Is A&M in 2013 the Arky of 2012?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Are you talkin' to me?! LOL
Most fans from other schools come to talk about the Tide....on this Tide Board

Aggies are always talking bout Aggies....

Just personally it gets old....

I get the excitement, but jeez, y'all have won nothing of substance since Coach Bryant....I'd be happy to talk about the Wonder That is Aggies once you guys win a Championship of some kind.....

And the 3 loss 98 season Big 12 Championship doesn't count

Last edited:

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Here's my thoughts...I would revel in the fact that I had such an awesome game in Tuscaloosa. Then I would have nightmares about the game next year. Somehow, I believe CNS will exact retribution. If Mr Football can survive that, he's one hell of a player.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I get the excitement, but jeez, y'all have won nothing of substance since Coach Bryant....I'd be happy to talk about the Wonder That is Aggies once you guys win a Championship of some kind.....

And the 3 loss 98 season Big 12 Championship doesn't count
Well I can understand that, but since the title of the thread mentions Aggies and Arky I thought that was what the topic was. Others brought the Tide into the discussion, but the original premise was that the Aggies would be as bad as Arky and no mention was made of the Tide.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011

It never fails. The respectful poster from another team who hangs around eventually begins to post with an 'edge' for their own team and against us the longer and the more they hang around (B1G has been one very obvious exception). I'll only say that I've never understood why opposing fans hang out on another team's boards when eventually the result will inevitably become 'testy' or perhaps outright belligerent.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm still not sure I understand the idea behind this thread. Is the suggestion that the Aggies will have a colossal meltdown next season akin to Arky's from 2012? I'm not sure where that idea comes from, but I find it preposterous. While I think we're in the better position to win the west next season, I suspect the Aggies will be nipping at our heals all season long. They lost some talent, but they have tons in reserves, not unlike us (granted, we're more deeply stocked with top-shelf talent, but the Aggies have serious athletes).

I think the chances of them melting down are literally about 0.1% of their chances of winning the west.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hey everyone - the question is whether aTm will have an Arky meltdown, not who will win the game September 14. They won't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well I would say "blindly" means where one team wasn't given a more favorable schedule even if it was to make up for past "inequities". I guess it is a moot point though with me, since i don't see an off week as that much of an advantage in the second week of the season. Sorry, even though I lived in Alabama at the time in question, I didn't follow Alabama football. Always followed the Aggies.
Oh good grief! Are you reading anything I'm typing? I never said that we received any favorable treatment, other than NOT having to face a rested team, with two weeks to practice for us, every week. Look, you are not proving to be the best of guests. The reason there are no longer LSU posters on this board is exactly what you're doing - patrolling the threads, looking for anything you see as negative to A&M and argue, argue, argue. And I've had enough of it. Next time you have something of real substance to add, post again. IF you're incapable of that, I'll help you out. You really need to go back to your home board(s)...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't think the Aggies situation is the same. Arkansas had been strong for several years before collapsing after the coaching change. The Aggies came out of nowhere last year after being down with a new coach and a Heisman QB nobody had heard of prior to last season. An Aggie collapse would be chalked up to one year wonders and people figuring out Manzeil.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't see an Arkansas-style meltdown happening without the same kind of leadership vacuum Arkansas had.
I frankly don't see a parallel, other than wondering if they're going to be a one-shot wonder. The whole conference has had a season to scout their tendencies, so they will do no more sneaking up on their opponents...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To hit on the bye week question from a few pages back. I don't think their is undue emphasis on the bye week. I think the grind of the SEC schedule makes bye weeks more important. Also, I put a lot of faith in our staff with two weeks to prepare for a team. The combination of the SEC grind and our exceptional coaching staff makes the bye week something to watch for on the schedule. Also, with the quality of coaching in the SEC top to bottom...you have to look out for your opponent's bye weeks.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I frankly don't see a parallel, other than wondering if they're going to be a one-shot wonder. The whole conference has had a season to scout their tendencies, so they will do no more sneaking up on their opponents...
I think what we're going to find out about Manziel this upcoming season is his makeup above the shoulders. Love him or hate him, the thing about Tebow that made him great from his Wildcat package days to taking over the starting role and through his Senior year was the guy had immense competitive competitor. He didn't get caught up in the trappings of success, he didn't become satisfied. I think he would have went out there on one leg if it gave the Florida Gators a better chance of winning.

When you're as special as Manziel is athletically, it is typically how special they are between ears that makes them legends and not just a flash in the pan. I don't know about Manziel. He seems to be living the life - legally, NCAA Infractions Committee - and enjoying the fame. I don't know if Manziel has to improve much to still be a terror to defenses but it will get harder for him to reproduce the excellence with every talented team gunning for him.

I know most Aggies don't realize this, but it seems under Saban since he's gotten going that when the media starts saying someone has their number that they get their just desserts the next time around. It happened to Florida in 2009 and LSU in the championship game.

Last edited:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Thanks for the kind words. Coming from the Big 12, I never remember opposing teams putting so much emphasis on scheduling an off week before a particular game. That apparently is something that is a big part of the Alabama strategy, since such a large percentage of the fans bring it up. Has it always been that way or something that is Saban specific? I haven't been on other SEC team boards, so I don't know if they talk about their teams off weeks in the same way. Only on this board because I live in Alabama.
In the past many of Alabama's SEC opponents had scheduled a bye week before they played Alabama. It was so bad that the SEC office had to step in and stop the practice. It would be a disadvantage if everyone you played had an extra week to plan and rest. It may not be a big deal in the Big 12 but with the physical style of the SEC having a week off can be an advantage if you have a good coaching staff. Steve Spurrier used it perfectly in his 2010 game vs Alabama.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Thanks for the kind words. Coming from the Big 12, I never remember opposing teams putting so much emphasis on scheduling an off week before a particular game. That apparently is something that is a big part of the Alabama strategy, since such a large percentage of the fans bring it up. Has it always been that way or something that is Saban specific? I haven't been on other SEC team boards, so I don't know if they talk about their teams off weeks in the same way. Only on this board because I live in Alabama.
Byes are a hot topic with Bama fans because of the grossly unfair manner in which the SEC office has assigned them to Bama opponents. Since 1992, when the SEC expanded and the office took over the conference scheduling, Bama has played more games against teams coming off a bye week than the rest of the conference combined.

Bama has had an average of 6 conference teams per year with open dates before their game with Bama. Prior to 2010, 3 or 4 of them would use that open date for a bye and 3 or 2 of them would schedule cupcakes. Bama would complain each year, nothing would be done, and life would go on. In 2010, the SEC wound up with egg on their face because all 6 teams in which they gave an open date before Bama used that date for a bye. The 6 games were the last 6 conference games of the year, therefore, Bama played the entire last two months of the 2010 season on an uneven playing field. After it was all over, poor Michigan State learned what it was like to play that Bama team on an even playing field with the same amount of rest, healing, and preparation.

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010
I have gone on the record (and got pilloried for it) that Manziel is another one of those flash and dash players who IF YOU EVER LAY A HIT ON HIM is frightented.
This theory could work if it takes into account Manziel driving the length of the field in two plays with the game in the balance to score the stay-ahead TD.

Last edited:
Oh boy...
A&M is not an elite team or program whatsoever. Flash in the pan... They came out of nowhere for one season now fans of Aggies think they've won it all. Just last year they couldn't hold huge leads in games now we are suppose to see them on top for years to come. They haven't been consistent.

Now I could eat my words but I think they drop off like Auburn in 2011. Once teams adjust to them and that offense they won't be able to do anything.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
A&M fans see the Aggies as well...A&M fans. Anyone that doesn't get on the "A&M is a powerhouse" train is just crazy or dumb, and if it's a Bama fan it's just "sour grapes". The truth is, A&M did finish last years regular season 10-2, but should've been 9-3 and easily could've been 8-4. One 6-2 SEC season and one win in T-Town, while it was better than expected, does not make A&M a "power" by any means. LSU won in T-Town a couple of years ago...and haven't won since, and A&M ain't no LSU.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
While I agree one season is not a trend. I do think TAMU has some staying power unlike Arkansas. Fertile recruiting base, a good offensive scheme.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.