Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Athlon's Top 15 SEC Football Teams In The BCS Era

People tend to underrate special teams and that was my discriminator for these top teams because everything is so close to equal among the two main phases. Also, it is fair to say just comparing the 2009 and 2011 seasons that special teams were a factor between 12-0 and 11-1 in the regular season. Tiffin nailed some tough FGs to get the needed 12 points to beat Tennessee while Cody blocked two attempts. Javy had some big returns against Auburn that induced some important bad punts.

In the '11 LSU loss, the special teams were a disaster from kicking to returning. Something one can hardly afford when you don't have the offense clicking.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC luvthat_TIDE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Atlon's Top 15 SEC Football Teams In The BCS Era

When I read title, I thought that is a stupid thread. There are only 14 teams in the league and that just started this year. Found out who is the stupid one. Any way RTR on the list.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBoy View Post
    Pretty good list. I'd change 04 Barn with 10 Barn though
    Dude seriously? I hate auburn, but that '04 team would have plain and simple embarrassed $CAM and company.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't think 2010 Auburn could beat any of the streak champions besides possibly 2007 LSU. I have both '07 LSU and '10 Auburn below teams that didn't even win the title ('09 Florida and '11 LSU). I consider the '07 LSU and '10 Auburn teams among the greatest beneficiaries of circumstances. Auburn caught a down defensive year in the SEC to make a title run with a wholly offensively-focused team work. They'd be this year's TAMU any other recent season. 2007 had every single bounce go their way in the polls despite losing to two 5-loss teams.

Also, before a lurker Auburn fan catches wind of this and cries foul in their message board backyards...I'm not arguing whether Auburn was a deserving national champion. Auburn was clearly the best team in 2010 but this is an argument about "all-time" type comparisons. I don't think their team is comparable to most of the other better BCS teams from this conference.
    Last edited by rgw; January 28th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonJag's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If I died tonight, I'd go to my grave thinking that the 2011 Alabama football team was the most dominant college football team I ever saw. Not sure any thing or any argument could change my mind.
    "We just gotta stop that lil' inside trap." - Joe Kines

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

4 of the top 6 coached by nick saban. Wow.

BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

If not for a odd loss to Louisiana Tech and a overtime loss to Michigan in the orange bowl, the '99 team would've been up there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer15 View Post
    If not for a odd loss to Louisiana Tech and a overtime loss to Michigan in the orange bowl, the '99 team would've been up there.
    The 1999 team was probably the most talented Alabama team between the 1992 and 2009 seasons. I think if Coach Stallings could have given us a solid decade, he would have went out with a title with that team. I can't blame him for leaving when he did considering his son, John Mark, and the contentious relationship he had with the administration (for reason I've never really had explained to me very well).

Anyway, point being: the fact that team went 10-3 and beat Spurrier twice to win the conference despite some deep-seated coaching issues is a testament to just how talented they were in 1999.