Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team gtowntide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: In honor of Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    "Numb" is a good description...
    This was my feeling. I always equated him with my dad. Both had a big impact on my life.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember they announced it over the intercom at my elementary school shortly before we were to board the school bus home... I distinctly remember seeing all my fellow classmates crying as we walked down the hall. I cried all the way home on the school bus...

BamaNation Second Team
    central illinois, the place where football goes to die
    Post Thanks / Like

Thirty years ago, Coach Bryant
    Sixteen years ago, my dear mother.
    Bad date all around

BamaNation First Team BamaFanInTally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a student at UA when Coach Bryant passed. I remember being stunned and the whole campus was in utter disbelief. Two years and two days later my father passed. Tough times for sure.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Wow! Time sure does fly by.

I had just walked into my house from work, the telephone was ringing. My mother had called from Alabama to tell me that Coach Bryant had just died. I also was shocked and stunned. I turned on the TV to see and hear all that I could about Coach Bryant. As I recall Mickey Herskowitz was a reporter for the Houston Post at that time and was interviewed regarding Coach Bryant on one of the local Houston TV new stations. Herskowitz had followed Coach Bryant's career especially after his becoming A & M coach. If I remember correctly, he was at Junction, TX for the baptism or infusion of A & M players into the Coach Bryant philosophy.

While growing up he was like a father figure who could walk on water.

I always watched the 4:00 p.m. Sunday "Bear" Bryant Show. Periodically, I would watch the Shug Jordan Show at 5:00 p.m. especially after a loss to Alabama. We all had Coke and Golden Flake potato chips, sometimes while watching the replays of Bama game. That was a Great Pair!

I would have given anything if I had had the ability, potential to play for that Man's Man. Yep! I would have run through brick walls to please the Greatest Coach in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970"s.

Yep! Some of us are old codgers!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by skipster63 View Post
    http://youtu.be/n1PXqBzdHfQ
    Worth watching this in tribute.
    If you don't mind Skip, this video needs to be embedded.....R.I.P. to an amazing coach and an even more amazing man.

BamaNation First Team aerospace_ray's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Numb and shock I remember. I was finishing basketball and about to get ready for my first attempt at varsity football. It took weeks for me to quit thinking about him every time I looked at the football field house. I still think about CB when I go back home to visit my parents. My old bedroom has newspapers, magazines from that date/time. Sometimes I want to put them in a drawer, but deep down I am glad my sons grow up getting to look through them when they visit and ask me questions about him. RTR
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)

Post Thanks / Like

Such a sad day when he died

Those next few days were filled with emotion. I have read of the out pouring of emotions by southerners when Robert E. Lee died. In a certain way the losses were similar.
    Bama 867-314-44 72.6% On the field

2012 SEC CHAMPIONS
    BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    This was my feeling. I always equated him with my dad. Both had a big impact on my life.
    I know what you mean. My dad died when I was a freshman, on February 28, 1958, but he died knowing that Coach Bryant was coming back and one of the last statements he made to my mom was that Alabama was going to be all right, because Coach Bryant was coming home. There was more than a passing resemblance between them. They were both massive men, Coach Bryant maybe an inch or so taller. Both were recruited for Bama by Coach Crisp. My dad turned down the offer, although it was very generous and legal at the time. Dad's first wife died young and very unexpectedly, leaving him with a young son, my older half-brother. Dad had one year of HS to finish, which he could have done at Tuscaloosa HS, with child care for my brother. He declined the offer, after weighing the alternatives. I guess if he had taken, it I wouldn't be writing this now. My dad would have been several years ahead of Coach Bryant. What amazes me is that, when I matriculated, in the mid 50s, Coach Crisp was still employed and was managing the campus facilities, including the gym at Northington Campus, where I spent many hours. Coach Bryant took care of him to the end of his life...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

I loved Coach Bryant . I had worked my crew in a cold drizzle that day and had a two hour drive home from the jobsite . I arived home wet and sick and my wife met me at the door with the news . The last I heard , he was in the hospital and doing ok . I sat on the floor and cried . I'll never forget him to my dying day . Roll Tide Coach . You will always be my hero !

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonNan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

I was in Nashville when I heard the news about Coach Bryant. I'd gone up there for an ice skating lesson, and was about to leave for the trip back to Birmingham. I called a friend who just happened to be a Bama fan, although she lived in Nashville. She asked me if I'd heard about the "Bear". I said, "No" what happened? She told me. I cried all the way home to Birmingham.

I had met him - sorta -at the bookstore, where I was working at the time, in the book department. He came to autograph the book he'd written "Bear". I got my autographed copy and of course still have it.

Still miss you "Bear".
    "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping he will eat him last"

Winston Churchill

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Bama fans who grew up with Coach Bryant revered him. I was in junior college playing baseball. A teammate came over to me and said Coach Bryant died, and it was like a hammer. Don't know if he was the best football coach ever; maybe; probably; but the thing you can't explain about Coach Bryant makes him different and unique from any other coach. He was the toughest and the classiest; an uncommon union of attributes that made him stand out from all the rest.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by illinitide View Post
    Thirty years ago, Coach Bryant
    Sixteen years ago, my dear mother.
    Bad date all around
    feel for ya bro. my dad died 15 years ago.
    There are two rules in life:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.