Is A&M in 2013 the Arky of 2012?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
While I agree one season is not a trend. I do think TAMU has some staying power unlike Arkansas. Fertile recruiting base, a good offensive scheme.
Yes, Texas is a really good recruiting state, and they play some good offense at A&M. The saying is "it ain't the x's and o's, it's the Jimmie's and Joe's", and as long as A&M puts their Jimmie's and Joe's on one side of their team, they'll never be balanced...just like a boat, they'll list. They may not sink,but they won't win the race. Of course that may be all they wanna do out in College Station...stay afloat. hahahaha

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Oh good grief! Are you reading anything I'm typing? I never said that we received any favorable treatment, other than NOT having to face a rested team, with two weeks to practice for us, every week. Look, you are not proving to be the best of guests. The reason there are no longer LSU posters on this board is exactly what you're doing - patrolling the threads, looking for anything you see as negative to A&M and argue, argue, argue. And I've had enough of it. Next time you have something of real substance to add, post again. IF you're incapable of that, I'll help you out. You really need to go back to your home board(s)...
This is why WE Tide Fans enjoy this Board, thanks.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Now for A&M question.

Alabama had a bad quarter, but to their credit they fought & came back with a chance to win the game. Who knows what if but that's football. Every play is important.

I do not think A & M is as good as made out nor is JM.

This backyard ball caught us off guard & a lot of luck went their way in the end.

I don't think they completely implode like Arky but I do see us & LSU as not their only losses.

I do like Sumlin, think he adds class to the SEC, but I'm not impressed with their fans. Win something then talk, you got us so good for you but this year I think you are going to see a NEVER AGAIN part 2.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A&M fans see the Aggies as well...A&M fans. Anyone that doesn't get on the "A&M is a powerhouse" train is just crazy or dumb, and if it's a Bama fan it's just "sour grapes". The truth is, A&M did finish last years regular season 10-2, but should've been 9-3 and easily could've been 8-4. One 6-2 SEC season and one win in T-Town, while it was better than expected, does not make A&M a "power" by any means. LSU won in T-Town a couple of years ago...and haven't won since, and A&M ain't no LSU.
i don't know, ole miss' win over florida (with tebow) in the swamp in 2008 catapulted them to an unprecedented run in the secs, or something like that ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sumlin is good and he cares more about defense than people give him credit. He was an assistant on RC Slocum's later A&M teams which were known as the "wrecking crew" on defense. Of course, I think he was a receivers coach but I believe you can't help but learn some things regardless of your positional focus. Furthermore, I think their defense got much better by the end of the season. They held a potent Oklahoma offense which had thrashed them in past seasons to only 13 points. Oklahoma had scored 66, 66, 19, 41 against Sherman's Aggies with a 1-3 record overall.

You can tell Sumlin has some interest in defense by the pre-game BCSCG coverage when they brought up the late INT by McCarron for him to diagram. He was talking about how they were basically following their rules on motions into that kind of receiver combination. He even pointed out that Alabama was really running one of their two-point conversion plays which shows he invested some time in the tape on Alabama's offense.

I can't say that TAMU is a bigger threat to us than LSU but I think they're going to knock Arkansas down a notch in pecking order and consistently be our second biggest test of the divisional matchups.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can't say that TAMU is a bigger threat to us than LSU but I think they're going to knock Arkansas down a notch in pecking order and consistently be our second biggest test of the divisional matchups.
The reason I believe A&M is the bigger threat is because of the very reason people seem to think they will take a step back - LSU lost a ridiculous amount of talent (with at least 10 underclassmen declaring for the NFL draft). If LSU wins the West next year, Les will deserve COTY awards without question.

I expect A&M to be our biggest challenge.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess I'm thinking longterm, but you're right...TAMU is probably the best team on the schedule at this juncture. Of course, who thought TAMU would be our second hardest game and only loss in January 2012? I anticipate at least one team on our schedule ends up being a relative surprise. Probably Auburn as much as it pains me.

harleyspoon

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Answer to the OP's question: "Absolutely not." Other points discussed in thread:

1. A&M as a program is still very much building and not anywhere close to challenging LSU and Bama as top programs in the SEC. But, there is platform being built and processes being implemented that can lead one to have some optimism for the future.

2. In 2012, A&M beat Bama in the first half by six points. At halftime Saban went into the locker room and rallied his team, made adjustments and Bama beat A&M by one point in the second half. Bama will be better rested and better prepared for A&M in 2013. A&M will have a better offense in 2013. A&M has some holes to fill in their defense...but it will be their second year in the same scheme....quality of A&M's defense in 2013 is a big question mark. Anyway you cut it.....the 2013 game on paper looks exciting. And..anyway you cut it....Bama should be favored in that game. Any reporter saying otherwise is just looking for readers.

The reason I believe A&M is the bigger threat is because of the very reason people seem to think they will take a step back - LSU lost a ridiculous amount of talent (with at least 10 underclassmen declaring for the NFL draft). If LSU wins the West next year, Les will deserve COTY awards without question.

I expect A&M to be our biggest challenge.
I agree but it may not matter though. If they have a bullseye placed on them I believe they'll crack under the pressure. If they go in playing like it's still 2012 they'll find themselves on the outside looking in.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Another program that might end up like TAMU was for us in 2012 (an unexpectedly high-quality opponent) is Ole Miss. Not saying they'll beat us but it won't be a cakewalk...getting them in T-town again is probably big.

I know our schedule looks like a 2-game season right now but I have a hunch we'll get 4 quality regular season games out of the schedule when it all plays out. Heck, Ole Miss was probably our 4th or 5th best opponent this season regardless of record. Sadly, some SEC teams didn't play us as hard as even WKU though.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Only is Sumlin is caught with a babe on the back of a Harley, then proceeds to get the boot from an embarrassed university, which in turn hires a ringer like John L to man the ship for one year. Then you might see that kind of total collapse.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.