SI mock draft has 5 from Bama going in the 1st round

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: ESPN mock draft has 5 from Bama going in the 1st round

ATL bound (hopefully) they need a RB- Turner will be gone. Rodgers is a good back but hes 5'6. need a bruiser back...
as a falcons fan I hope not. Love EL and would be happy to have him on the team but Atl need defensive players much more than RB's

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Barrett is easily my favorite player from this team, and I will root for him no matter where he goes (even the Cowboys, but I'll be rooting against the rest of the team). That said, I don't see anyone taking Barrett in the first round. NFL staffs always seem to fall in love with measurables, and IIRC, Jones will be too physically limited before the draft to give any "surprising" workouts. Some may already be skittish about his foot, and if he doesn't get a shot to prove people he's more athletic than they currently believe, I don't see him sneaking into the first round.

Don't get me wrong, he will be an absolute steal to the team who finally selects him, and can be a pro-bowl caliber guard or center. I just don't think there will be enough "buzz" about him to go higher than mid 2nd round.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
What I do know is that it will be very interesting to see where Barrett goes. The debate between 1st or 2nd round will certainly continue.

I'm not really going along with his foot or other injuries being a huge problem for him. Everyone gets banged up in the NFL - dudes are just too big and too fast not to. What's mentionable is that the guy plays through pain while still performing at a high level.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

In a mock draft from the Senior Bowl he was projected to be the 40th pick. I think he is too good and too smart to not be a first rounder. I like Barrett a lot.:BigA::BigA::BigA:
Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the second round. Some aren't convinced he can play tackle in the NFL, and honestly the intelligence aspect works against players sometimes with GM's and scouts. The foot injury won't help matters, either, even though it's not expected to be a long-term issue.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

I think Williams is going to be a steal in this draft. The way teams are utilizing tight ends now, I think he'll have a long and productive career. I really do.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

ATL bound (hopefully) they need a RB- Turner will be gone. Rodgers is a good back but hes 5'6. need a bruiser back...
Good chance that Atlanta might respect talent from Alabama.;)
Julio paved the way for Atlanta to want more ALABAMA talent.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

as a falcons fan I hope not. Love EL and would be happy to have him on the team but Atl need defensive players much more than RB's
trade up for Milliner?

but the Falcons need D-line help big time.

maybe take Jesse Williams in round 2?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the second round. Some aren't convinced he can play tackle in the NFL, and honestly the intelligence aspect works against players sometimes with GM's and scouts. The foot injury won't help matters, either, even though it's not expected to be a long-term issue.
considering how well he handled Louis Nix in the title game on a badly injured foot I think many GM's might be willing to overlook the issue

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

trade up for Milliner?

but the Falcons need D-line help big time.

maybe take Jesse Williams in round 2?
The falcons are transitioning to a 3-4 so I am hoping Williams. Milliner would be a great add but the corners of the Birds aren't the biggest problem. Sure they need to improve tackling but they are pretty solid in coverage. Atlanta needs to upgrade the front 7 more than anything else IMO.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The falcons are transitioning to a 3-4 so I am hoping Williams. Milliner would be a great add but the corners of the Birds aren't the biggest problem. Sure they need to improve tackling but they are pretty solid in coverage. Atlanta needs to upgrade the front 7 more than anything else IMO.
i agree. they also need guys that can play for 4 quarters and not just half the game. seriously how on Earth do you blow three score leads in consecutive weeks?

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA

I haven't heard anything other than Mike Smith say he's "not ruling anything out" to confirm the Falcons are moving to 3-4.

Agree we don't need corners, especially if we can keep Grimes next year. A pass rusher is our big need, and if we move to 3-4, a NT. Spoon could maybe be that edge rusher if it does go 3-4.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA

You were correct coming into this year but this was the year of the RB in the NFL (Peterson, Foster, Rice, Charles, Lynch, Trent, Doug Martin, etc..). I think some teams will still put an emphasis on the running game to protect their #1 investment (QB) and this will get Eddie in the 1st round.
I don't think the NFL devalues RBs, they devalue RBs in the draft. It's a subtle difference. We may see RBs go back towards the top of the draft with rookie contract caps now though. Before, taking a RB with a top 10 pick was just too much money in a player that probably only has 5-7 great years, vs a QB or OT who could have 10+.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I don't think the NFL devalues RBs, they devalue RBs in the draft. It's a subtle difference. We may see RBs go back towards the top of the draft with rookie contract caps now though. Before, taking a RB with a top 10 pick was just too much money in a player that probably only has 5-7 great years, vs a QB or OT who could have 10+.
You make a good point, but I think that thought is going to change (Trent went at #3). Everybody now knows you have to platoon RB's so they don't take as many hits and this will increase their longevity. I think the bottom line is you can let your QB throw it 40 times a game and take a lot of hits or run it a lot and take a lot of hits but you are taking a big chance of getting hurt. I think you will see the RB/running game make a big comeback.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
See here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1

6 - Milliner
10 - Warmack (a bit lower than some other sites)
22 - Lacy
25 - Flucker
32 - Williams
Just about every board has Dee going as the 5th or 6th, so that doesn't surprise me. Warmack may drop a little bit because very few teams will draft a guard that high, but he should still be taken early. I hate to say it, but Lacy won't go that high. He is a 1st rd talent, but there is almost no call for RB's in the 1st any more. Fluker might go in the 1st, but I think he will be somewhere in the 2nd based off of the mis-perception of his pass blocking skills. He and BJ will both be 2nd round steals unless they both have great combines. I think Williams might be undervalued at 32. We saw what a great combine did for Dontari Poe last year, and everyone agrees that JW is a much safer pick than Poe was. I would expect him to go either to Pittsburgh, Indy, or another team that runs the 3-4 in the 1st.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
2010 Bama could wind up with FOURTEEN first rounders. IMO, there has never been a CFB team that could have beaten that team on 01/01/2011.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Just about every board has Dee going as the 5th or 6th, so that doesn't surprise me. Warmack may drop a little bit because very few teams will draft a guard that high, but he should still be taken early. I hate to say it, but Lacy won't go that high. He is a 1st rd talent, but there is almost no call for RB's in the 1st any more. Fluker might go in the 1st, but I think he will be somewhere in the 2nd based off of the mis-perception of his pass blocking skills. He and BJ will both be 2nd round steals unless they both have great combines. I think Williams might be undervalued at 32. We saw what a great combine did for Dontari Poe last year, and everyone agrees that JW is a much safer pick than Poe was. I would expect him to go either to Pittsburgh, Indy, or another team that runs the 3-4 in the 1st.
3 RB's were drafted in the first round last year (Trent, Doug Martin, David Wilson), and all three were productive as rookies. If Eddie does well at the combine, it's very possible he could be drafted late the 1st round. The last 2 games of the season helped his stock tremendously. There has been a buzz about Eddie since the NCG amongst sportswriters all over the country. I'd put Eddie against any RB in this year's draft when he's 100%.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.