, right?
    Who (other than wide bodied South Alabama cheerleaders messing up an otherwise decent spectacle) was I negative towards?

Alabama already has a team to dominate, it's called Auburn. The other three are a drain, on state and federal funding, along with being an outlet for resentful individuals to try to get their own piece of the football landscape. None of the three existed prior to the latest round of scholarship reductions, they combined do not equal Auburn's attendance, and their existence is more along the lines of allowing Arkansas St. have a good record than provide anything of use to SEC programs. So, to reiterate I have a right to be unhappy, both as a college football fan and as a taxpayer in the state of Alabama.

If you want more specifics, there was a conversation here not that long ago in which we were discussing the negative impact of these football welfare programs. Namely, they cloud the post season picture, creating conferences full of nobodies that provide nothing of value short of the occasional homecoming opponent. What would the state of Alabama lose if they only had 2 FBS programs? Nothing of value, and they'd save a fair bit of money...
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-SEC

Who (other than wide bodied South Alabama cheerleaders messing up an otherwise decent spectacle) was I negative towards?

Alabama already has a team to dominate, it's called Auburn. The other three are a drain, on state and federal funding, along with being an outlet for resentful individuals to try to get their own piece of the football landscape. None of the three existed prior to the latest round of scholarship reductions, they combined do not equal Auburn's attendance, and their existence is more along the lines of allowing Arkansas St. have a good record than provide anything of use to SEC programs. So, to reiterate I have a right to be unhappy, both as a college football fan and as a taxpayer in the state of Alabama.

If you want more specifics, there was a conversation here not that long ago in which we were discussing the negative impact of these football welfare programs. Namely, they cloud the post season picture, creating conferences full of nobodies that provide nothing of value short of the occasional homecoming opponent. What would the state of Alabama lose if they only had 2 FBS programs? Nothing of value, and they'd save a fair bit of money...
    OMG...now i'm afraid they'll take our spot in a 4 team playoff.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have nothing against BJ, but someone asked why he was a late addition. He was a late addition because they always try to shoehorn South Alabama players in. I was happy when he committed to Alabama, I was sad things didn't work out, but it doesn't make South Alabama less of a waste of resources and less of a pollution to the college football landscape.
    always? they have only had a football team for 3 or 4 years.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    OMG...now i'm afraid they'll take our spot in a 4 team playoff.
    They could in a 16 team playoff...
    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    always? they have only had a football team for 3 or 4 years.
    And no matter how undeserving they seemed to fit a South Alabama player in there, mascot, and cheerleaders to.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Nick Saban has absolutely nothing to do with the football program at South Alabama. The Board of Trustees at South Alabama approved the addition of a football program in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    Nick Saban has absolutely nothing to do with the football program at South Alabama. The Board of Trustees at South Alabama approved the addition of a football program in 2007.
    On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach.
    On December 6, 2007, the university's (South Alabama) Board of Trustees approved the addition of football to the intercollegiate athletics program.

They existed since 1963 without a football team, but within months of Nick Saban going to Alabama (and the ensuing enthusiasm) they had a football team.

Good for BJ, but do I have to be the one to say it?

The Senior Bowl has been trying to work in Jaguar players since the football team started. It's sad and pathetic really, and I remember seeing their cheerleaders at the Senior Bowl and getting grossed out...

2010 - 0 players
    2011 - 1 player (late replacement for injured player)
    2012 - 0 players
    2013 - 2 players (late replacements for injured players)
    Last edited by BAMA1979; January 24th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.

On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach.
    On December 6, 2007, the university's (South Alabama) Board of Trustees approved the addition of football to the intercollegiate athletics program.

They existed since 1963 without a football team, but within months of Nick Saban going to Alabama (and the ensuing enthusiasm) they had a football team.
    So you think they just decided all of a sudden on December 6, 2007 that they would start a football program? They didn't make the decision the night before.

...and btw, Nick Saban had a 6-6 career record at Alabama as of December 6, 2007 so I'm not sure that I understand your logic.
    Last edited by BAMA1979; January 24th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Also, I have no problem with you not wanting a football program at South Alabama. I've never actually watched or been to a game myself, but I can assure you that the Senior Bowl is not trying to build up the football program at South Alabama or any of the smaller football programs in this state. Putting together those rosters is not that easy, especially when you have to account for last minute injuries.