Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: ELY to South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Friends of mine who attended practice were disappointed in the number of times Greg passed up open deep receivers and took the dump-off. I don't think anyone would try to claim that Greg's arm is as strong as AJ's. It was just that Greg knew what he should and should not attempt. In somewhat disagreement with one statement somewhere above, I think AJ's field vision last season didn't approach Greg's, but I think that, by the end of this season, AJ's field vision and awareness at least equaled Greg's...
    Earle, not an expert opinion, but I agree that AJ's vision is improving. Wouldn't rank it with Greg's yet, but that cuts both ways. Mac took a bunch of sacks because he was checking down behind a developing line. AJ, with a far better line in front of him, remains far more likely to chuck the ball over the bench.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide13 View Post
    G Mac is/was a very confident QB and man. In fact, I think G Mac is actually a little more mature while AJ is a tad more goofy. I love them both, but to say AJ is more confident is not a fair assessment.
    Greg always had an issue with holding the ball too long. AJ gets it out quickly while not turning it over. He has confidence in his decision making and his arm. I was not at all referring in his confidence as a man btw.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

ELY to South Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Greg always had an issue with holding the ball too long. AJ gets it out quickly while not turning it over. He has confidence in his decision making and his arm. I was not at all referring in his confidence as a man btw.
    Misunderstood by me. I got to represent for the Mac Daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    McElwain's offensive philosophy was very safe. I think we saw the difference in approach with McCarron in the last two years. I really thought that McCarron was going to end up being a more physically gifted McElroy after the 2011 season. A lot of it was because he didn't get a chance to demonstrate the extent of his arm talent. When the offense is mostly hitch routes, crossing patterns, screens, and the occasional deep post/corner route...you're not going to look special. Efficient, yes, but not special.

We did a much better job of attacking with slants and McCarron showed he could put it in the window to his receiver. We attacked the 20+ area much better which showed McCarron has the arm to burn teams. We threw a bit more in the red zone to loosen defenses and get the easy scores to be had down there. He's developed with experience but with McElwain he'd probably be having another season like 2009-2011 at the QB position. 15-20 TDs, 2500 yards, and more FGs in scoring range.
    This has nothing to do with CMac and CNuss' differences. CNS philosophy is to grind is out. Wear the D down and take the explosive play when it is there. Both OC's did that. The difference is the tools in the tollbox were different.

Two years ago we had a new starting qb with #3 at RB. (people seem to forget the AJ's separated shoulder in the ARK game as well). They threw the ball much more in the BCS NCG.

This year, we have an experienced qb with some banged up RBs much of the year, plus, probably a better WR group.

All in all, every year the offense is very balanced. We will pound the ball. Whoever the OC is will use the tools in the toolbox to maximize pts and inflict as much damage on the defense as possible. But it is all about the personnel that given year.
    Roll Tide

FB | REC Moderator

Don't have the slightest clue as to what the kid is thinking or what he intends to do, but in any event it's clear that he will never play in Tuscaloosa. McCarron still has a year left, Sims has two, he has already been passed over by Morris, and we've got three more quarterbacks on the way in this recruiting class. He seems like a fine young man, but that is no recipe for playing time.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

What if long term he's wanting to be a coach rather than an NFL third stringer?
    A few championship rings, one year GA under Nuss/CNS, then a year's paid employment in the athletic department as an off-the-field assistant would be a great resume for starters.

I could see that.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    What if long term he's wanting to be a coach rather than an NFL third stringer?
    Interesting.

That would certainly be a great way to go about it if he does indeed have coaching aspirations. And that's really the only logical reason I can think of for him to stay.

You know, I love to see our players move on to excel in the NFL, but it would be just as great to see some of them rise to successful coaching careers.
    "Let them hate us, as long as they fear us." --Caligula

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ELY to South Florida?

He's entering his RS Sophomore year. He may very well want to stay to get a degree. Don't see how he could be that far away from an undergrad degree.

If his parents can afford tuition, he could be off scholarship, which wouldn't even matter in the 85 limit discussion.

If he does decide to transfer, I hope he does so sooner rather than later. Phillip Simms made the mistake of waiting until after Spring practice to leave, and he had to battle for the starting job for awhile. For Ely's sake, a transfer needs to happen soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I think had Mcelwain stayed Ely wouldn't even be considering leaving. Nuss however seems determined to have QB's who are more game changers and less game managers. The Nuss QB, in my opinion has to be a very good passer with a strong arm that can make the deep throw.
    That's where Ely lacks just a bit and that's why I think he may be headed for a better opportunity for himself.
    I don't think he could play QB in the Nuss offensive system.
    sip

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: ELY to South Florida?

It's the same story every year some QB is going to see the hand writing on the wall and look to transfer. This time next year or the next it will be Morris, McLeod, or Bateman we re talking about. That is the nature of that position at a major program.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I say it will be A.J., Morris, and Bateman next year regardless of Ely staying or not so he kinda sees the writing on the wall. Only reason Bateman wouldn't play over him would be due to him redshirting, otherwise he would probably even be below Sims as well. Kid has to do what he has to do. Wish him luck and hope to see him starting at USF in the future. As bad as I hate to say it, he will have a better chance to play at USF and be closer to home. Like Simms he has his rings now so all he needs is playing time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

I would like to go to South Florida myself. I'd even take my wife.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JPT4Bama View Post
    I would like to go to South Florida myself. I'd even take my wife.
    Notre Dame players would never transfer to South Florida and hope they never have to even visit the area again.