Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ELY to South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Bill Curry said Jackson was the best QB on our roster.

Its a tough position to be in. We try to sign a top QB every year but if you don't win the job the first time its open, you're pretty much stuck at backup the rest of your career.
    It goes to show that nobody is perfect...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    The Greg McElroy Mold: 222-313, 2993 yards. 71%. 20 TDs, 5 interceptions, QB rating of 169.
    We'd take that every year.

The AJ Mold: 211-314, 2933 yards, 67%, 30 TDs, 3 interceptions, QB rating of 175.3.
    We'd take that every year, too.

The only significant difference is the number of touchdowns. Is that because of AJ's superior gifts or his superior talent at receiver? At its core, the offense remains the same. Greg saw the field better than AJ; AJ is more accurate on the longer throws.

Regardless, if any of our young quarterbacks sniffs the performance of either of them, we should be ecstatic.
    I think the big difference between them is AJ's quick release and level of confidence we haven't seen since Joe Namath.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

If he transfers I wish him well. In general terms, I would imagine players who transfer from Bama after going through Bama's process are considered easy to coach. Especially when they transfer because of a lack of playing time rather than a discipline issue.

Post Thanks / Like

A mod on another site asked Ely last night if he were going to transfer and he answered "no."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's in MY best interest he and Morris handle the "full play book" backup duties this year so the younguns can red-shirt.
    (so much for me)

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

ELY to South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I think the big difference between them is AJ's quick release and level of confidence we haven't seen since Joe Namath.
    G Mac is/was a very confident QB and man. In fact, I think G Mac is actually a little more mature while AJ is a tad more goofy. I love them both, but to say AJ is more confident is not a fair assessment.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

G-Mac was groomed for a career in Public Relations while AJ is destined for a career as AJ.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    The Greg McElroy Mold: 222-313, 2987 yards. 71%. 20 TDs, 5 interceptions, QB rating of 169.
    We'd take that every year.

The AJ Mold: 211-314, 2933 yards, 67%, 30 TDs, 3 interceptions, QB rating of 175.3.
    We'd take that every year, too.

The only significant difference is the number of touchdowns. Is that because of AJ's superior gifts or his superior talent at receiver? At its core, the offense remains the same. Greg saw the field better than AJ; AJ is more accurate on the longer throws.

Regardless, if any of our young quarterbacks sniffs the performance of either of them, we should be ecstatic.
    We didn't have a 1000 yard rusher in 2010. In fact I'd argue the play-calling and McElroy's ability were a factor in keeping the run game hampered. We couldn't consistently stretch teams vertically and our dinged up backs were as good at making guys miss at the LOS.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    We didn't have a 1000 yard rusher in 2010. In fact I'd argue the play-calling and McElroy's ability were a factor in keeping the run game hampered. We couldn't consistently stretch teams vertically and our dinged up backs were as good at making guys miss at the LOS.
    Interesting point. Our rushing fell off by more than 600 yards in 2010, regained half of it in 2011 and climbed back over 3K this past season. That, to me, says more about an improving offensive line (we had trouble running against all our major opponents in 2010) than it does about QB play.

Link
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; January 26th, 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Friends of mine who attended practice were disappointed in the number of times Greg passed up open deep receivers and took the dump-off. I don't think anyone would try to claim that Greg's arm is as strong as AJ's. It was just that Greg knew what he should and should not attempt. In somewhat disagreement with one statement somewhere above, I think AJ's field vision last season didn't approach Greg's, but I think that, by the end of this season, AJ's field vision and awareness at least equaled Greg's...

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Sooooo . . . Is the Ely transfer a rumor? If so, will someone please fix the thread title to reflect rumor/possiblilty status?

Please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post
    Sooooo . . . Is the Ely transfer a rumor? If so, will someone please fix the thread title to reflect rumor/possiblilty status?

Please.
    How about I add a question mark?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post

Please.
    One problem is that a lot of mainstream sports media outlets are reporting it, and we know how they nailed the dead GF story...