Vols fans all up in arms with Coach Saban as guest speaker in Tennessee

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I will be attending this event as my good friend is the President of the Chamber there. Here is a sample of one out of several emails he has received regarding the event. The funny thing is that they have sold over 950 tickets already, and have had to move the event to a football stadium close by...... FYI, they had Fulmer and some key members of the 1998 national championship to speak at this event last year and sold just over 250 tickets total.....enjoy

It was great talking to you on Friday. The email below is just one of the many we have received. It is really amazing how some of these people are acting. I have attached the billboard – it is on I-75 not far from the Lenoir City exit. I’m glad you are going to be here for the dinner – if you’ll send me your address I’ll get the tickets in the mail this week.
Have a great day.

I thought it was a joke when I read that the Chamber of Commerce in Athens was inviting Nick Saban to speak!! If this is true, then I have lost ALL respect for your organization! I can only hope that the people who made this decison are not TN fans because that would be the biggest "stab in the back"
they could make. I can only assume we have a Bama lover sitting on this committee/board or whatever you call it and this person had enough "power"
to make this happen.

This makes me want to NEVER support anything in Athens ever again. I have relatives there but I will do my best to never do business in Athens. I hope the guy who posted this on Vol Chat can turn a lot of people against you if you truly did this. I don't want to hear that this isn't about football....bull!!!! Yes it is...the bottom line is that you are in TN. You would NEVER find a city or town that is fairly close to the home of the Crimson Turds that would DARE invite TN's coach to speak. NEVER!!!! Why?!
Because AL folks are too loyal and they wouldn't buy the ticket to the event...that's why?!

I have already read the response you sent someone and I have this to say about it..

1) Nick Saban isn't going to benefit the Athens community any more than a great leader from TN!!!!! Period!!!!

2) I grew up in Monroe County and your argument that Sweetwater has fans of other teams is correct but that's the case in Tuscaloosa, AL or anywhere you look!!!! And for your information, I can assure you that at least 80% of the people in Sweetwater are die-hard TN fans so that argument is extremely weak!!

3) No, the businesses may not have made the decision but YOU represent them and you made the decision. Someone has to pay for this pathetic decision so the only way many of us can do that is to stop spending money in Athens.
That's our right of course!

4) Regardless of what you or anyone who had anything to do with this decision may think, you CANNOT be so naive as to think that Saban agreed out of the goodness of his heart...please....this shrewd person is doing it to benefit recruiting...PERIOD!! Don't for a second think differently or you are a fool!

So, on behalf of the vast number of TN fans, thank you for doing your part in helping Saban and the hated AL program. I can only hope that people are not dumb enough to support your event. I know I would absolutely throw away any ticket to this event if I knew you invited someone like him. We'll see if true Vol fans support you or if the AL fans who do happen to live in our great state will be the ones to fill the room. I can only hope it ends up being the supporters of that program who show up. No true die-hard fan would dare support this...

Congrats on showing your true colors...I imagine it is crimson and white.
Perhaps you should move there where you can listen to Saban all the time rather than bring that crap here to Big Orange Country!!!!

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
"What Goes Around..Comes Around"..And it's coming around really hard on The Barn & The Viles..The best part of it..Their bad times are self inflicted wounds..J
It seems like they both just came apart at the appearance of Saban at Bama. They both came off of pretty good seasons in 2007 to just completely fall apart in 2008 and both Chubby and Tubby were told to hit the road. It's been up and down for the barn, but mainly just down for the viles. :biggrin:

TooFullOfBama

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 6, 2013
Atlanta, GA
So, the guy who has won 3 of the last 4 crystal footballs, the guy who has never uttered (or is it uddered...:biggrin: ) a bad word about ewe tee, the guy who promoted Coach Dooley to the point that ewe tee hired him as HC...suddenly HE is the nexus of ebil (sarcastic typo) in the world. He's coming to Tennessee to speak! Eunice, lock up the girls in the cellar, behind the still, and get me my shootin' iron!!!!

All because he consistently makes ewe tee look like East Popcorn State every time we play them. Oh well, such is the SEC.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
This is the part I love....."The funny thing is that they have sold over 950 tickets already, and have had to move the event to a football stadium close by...... FYI, they had Fulmer and some key members of the 1998 national championship to speak at this event last year and sold just over 250 tickets total.....enjoy"

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Tennessee is my least favorite team in all of sports. If they played Notre Dame I would don a Leprechaun outfit and pipe the Irish fight song throughout my neighborhood. I have absolutely NOTHING for Tennessee.
Sip, I believe you and I were separated at birth. Couldn't agree more.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
While I love the story and find this funny, I'd feel the same way as the Vols fans if Phat Phil were coming to Jasper to speak.

I hope CNS comes to west Tennessee. It's a much better recruiting area and I'd buy a ticket.

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
While I love the story and find this funny, I'd feel the same way as the Vols fans if Phat Phil were coming to Jasper to speak.

I hope CNS comes to west Tennessee. It's a much better recruiting area and I'd buy a ticket.
Living in Medina, I'd be right there with you.

I wouldn't go listen to phil if he was giving a clinic on my neighborhood street.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
On the one hand, the local chamber of commerce is trying to raise money and help its local membership. On the other hand, things like this provide a local forum that certainly will not hurt Alabama recruiting in the area. It does not surprise me that TN fans with no connection to local business would be upset.

IMO, the financial health / development of their local community should be the greater priority.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
If that University burned down tomorrow I couldn't be happier. They earned every bit of their misery on or off the field. I'm just glad we can be a big part of it.

I should have said that since they may actually burn down the school to collect the insurance money at this point.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
On the one hand, the local chamber of commerce is trying to raise money and help its local membership. On the other hand, things like this provide a local forum that certainly will not hurt Alabama recruiting in the area. It does not surprise me that TN fans with no connection to local business would be upset.

IMO, the financial health / development of their local community should be the greater priority.
Except that D-1 prospects in east Tennessee are very few. It is far from being a recruiting "hot-bed". Therefore, the recruiting arguement they make is invalid.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Except that D-1 prospects in east Tennessee are very few. It is far from being a recruiting "hot-bed". Therefore, the recruiting arguement they make is invalid.
Outside of Memphis, Tennessee in general is not a recruiting hotbed. They've had to go into GA and FL for years.The 2014 class out of TN will actually be a very good class for their state, so I think some of their insecurities are coming out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.