BamaNation All-American

Re: ELY to South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    Where does Alec Morris fit?
    He will battle for #2 this spring.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

My $.02 bets Morris, DelRio, and the kid from Utah battle for the #2 slot and heir apparent while Sims runs and expands his package.

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Hate to see it if true. (I have to admit, I didn't read the article so I don't know how legit it is) I have always liked Ely as he reminded me a lot of McElroy, but I think it will be in his best interest to move on. I get the feeling that Cooper Bateman (if he lives up to his hype) will be groomed from day one to replace McCarron in 2014. Sims will probably be used more as a utility qb in those two years, but I don't think Saban will ever start a qb of Sims style. I will be interested to see how big of a qb battle ensues after AJ leaves.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Sims ran some QB this season out of necessity. Had the other Sims stuck around, Blake would've stayed at RB, particularly with the multitude of injuries that piled up back there as the season went on.

I think when AJ does leave after next season, or if (God forbid), he's injured, Alec Morris will be who you see under center. With Morris & Bateman, I think we're pretty set. They both have the physical tools. And if it were me, Bateman would get the nod just based off of raw talent alone, but the competition that each has faced up until this point (Morris's redshirt season notwithstanding) Morris's competition in Texas was MUCH stiffer than Bateman's in Utah. And Morris just seems more ready at this point. I'm rooting for them both, and I'm not by any stretch, discounting McLeod or Del Rio. We're in good shape.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

This spring is gonna be a hoot. With Sims and AJ being so stable should help the kids get a lot more reps.

BamaNation Second Team BamaRickandLisa's Avatar

1. AJ
    2. Morris
    3. Bateman

BamaNation All-American

A big advantage Morris has over Bateman is the quality of coaching he received in high school.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

with AJ back, Sims back, Morris back, and Bateman, Del Rio, and Mcleod coming in I think we are far from starting over. if anything we'll have better depth. Best of luck to Ely if true.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar

Some are saying "Not so fast" to this, including Ely's HS Coach..

(LINK REMOVED, PREMIUM SITE)

Whether he goes or not, I fully expected Morris to pass him on the depth chart...
    Last edited by Matt0424; January 25th, 2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Sorry

My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Another site also reporting Phillip is staying.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    Some are saying "Not so fast" to this, including Ely's HS Coach..

(LINK REMOVED, PREMIUM SITE)

Whether he goes or not, I fully expected Morris to pass him on the depth chart...
    Possibly another reporter, writer, blogger, etc jumping the gun to say they got the scoop and they were first without any facts.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar

It may come out that he is transferring, who knows... I don't think this is as big deal as Phillip Simms leaving. Now that worked out for everyone involved, but at the time we were in a lot worse shape at QB. AJ has someone behind him who got a year of reps (Morris), and three good QB's coming in (Bateman, McCleod, Del Rio).

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I think the del rio kid is the sleeper in the bunch. He has the football pedigree and could be a quick study at qb. Its no secret not learning the system has held some qbs back in the past. I like bateman too.