Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: BJ Scott, former Bama player, added to Senior Bowl roster

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    So you think they just decided all of a sudden on December 6, 2007 that they would start a football program? They didn't make the decision the night before.

...and btw, Nick Saban had a 6-6 career record at Alabama as of December 6, 2007 so I'm not sure that I understand your logic.
    They made the decision that day, I'm pretty sure that was the point of the meeting. I live in Mobile, and didn't hear a word about a South Alabama football until Nick Saban showed up and set the spring game attendance record, and was on his way to a #1 recruiting class.

As to the Senior Bowl roster, may be I get their cheerleaders and their players confused. It's not easy always easy to find Senior Bowl info (I have a few jerseys and jackets) so I'll just concede that point to you. I thought I saw one (not that he did anything) last year, but shows you how much I follow them...

Edit: I got out my 2011 program and they had the South Alabama mascot, cheerleaders, marching band, and a player from South Alabama in the game. They also had a Joey Jones interview in the program. If I wanted to see that crap, I would have gone to one of their games. The whole thing struck me as overkill, especially considering I've never seen Big Al, the million dollar band, or Alabama cheerleaders there (they brought in the Philadelphia cheerleaders before, not that I minded). May be it just skewed my perspective and recollection, because that year was most certainly a South Alabama love fest.

I'm glad BJ is in the Senior Bowl, I'm just tired of people trying to force South Alabama down my throat. I was given South Alabama tickets, and I couldn't even give them away...
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 24th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

South Alabama is as much of nuisance to Alabama as UAB. I wouldn't worry much about what their motivations were and I'm sure they weren't guided towards derailing the Saban recruiting machine. I think they've been wanting to get a football program for a while because it helps with recruiting students to the school...trying to make it less of a commuter campus feel I guess.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    They made the decision that day, I'm pretty sure that was the point of the meeting. I live in Mobile, and didn't hear a word about a South Alabama football until Nick Saban showed up and set the spring game attendance record, and was on his way to a #1 recruiting class.

As to the Senior Bowl roster, may be I get their cheerleaders and their players confused. It's not easy always easy to find Senior Bowl info (I have a few jerseys and jackets) so I'll just concede that point to you. I thought I saw one (not that he did anything) last year, but shows you how much I follow them...
    Right, that was the day it was approved and announced, but it had been in the works for some time. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but the ball was rolling before CNS ever coached a football game at Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    South Alabama is as much of nuisance to Alabama as UAB. I wouldn't worry much about what their motivations were and I'm sure they weren't guided towards derailing the Saban recruiting machine. I think they've been wanting to get a football program for a while because it helps with recruiting students to the school...trying to make it less of a commuter campus feel I guess.
    I think that had a lot to do with it.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I think they've been wanting to get a football program for a while because it helps with recruiting students to the school...trying to make it less of a commuter campus feel I guess.
    It came up for a vote before, and was voted down.

They waste something like ten million dollars each year, now probably more, on their athletic program. I don't care what they want, they are wasting my money.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Edit: I got out my 2011 program and they had the South Alabama mascot, cheerleaders, marching band, and a player from South Alabama in the game. They also had a Joey Jones interview in the program. The whole thing struck me as overkill, especially considering I've never seen Big Al, the million dollar band, or Alabama cheerleaders there (they brought in the Philadelphia cheerleaders before, not that I minded). Ma be it just skewed my perspective and recollection, because that year was most certainly a South Alabama love fest.
    They've had the Million Dollar Band there in the past, as well as the Atlanta cheerleaders, New Orleans cheerleaders, and the Washington Redskins cheerleaders. They've also had the Auburn band before and either Grambling or Southern University. I have no idea how those decisions are made, but I would be in favor of not having Auburn's band back.

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Glad to hear he will get to play at least one more game. Why was he added so late? Did a player get removed and open a spot? or did he petition to play in the game late?
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    They've had the Million Dollar Band there in the past, as well as the Atlanta cheerleaders, New Orleans cheerleaders, and the Washington Redskins cheerleaders. They've also had the Auburn band before and either Grambling or Southern University. I have no idea how those decisions are made, but I would be in favor of not having Auburn's band back.
    You left off the Kilgore Rangerettes.

Last edited by banjeaux; January 24th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

It came up for a vote before, and was voted down.

They waste something like ten million dollars each year, now probably more, on their athletic program. I don't care what they want, they are wasting my money.
    Now I see what the problem is.

...and like I said before, I've never seen South Alabama play a football game and couldn't name three players on the team, but I do know that the Senior Bowl is not trying to prop up their football program. They are trying to get the best players and the ones that NFL coaches and scouts want to see. When they need late replacements they usually go for local players because they are more readily available. I can remember years when players from Alabama and Auburn filled in at the last minute simply because they lived in Mobile County or Baldwin County.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

There's always got to be that guy...
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by banjeaux View Post
    You left off the Kilgore Rangerettes.

That would be fine too.

...and good luck to B. J. Scott this week.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I hope BJ does well and gets an NFL shot.

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

How 'bout these ladies, huh?

There are no former marines, i.e., "Once a marine, always a marine!"

The same is true for the Kilgore Rangerettes, Kilgore Community (was Junior) College, Kilgore, Texas. Many of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are Rangerettes, too.

All the ladies below danced in the Senior Bowl as Rangerettes.
    Last edited by banjeaux; January 24th, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.