Is A&M in 2013 the Arky of 2012?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Our RT Jake Matthews is moving to LT, our C will be his brother Mike (Sophomore), one of our Guards Cedric Ogbuehi will be sliding over to RT and we have about 8 quality players that can plug his spot at Guard. As far as our WR's are concerned, we'll be fine. We have solid depth at that spot and some incredible recruits coming in.

Our DLine was decimated because of graduations and Damontre leaving a year early, but that was supposed to be our weak spot last year. Overall, our D wasn't that great last year and won't be for at least 1-2 more seasons. Basically, Mark Snyder our DC did an incredible job with the talent he was given, I hope he can do it again. With that being said, I think the only games we really have to worry about are Bama and L$U, maybe Ole Miss.
That is a LOT of shifting for an OL in the SEC. It can be a disaster. Also, RT and LT are very different. Just ask Mike Johnson from the Bama 08 squad. The green DL should also be cause of concern. I'm not saying they won't be solid, but untested fronts on both sides of the ball would worry me if they had to play the defending champs in the 2nd ball game. I'm not sure they'll be catching us, or we'll be catching them at a bad time. Usually, AL is pretty solid early in the year. All I know is I would rather have less "question marks" on my squad than more.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
They won't be as bad as Arky was this year, but they won't win the west either. aTm is a fad that's passing. They got hot and beat us when they shouldn't have. They were not the best team that night but somehow won. They will lose 4 or more games next season because everyone will catch up with what they are doing. Bama is only getting better. Plus, they are enemy #1 for

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
They were the best team on the field for the first 15 minutes.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Some people here are wearing WAY too Crimson of glasses..

They are losing too much on the o-line.
We are losing more, yet we seem to think we're fine. I don't see replacing two linemen being an overly large problem...

That is a LOT of shifting for an OL in the SEC. It can be a disaster. Also, RT and LT are very different
Matthews is a STUD. He comes from great pedigree (Bruce Matthews), and shouldn't have problems transitioning. Barrett did it TWICE, and as good as he is OVERALL he probably isn't physically as gifted as Matthews.

The aTm Offense will be just fine...the only concern I see is how their defense gels. Replacing Damontre Moore will be tough, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

This aTm isn't in the same realm as Arkansas... Even before the Patrino was gone, people started to see the writing on the wall. That team wasn't built to be a top 10, 20, or anything kinda team. They had lost their top five receivers, the top rusher off oc ACL surgery, and a defense that was AWFUL the previous year...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There is something else that CANNOT BE MEASURED - hunger. If they have it, they will be tough to beat. But if they spend the next eight months listening to ESPN talk about how good they are rather than hitting the weights, watching film, and learning what they have to do, they will be a four or five-loss team next year.

You must understand (and aTm has not yet had this wake-up call that most SEC teams get) - the difference between national champions and the lower part of the Western division is THREE PLAYS. That's it - three plays separate champs from chumps. We went through a period back about 15 years ago where the team that won the West one year finished last in the division the very next year (95 Arkansas, 96 Alabama, 97 Auburn, 99 Alabama). The fall is so fast you can't even look around and grab onto anything.

Furthermore......Nick Saban (and Alabama both) have a knack not only for winning but destroying programs in the process. Look at the SEC since CNS came here. Auburn is on their third coach, Tennessee their fourth, and only Les Miles and Steve Spurrier remain from the day Saban left Miami in 2007.

I have no beef with aTm, but don't be totally surprised if they beat us and then lose to somebody they have no business losing to. Don't be surprised if they lose to us (whether close or not) and recover, either. And don't be surprised if they lose to us and implode. I've seen all of those things happen in my years watching the SEC. This is NOT the Big XII, where you get a breather next week - even though as I noted aTm's schedule is favorable. (So too is ours).

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
That is a LOT of shifting for an OL in the SEC. It can be a disaster. Also, RT and LT are very different. Just ask Mike Johnson from the Bama 08 squad. The green DL should also be cause of concern. I'm not saying they won't be solid, but untested fronts on both sides of the ball would worry me if they had to play the defending champs in the 2nd ball game. I'm not sure they'll be catching us, or we'll be catching them at a bad time. Usually, AL is pretty solid early in the year. All I know is I would rather have less "question marks" on my squad than more.
I don't have to ask Mike Johnson, I can just ask Bruce Matthews. He and his family live 4 houses down from me. Bruce is the OLine coach for the Titans, I'm pretty sure that he's coached all of his sons since they were kids at all OL positions. Also, ALL of our OLine were recruited by Mike Sherman. He is now the OC for the Dolphins and specialized in OL coaching throughout his college coaching career. I've known the Matthews family for well over 20 years and am sure he and his kids are more than ready to move positions at the drop of a hat. Last year when Sumlin wanted to RS Mike, Bruce said no. Sumlin wasn't exactly sure how to take it, but Bruce then reminded Sumlin that A&M would need a deep snapper. Even though Mike never even attempted it prior to that conversation, he was our deep snapper last year. As a matter of fact, Bruce started showing Mike how to deep snap within 24 hours of that conversation.

Our D is what concerned me last year and what concerns me next year. Our offense will be much better than what it was for a few reasons, namely because of all of the RB's that become eligible. Tra Carson (transfer from Oregon) and Brandon Williams (transfer from Oklahoma) combined with Trey Williams and Ben Malena.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
How many months does CNS have to get ready for Johnny Football? 'Nuff said. Not that he needs it. He has the answer. We were just a tired team this year when we played them. Not the case next year. And if JF keeps screwing around like he is the term sophomore jinx won't even come into play; he may never even see the field. What's the worst a Heisman winner has ever done the following year? We may be about to find out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
How many months does CNS have to get ready for Johnny Football? 'Nuff said. Not that he needs it. He has the answer. We were just a tired team this year when we played them. Not the case next year. And if JF keeps screwing around like he is the term sophomore jinx won't even come into play; he may never even see the field. What's the worst a Heisman winner has ever done the following year? We may be about to find out.

Although I enjoy your sentiment, and I agree we should beat aTm with a whole summer to prepare...the question at hand isn't who will win, Alabama or aTm, it's "Will aTm be next year's Arkansas 2012". HUGE difference.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Although I enjoy your sentiment, and I agree we should beat aTm with a whole summer to prepare...the question at hand isn't who will win, Alabama or aTm, it's "Will aTm be next year's Arkansas 2012". HUGE difference.
Guess I was taking for granted that aTm shouldn't even be close to as bad as Arkansas 2012, especially overall talent-wise. They have the chance to be excellent. Their problems may come in, as someone suggested, drinking the Koolaid and Johnny Football really getting out of control. But no way should they have the deficiencies as Arkansas, IMO, even if Petrino hadn't screwed up like he did.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I don't have to ask Mike Johnson, I can just ask Bruce Matthews. He and his family live 4 houses down from me. Bruce is the OLine coach for the Titans, I'm pretty sure that he's coached all of his sons since they were kids at all OL positions. Also, ALL of our OLine were recruited by Mike Sherman. He is now the OC for the Dolphins and specialized in OL coaching throughout his college coaching career. I've known the Matthews family for well over 20 years and am sure he and his kids are more than ready to move positions at the drop of a hat. Last year when Sumlin wanted to RS Mike, Bruce said no. Sumlin wasn't exactly sure how to take it, but Bruce then reminded Sumlin that A&M would need a deep snapper. Even though Mike never even attempted it prior to that conversation, he was our deep snapper last year. As a matter of fact, Bruce started showing Mike how to deep snap within 24 hours of that conversation.

Our D is what concerned me last year and what concerns me next year. Our offense will be much better than what it was for a few reasons, namely because of all of the RB's that become eligible. Tra Carson (transfer from Oregon) and Brandon Williams (transfer from Oklahoma) combined with Trey Williams and Ben Malena.
Oh well then I guess there is nothing at all to worry about. Enjoy Pasadena. :)

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
No, aTm has been stockpiling recruits for a couple of years now, whereas Arkansas had a one hit wonder type of class which produced the vast majoritry of their success. A&M also has some semblance of a defense which Arkansas never had. A&M isn't just Manziel, and they will be tough to beat next year barring major injuries. I still think we win, and I don't even know that it will be close, but I fully expect aTm to be tough to deal with for a few years to come.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
No! A & M will continue to win in the SEC. There's a lot of talent in Texas and A & M is going to get more than it's fair share.

Now! Hopefully, they will have a HUGE Target on their back like Alabama does most years.

They do have a very easy schedule. Looks like they play two high school teams, Rice and SHSU, prior to the Bama game.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
No! A & M will continue to win in the SEC. There's a lot of talent in Texas and A & M is going to get more than it's fair share.

Now! Hopefully, they will have a HUGE Target on their back like Alabama does most years.

They do have a very easy schedule. Looks like they play two high school teams, Rice and SHSU, prior to the Bama game.
Don't forget the UNM Lobos later in the season! :biggrin2:

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I actually think the aTm having two games before Alabama may be more to their advantage than Alabama having an off week before the game. Remember when aTm played Alabama last year it was the 9th straight game (3rd on the road) with no bye week. I had also thought about the fact that jake and Mike Matthews have a Pro OL coach at the dinner table with them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I actually think the aTm having two games before Alabama may be more to their advantage than Alabama having an off week before the game. Remember when aTm played Alabama last year it was the 9th straight game (3rd on the road) with no bye week. I had also thought about the fact that jake and Mike Matthews have a Pro OL coach at the dinner table with them.

I'd expect that as a homer attitude. However, Saban is not known for squandering open dates,so I guess we'll just have to play the game after all... :)

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I'd expect that as a homer attitude. However, Saban is not known for squandering open dates,so I guess we'll just have to play the game after all... :)
Definitely not trying to be a homer, but I can see how two games to tune up could be an advantage. Can't you? I just think some people make too much of an open date, particularly one that early in the season. Later in the season, yes, an open dates is important for healing etc.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.