The landscape of NCAA compliance in an article:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Shabazz Muhammad's backpack was in question

Effectively the interest in his designer backpack was racist: "he's a black basketball player in college, he came from the hood and can't possibly afford that designer backpack!" How about when Steve Kerr in an NBA game questioned how Manziel could afford courtside NBA tickets. How could he possibly afford this seat?!

I guess the new rule for NCAA athletes is dress in burlap sack and not enjoy anything their parent's financial situation affords them. Just think to our team, guys like Greg McElroy and Barrett Jones could afford to dress any way they wanted or do things that other people simply couldn't because their parents were successful. Remember the minor message board interest in how McElroy could afford to take the whole OL to BWWs on his dime back in 2010?

I know most athletes aren't as well off as these guys but the constant nitpicking of athlete's spending or activities has to stop...at least until you get some background on what situation he comes from.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It used to be cars, now it's back packs. The NCAA needs to spend its time and resources tracking majors violations and following the money.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's a $900 backpack, owned by a player who has already had eligibility issues. Basketball is far worse than football in the violation department. AAU coaches, high school uniform deals, etc. all happen in regards to basketball. This one seems ok.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I just think it's ridiculous for Forde to say, "I'm not saying there's something fishy about Muhammad's designer backpack", when thats exactly what he's doing. You don't think there's something fishy, then why you bother looking up the price and bringing it up in the article?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.