Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ELY to South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    Nope. That means we're starting completely over at the QB position this year. Sims doesn't count and never did.
    You just say that because he is behind AJ.

2. Advertisement

Re: ELY to South Florida

No disrespect whatsoever to Greg McElroy, but I wonder if he would ever see the field if he signed at Alabama today. It's looking like we are loaded at QB.
    Discipline.
    Commitment.
    Effort.
    Toughness.
    Pride.
    (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100201/news/100209986)

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DCETP View Post
    No disrespect whatsoever to Greg McElroy, but I wonder if he would ever see the field if he signed at Alabama today. It's looking like we are loaded at QB.
    Even if this is not true, once the battle for the no. 2 spot is settled after spring ball and fall camp I fully expect someone to transfer. You have to remember that the guys we are bringing in are elite prospects and did not come here to carry a clipboard or signal in plays from the sidelines for 4 yrs.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DCETP View Post
    Greg is in the NFL and has started. Other than AJ, all the other QB's would have to work hard to beat him out, but the potential of some is impressive.

Good luck to him in the rest of his career. I think we'll be fine at QB.
    Last edited by Crimson1967; January 25th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

I think since Nussmeier has taken over as OC we have went away from the ultra-conservative approach. With 2010 and 2012's defense having to reload and get acquainted with new faces we had to have an offense that was more aggressive. Ely did fit the Greg McElroy mold but that was what McElwain wanted and who he recruited. Nuss wants a quarterback who can throw the ball away when he gets in trouble but also can make all the appropriate throws necessary to win a tight or close game. JMO.

So we just don't know if Ely is transferring or not? That's what I get from this He said/She said. Either one reporter jumped the gun and got the facts wrong, or they reported earlier than Camp Ely wanted them to report.

So... we know that we don't really KNOW anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderollin32 View Post
    I think since Nussmeier has taken over as OC we have went away from the ultra-conservative approach. With 2010 and 2012's defense having to reload and get acquainted with new faces we had to have an offense that was more aggressive. Ely did fit the Greg McElroy mold but that was what McElwain wanted and who he recruited. Nuss wants a quarterback who can throw the ball away when he gets in trouble but also can make all the appropriate throws necessary to win a tight or close game. JMO.
    To be technical, GMac was already on campus when CJM arrived. He saw something in him and wanted to see what he could do with him. I'm not going into detail, but CNS thought the time would be better spent on some of the younger ones, like Star Jackson. CJM persisted and the results are history...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

McElwain's offensive philosophy was very safe. I think we saw the difference in approach with McCarron in the last two years. I really thought that McCarron was going to end up being a more physically gifted McElroy after the 2011 season. A lot of it was because he didn't get a chance to demonstrate the extent of his arm talent. When the offense is mostly hitch routes, crossing patterns, screens, and the occasional deep post/corner route...you're not going to look special. Efficient, yes, but not special.

We did a much better job of attacking with slants and McCarron showed he could put it in the window to his receiver. We attacked the 20+ area much better which showed McCarron has the arm to burn teams. We threw a bit more in the red zone to loosen defenses and get the easy scores to be had down there. He's developed with experience but with McElwain he'd probably be having another season like 2009-2011 at the QB position. 15-20 TDs, 2500 yards, and more FGs in scoring range.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    To be technical, GMac was already on campus when CJM arrived. He saw something in him and wanted to see what he could do with him. I'm not going into detail, but CNS thought the time would be better spent on some of the younger ones, like Star Jackson. CJM persisted and the results are history...
    Bill Curry said Jackson was the best QB on our roster.

Its a tough position to be in. We try to sign a top QB every year but if you don't win the job the first time its open, you're pretty much stuck at backup the rest of your career.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Even if this is not true, once the battle for the no. 2 spot is settled after spring ball and fall camp I fully expect someone to transfer. You have to remember that the guys we are bringing in are elite prospects and did not come here to carry a clipboard or signal in plays from the sidelines for 4 yrs.
    This^^^.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

USF is hurting really bad for a QB this was Daniels last year. If its true about Ely, we will do it the Right way like Sims did. I don't know how we can but wish him luck.

I don't think I have EVER seen a Bama team so loaded at QB it is really something. Also, last year was the first time I did not hear people wanting the back up in, AJ just played so crisp all year long. Without a couple of mistakes in ONE game he would have been your Heisman winner.

Finally, Blake Sims strikes me as such a team guy, if they told him he was the long snapper he would do it. I think you are going to see a lot of him & Morris this year. Bateman has a lot of learning to do first, nd DelRio is so committed to learning from our coaches that he turned down 3 scholarship offers.
    These are the kind of men attracted to Alabama. RTR!

The Greg McElroy Mold: 222-313, 2987 yards. 71%. 20 TDs, 5 interceptions, QB rating of 169.
    We'd take that every year.

The AJ Mold: 211-314, 2933 yards, 67%, 30 TDs, 3 interceptions, QB rating of 175.3.
    We'd take that every year, too.

The only significant difference is the number of touchdowns. Is that because of AJ's superior gifts or his superior talent at receiver? At its core, the offense remains the same. Greg saw the field better than AJ; AJ is more accurate on the longer throws.

Regardless, if any of our young quarterbacks sniffs the performance of either of them, we should be ecstatic.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; January 26th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.