ELY to South Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Re: ELY to South Florida

with AJ back, Sims back, Morris back, and Bateman, Del Rio, and Mcleod coming in I think we are far from starting over. if anything we'll have better depth. Best of luck to Ely if true.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Some are saying "Not so fast" to this, including Ely's HS Coach..

(LINK REMOVED, PREMIUM SITE)

Whether he goes or not, I fully expected Morris to pass him on the depth chart...

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Some are saying "Not so fast" to this, including Ely's HS Coach..

(LINK REMOVED, PREMIUM SITE)

Whether he goes or not, I fully expected Morris to pass him on the depth chart...
Possibly another reporter, writer, blogger, etc jumping the gun to say they got the scoop and they were first without any facts.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

It may come out that he is transferring, who knows... I don't think this is as big deal as Phillip Simms leaving. Now that worked out for everyone involved, but at the time we were in a lot worse shape at QB. AJ has someone behind him who got a year of reps (Morris), and three good QB's coming in (Bateman, McCleod, Del Rio).

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

I think the del rio kid is the sleeper in the bunch. He has the football pedigree and could be a quick study at qb. Its no secret not learning the system has held some qbs back in the past. I like bateman too.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012

No disrespect whatsoever to Greg McElroy, but I wonder if he would ever see the field if he signed at Alabama today. It's looking like we are loaded at QB.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

No disrespect whatsoever to Greg McElroy, but I wonder if he would ever see the field if he signed at Alabama today. It's looking like we are loaded at QB.
Even if this is not true, once the battle for the no. 2 spot is settled after spring ball and fall camp I fully expect someone to transfer. You have to remember that the guys we are bringing in are elite prospects and did not come here to carry a clipboard or signal in plays from the sidelines for 4 yrs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Greg is in the NFL and has started. Other than AJ, all the other QB's would have to work hard to beat him out, but the potential of some is impressive.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Good luck to him in the rest of his career. I think we'll be fine at QB.

Last edited:

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

I think since Nussmeier has taken over as OC we have went away from the ultra-conservative approach. With 2010 and 2012's defense having to reload and get acquainted with new faces we had to have an offense that was more aggressive. Ely did fit the Greg McElroy mold but that was what McElwain wanted and who he recruited. Nuss wants a quarterback who can throw the ball away when he gets in trouble but also can make all the appropriate throws necessary to win a tight or close game. JMO.

ganu76

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 24, 2010

So we just don't know if Ely is transferring or not? That's what I get from this He said/She said. Either one reporter jumped the gun and got the facts wrong, or they reported earlier than Camp Ely wanted them to report.

So... we know that we don't really KNOW anything.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think since Nussmeier has taken over as OC we have went away from the ultra-conservative approach. With 2010 and 2012's defense having to reload and get acquainted with new faces we had to have an offense that was more aggressive. Ely did fit the Greg McElroy mold but that was what McElwain wanted and who he recruited. Nuss wants a quarterback who can throw the ball away when he gets in trouble but also can make all the appropriate throws necessary to win a tight or close game. JMO.
To be technical, GMac was already on campus when CJM arrived. He saw something in him and wanted to see what he could do with him. I'm not going into detail, but CNS thought the time would be better spent on some of the younger ones, like Star Jackson. CJM persisted and the results are history...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

McElwain's offensive philosophy was very safe. I think we saw the difference in approach with McCarron in the last two years. I really thought that McCarron was going to end up being a more physically gifted McElroy after the 2011 season. A lot of it was because he didn't get a chance to demonstrate the extent of his arm talent. When the offense is mostly hitch routes, crossing patterns, screens, and the occasional deep post/corner route...you're not going to look special. Efficient, yes, but not special.

We did a much better job of attacking with slants and McCarron showed he could put it in the window to his receiver. We attacked the 20+ area much better which showed McCarron has the arm to burn teams. We threw a bit more in the red zone to loosen defenses and get the easy scores to be had down there. He's developed with experience but with McElwain he'd probably be having another season like 2009-2011 at the QB position. 15-20 TDs, 2500 yards, and more FGs in scoring range.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

To be technical, GMac was already on campus when CJM arrived. He saw something in him and wanted to see what he could do with him. I'm not going into detail, but CNS thought the time would be better spent on some of the younger ones, like Star Jackson. CJM persisted and the results are history...
Bill Curry said Jackson was the best QB on our roster. ;)

Its a tough position to be in. We try to sign a top QB every year but if you don't win the job the first time its open, you're pretty much stuck at backup the rest of your career.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Even if this is not true, once the battle for the no. 2 spot is settled after spring ball and fall camp I fully expect someone to transfer. You have to remember that the guys we are bringing in are elite prospects and did not come here to carry a clipboard or signal in plays from the sidelines for 4 yrs.
This^^^.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

USF is hurting really bad for a QB this was Daniels last year. If its true about Ely, we will do it the Right way like Sims did. I don't know how we can but wish him luck.

I don't think I have EVER seen a Bama team so loaded at QB it is really something. Also, last year was the first time I did not hear people wanting the back up in, AJ just played so crisp all year long. Without a couple of mistakes in ONE game he would have been your Heisman winner.

Finally, Blake Sims strikes me as such a team guy, if they told him he was the long snapper he would do it. I think you are going to see a lot of him & Morris this year. Bateman has a lot of learning to do first, nd DelRio is so committed to learning from our coaches that he turned down 3 scholarship offers.
These are the kind of men attracted to Alabama. RTR!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

The Greg McElroy Mold: 222-313, 2987 yards. 71%. 20 TDs, 5 interceptions, QB rating of 169.
We'd take that every year.

The AJ Mold: 211-314, 2933 yards, 67%, 30 TDs, 3 interceptions, QB rating of 175.3.
We'd take that every year, too.

The only significant difference is the number of touchdowns. Is that because of AJ's superior gifts or his superior talent at receiver? At its core, the offense remains the same. Greg saw the field better than AJ; AJ is more accurate on the longer throws.

Regardless, if any of our young quarterbacks sniffs the performance of either of them, we should be ecstatic.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Bill Curry said Jackson was the best QB on our roster. ;)

Its a tough position to be in. We try to sign a top QB every year but if you don't win the job the first time its open, you're pretty much stuck at backup the rest of your career.
It goes to show that nobody is perfect... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.