Ole Miss Recruiting Question

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember former OM great, Billy "Dog" Brewer (HC) paying players like there was no tomorrow. He even paid an AA LB from TN to transfer to Ole Miss. They got hammered pretty hard and I believe that's when Tubs took over. After Brewer was fired that is.
It seems to be happening all over again...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
In my experience throwing cash around will bring you victory in the rivals rankings but not on the football field. The kind of players who are drawn to that are not the kinds of players who work hard, listen to coaches, stay out of trouble, and get better. Ed Orgeron recruited all kind of talent to Ole Miss and they couldn't even beat Mike Shula.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In my experience throwing cash around will bring you victory in the rivals rankings but not on the football field. The kind of players who are drawn to that are not the kinds of players who work hard, listen to coaches, stay out of trouble, and get better. Ed Orgeron recruited all kind of talent to Ole Miss and they couldn't even beat Mike Shula.
There is a lot of truth in this. Also, they're not really hurting us as much as they're hurting other teams, particularly in the west. But, when they have guys we're recruiting suddenly place them in the top three, with only a couple of weeks to go, and for no easily apparent reason, I generally feel like we may have dodged a bullet...

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Seems to me if this is so universally known, it would be easy enough for someone to pick up the phone and contact Indianapolis. But what do I know.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I normally err on the side of caution when this type of thing comes up. I don't ever want to take any credit away from any hard working parents that provide in surplus for their kids.

In this case though, knowing what I know, Ole Miss is all in.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
Everyone seems so assured that they are cheating on the scale of Aubbie. If true, I would think that more schools would be screaming bloody murder. Maybe the NZAA just has too much on it's plate to mess with Ole Sis. Other than Connor, are we in competition with them on anybody?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Everyone seems so assured that they are cheating on the scale of Aubbie. If true, I would think that more schools would be screaming bloody murder. Maybe the NZAA just has too much on it's plate to mess with Ole Sis. Other than Connor, are we in competition with them on anybody?
After his visit there this weekend, Tunsil put Ole Miss in his top three. His list was a top two until then. Also, Bama was after Golson a few weeks ago.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This might have something to do with the suspicions...

The Twitterverse and football message boards were burning up Tuesday morning over an alleged photo of Laquon Treadwell, the nation’s top wide receiver, holding a stack of money in his hand.

A photo making the rounds Tuesday allegedly showed Treadwell, who is verbally committed to Ole Miss, holding a stack of money, including at least three hundred dollar bills. The photo was allegedly posted to his SuccessfulQuon Instagram account, but was quickly deleted. A search of his Instagram account Tuesday showed no signs of the photo, though many have alleged screenshots of the photo.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I normally err on the side of caution when this type of thing comes up. I don't ever want to take any credit away from any hard working parents that provide in surplus for their kids.

In this case though, knowing what I know, Ole Miss is all in.

A word worth heeding, y'all.

Mack is incredibly gracious in these matters, so if he knows, then he knows.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.