Blog: Amazing! Johnny Football stars in amazing trick shot video

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Hmm ... How many attempts wound up on cutting room floor. Still ...

We all know Aggie Heisman winner Johnny Manziel knows how to handle a football. But watch the quarterback sensation pull off some incredible moves that will leave you stunned.

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: RobotoRegular, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px;">[video]http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2013/01/manziel-dude-perfect-form-quite-a-combo-of-trickery/[/video]​

Last edited:

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Cool to watch, but without really knowing how many takes they ran it?

I mean, Sigourney Weaver made a behind-the-back shot with a basketball in only 6 tries in Aliens 4.

chattabama12

Scout Team
Oct 22, 2008
It's all fun and games until you reference the other teams pass rush. I know he's just having some fun, but when he loses two tackles in the first round I hope he remembers the fun times he had running by choice instead of running fo his life.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Only one of the tackles went pro so he will still have some protection, but we lost to Texas A&M because we played like crap. Sure he had a fantastic game and he is an amazing talent, but Bo Jackson was an amazing talent and we still found a way to beat him. We will be working all winter getting ready for round 2. What's he going to do this winter?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I watched some other videos, and sometimes they use a flat basketball. I'm sure they know a lot of tricks to make these really difficult shots. Having said that, in gym class a couple guys who apparently didn't want to play sports would just attempt half court shots the whole time. Sure, they made them every now and then but it was fairly rare. So, what ever tricks they use, they're good at it...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
thought I'd mention that Joe Nameth was in a B rate movie years ago. I'm thinking Joe was probably in his early 50's at the time. In the final scene of the movie the bad guy is trying to run away and Joe Nameth is supposed to throw a long pass with a football and hit him in the head knocking him out. The pass was about 45 to 50 yards. The movie notes said they had booked several hours for the scene expecting it take that long to make the shot. Nameth hit him in the head on the first and only shot. Cut, Wrap, Outta here. :)

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
that was a great video

I was at Alabama back when Brodie was there...and the January he enrolled early (2001) I watched him throw 50+ yard passes into garbage cans in the indoor practice facility. He was ringing them like they were free throws. This was before he ever took the field in an Alabama jersey...and he looked like a 13 year old kid. But man could he sling a football.

These were actual drills though...working on putting enough touch on a long ball so that it drops over a defender and right in front of the receiver. Still fun to watch

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
thought I'd mention that Joe Nameth was in a B rate movie years ago. I'm thinking Joe was probably in his early 50's at the time. In the final scene of the movie the bad guy is trying to run away and Joe Nameth is supposed to throw a long pass with a football and hit him in the head knocking him out. The pass was about 45 to 50 yards. The movie notes said they had booked several hours for the scene expecting it take that long to make the shot. Nameth hit him in the head on the first and only shot. Cut, Wrap, Outta here. :)
Umm, who's Joe Nameth??? ;)

that was a great video

I was at Alabama back when Brodie was there...and the January he enrolled early (2001) I watched him throw 50+ yard passes into garbage cans in the indoor practice facility. He was ringing them like they were free throws. This was before he ever took the field in an Alabama jersey...and he looked like a 13 year old kid. But man could he sling a football.

These were actual drills though...working on putting enough touch on a long ball so that it drops over a defender and right in front of the receiver. Still fun to watch
One of my favorite QB drills in high school was the "Dummy Cans" drill. You had three sets of five balls on the 40 yard line going in - one in the middle of the field and one at each hash - and five garbage can targets, each "guarded" by a tall tackle dummy standing about 5 yards in front of each can. You had one on each sideline at the 30 yard line, simulating throwing a 10-yard out over a DB. You had one on each sideline at the 15 yard line, simulating a 25-yard fade route. Finally, you had one in the middle of the field on the goal line guarded by two tackle dummies, simulating throwing a 40-yard deep post over two safeties. You started at the right hash mark, throwing one ball at each can, and then did the same thing at the middle of the field and the left hash mark locations. You got one point for hitting the can, two points for getting the ball in the can, and minus one point if you hit the tackle dummy, regardless of whether or not the ball hit or went into the can. It was a tough drill but fun.

The most points I ever got - while the drill was being run by a coach - was 24. I got 11 in the can (including two out of three on the 40-yard post), three that hit the can, and one that hit the dummy. The one that hit the dummy still went in the can, so I was lobbying hard for 27 points and a "clean sheet" but didn't get it. :)

My other favorite QB drill was the "Dummy Window" drill. Same setup to start with but the targets were different. You had five targets down the middle of the field, simulating a quick slant to each side, a 15-yard square-in to each side, and a 25-30 yard crossing route down the middle. The targets were one red tackle dummy flanked by two blue tackle dummies about 2-3 yards in front of the red one. It was a similar scoring system, with one point for a ball between the two blue dummies without hitting them, two points for hitting the red dummy without hitting a blue one, and minus one point for either hitting a blue dummy or missing to the left or right outside the blue dummies.

I actually managed to score 30 points on that one, though just once. :biggrin2: That was the only time I broke 25.

Ironically, one of the best guys on our team at both of those drills was our fullback. He couldn't throw a rope more than 20-25 yards but he could lob the ball with pretty amazing accuracy. We actually had a couple of trick plays where he would start to run the ball to the outside on a sweep and then pass; we used it a lot, for a trick play, on 2nd and short - maybe a dozen times - our senior year. He had three touchdown passes that year - all over 50 yards, catch and run - because the safety(ies) and corner(s) crashed, never thinking he might pass the ball. He should have had four but Corey inexplicably dropped one in the end-zone that hit him right in the hands - and he was wide open. It was like Jalston Fowler taking a sweep and then pulling up and throwing a perfect 35 yard post! :)

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Only one of the tackles went pro so he will still have some protection, but we lost to Texas A&M because we played like crap. Sure he had a fantastic game and he is an amazing talent, but Bo Jackson was an amazing talent and we still found a way to beat him. We will be working all winter getting ready for round 2. What's he going to do this winter?
he caught us with the element of suprise the last game; he wont have that 'element' this upcoming september. With a bye the week before we meet, he better be preparing right now.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
i mean in general. he plays with the enthusiasm of a young kid...regardless of what he's doing.
I think that is why a lot of people enjoy watching him play.
On a side note, the Dude Perfect guys were on TexAgs radio this morning and said the "extra long shot" at the end was Johnny's idea - that they thought it was a waste of time since they didn't think it could be done. They said it took less than 10 tries and, from their description, it sounded more like the third try. Interview is on TexAgs.com.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.