Blog: My analysis of Amari Cooper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
Hey guys... I've posted a link to my blog before when I broke down the Yeldon screen against LSU and the final 4 offensive plays versus A&M... here is my breakdown of Amari Cooper... the future NFL Hall of Famer. :biggrin2:

I coach high school receivers and I've been very interested in him all year for obvious reasons... he's a very special player!

Enjoy.

http://blockdownkickout.blogspot.com/

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Thank you, I really enjoyed reading that. It's exciting to think about seeing Amari for a couple more years at Bama. The talent coach has brought in at receiver is amazing. Thanks again for breaking down the X's and O's.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing about Cooper that became immediately obvious when his playing time went up after White's injury was just how skilled he was for a freshman. A lot of freshmen who make an impact at his position simply "out-quick'd" or "out-muscled" people while their overall game lacked total polish. While White going down gave him his platform, I'm not so sure he wouldn't have ended up being a starter shortly after the Ole Miss game anyway. His touches and snaps were going up each week early in the season then dramatically rose from the Ole Miss game onward.

I don't know if Alabama has ever had a receiver that was as ready to play out of the gate as him. At least in terms of being a complete receiver. He can make the possession type catches that require the trade craft of the position like quick, crisp cuts on routes. He can make the timing route catches that require a great feel of the field and rhythm with the QB. He can also make the pure and simple athletic plays like high pointing the ball in coverage and burning guys with speed over the top. While Julio was more of an athlete playing receiver while he was here, Cooper looks like a receiver in every concept of the position. He's not going to give DBs piggyback rides like Julio but his complete skill set makes that unnecessary.

Cooper might have cleared 1200 yards receiving if he could have gotten on the field more a little earlier in the season. That is amazing considering the best seasons by receivers here at Alabama hover right around 1000 yards. 11 TD receptions has to be at or near the top too.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The thing about Cooper that became immediately obvious when his playing time went up after White's injury was just how skilled he was for a freshman. A lot of freshmen who make an impact at his position simply "out-quick'd" or "out-muscled" people while their overall game lacked total polish. While White going down gave him his platform, I'm not so sure he wouldn't have ended up being a starter shortly after the Ole Miss game anyway. His touches and snaps were going up each week early in the season then dramatically rose from the Ole Miss game onward.

I don't know if Alabama has ever had a receiver that was as ready to play out of the gate as him. At least in terms of being a complete receiver. He can make the possession type catches that require the trade craft of the position like quick, crisp cuts on routes. He can make the timing route catches that require a great feel of the field and rhythm with the QB. He can also make the pure and simple athletic plays like high pointing the ball in coverage and burning guys with speed over the top. While Julio was more of an athlete playing receiver while he was here, Cooper looks like a receiver in every concept of the position. He's not going to give DBs piggyback rides like Julio but his complete skill set makes that unnecessary.

Cooper might have cleared 1200 yards receiving if he could have gotten on the field more a little earlier in the season. That is amazing considering the best seasons by receivers here at Alabama hover right around 1000 yards. 11 TD receptions has to be at or near the top too.
I can't rank him ahead of JJ, because of the different skill sets, but I'd say they are close to equal. JJ was a running back until his soph year, when he basically outgrew the position and his HS hired a pass-oriented HC. He's still showing that with the Falcons. It's clear that the opposing team doesn't enjoy tackling him any more than the opposing DBs in college. Coop is more like AJ Green, IMO, with his precise routes, silky-smooth moves and extraordinary hands. Isn't it nice to be able to compare and contrast two WRs just a couple of years apart? :D

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
Julio and Cooper have completely different skill sets. And were in completely different situations. It's tough to compare them.

Julio had JPW throwing to him and was facing Joe Haden and Patrick Peterson and Eric Berry. And he was in his 3rd or so year playing WR. He was also so hyped up, that opposing teams had a gameplan to contain him.

I doubt anyone went into a Bama game this year thinking Cooper would be the difference maker (their mistake). And AJ threw a lot more and a lot better than JPW could ever dream of.

The biggest thing Julio has on top of size and speed and strength is a work ethic. I'm not saying Cooper is lazy by any stretch, but Ive yet to hear Saban call him the hardest worker on the time. And the work is paying off in the NFL. Julio has been dominating.

Yea, I'm a homer. But Julio is shredding defenses in the NFL and had some amazing college games with not-anything-special QBs. Amari is doing what is expected out of any receiver with a great QB, great OLine, and great RBs: dominating. I might change my mind at the end of next year, but let's not get too crazy yet.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
I tried to stay away from comparing Julio and Amari in any way.. like others have said they obviously are different receivers but Amari is special. I guess he still needs to convince some people but technically he is darn near perfect. As Saban loves, Amari is a very consistent performer in all that he does. We are VERY lucky to have him for two more seasons!

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Seems like Amari was injured at the start of the season but I may be wrong. I told my son and daughter after seeing him play in the Under Armour All-star game when he was just a commitment last winter, that Amari Cooper would be a name they will remember! Its good to be right! ;)

Remember he didn't play at LSU, ankle injury.he could have approach 13-1400 yards this season if would have played whole games. I'm not saying he is better than Julio(though he does have better hands), it's an apples to oranges type situation. I'm anxious to see how teams defend him next year. He has the opportunity to go down in Bama history.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.